• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hopefully the mods will let this thread run here for a bit rather than batting it to 'ex-players' as I know from a post I ran back in April last year on Derek that this will be of interest to a lot of you.

After meeting Derek last April in Blackpool at the time of reaching my '92' we discussed the idea of him coming down to Roots. Well, its finally been sorted, as Derek will be coming along to our last match of the regular season v Bury on Sunday 30 April (which is a noon kick-off).

Coming along with him will be his mate and old Southend striking partner Keith Mercer. Derek was with us from '80 to '82 scoring 32 goals in 103 appearances, Keith was here from '80 to '83 scoring 35 goals in 132 appearances. Both were members of our record-breaking team of the 80/81 season. I've not met Keith but I can certainly vouch that Derek is a great guy (he wrote the Foreword for my book) and he is really looking forward to coming along.

I'll be with them in the Legends Lounge and they will be introduced on the pitch just before kick-off as per usual club form. However, I'm sure Derek and Keith will be up for meeting folk and having a pic or two. Question is how to organise that - it being the last game of the season (aside from the play-off possibility) doing something after the match might not work so I thought I could bring them both down to the front of the East Stand main reception at possibly 11.15 am and maybe we could get a group photo which I'd then share around to you all.

Anyway, just an idea, if anyone has any better suggestion let me know (I'm trying to do this bit separate to the club as they have their routines and especially with it being the last game requesting anything different from them might not work)

If you'd like to take part in the 11.15 am meet and group pic please let me know (either by reply to this post or personal message). I'll then get something confirmed and the message out re that nearer the time.

I was hoping to do a little more in getting one or two other ex Shrimpers from 80/81 along (including Dave Smith) but the Legends Lounge is now sold out for Bury so anything else will have to be for another day.

On another post recently someone suggested it would be good to know in advance re the legends attending - I was told that Mark Bentley will be along for the Oldham game, I'm trying to find out details re any others.

Cheers,

SS:loyalsupporter:

That's good news about Benno, he should have been there for the postponed Bolton game!

Hopefully the mods will let this thread run here for a bit rather than batting it to 'ex-players' as I know from a post I ran back in April last year on Derek that this will be of interest to a lot of you.

After meeting Derek last April in Blackpool at the time of reaching my '92' we discussed the idea of him coming down to Roots. Well, its finally been sorted, as Derek will be coming along to our last match of the regular season v Bury on Sunday 30 April (which is a noon kick-off).

Coming along with him will be his mate and old Southend striking partner Keith Mercer. Derek was with us from '80 to '82 scoring 32 goals in 103 appearances, Keith was here from '80 to '83 scoring 35 goals in 132 appearances. Both were members of our record-breaking team of the 80/81 season. I've not met Keith but I can certainly vouch that Derek is a great guy (he wrote the Foreword for my book) and he is really looking forward to coming along.

I'll be with them in the Legends Lounge and they will be introduced on the pitch just before kick-off as per usual club form. However, I'm sure Derek and Keith will be up for meeting folk and having a pic or two. Question is how to organise that - it being the last game of the season (aside from the play-off possibility) doing something after the match might not work so I thought I could bring them both down to the front of the East Stand main reception at possibly 11.15 am and maybe we could get a group photo which I'd then share around to you all.

Anyway, just an idea, if anyone has any better suggestion let me know (I'm trying to do this bit separate to the club as they have their routines and especially with it being the last game requesting anything different from them might not work)

If you'd like to take part in the 11.15 am meet and group pic please let me know (either by reply to this post or personal message). I'll then get something confirmed and the message out re that nearer the time.

I was hoping to do a little more in getting one or two other ex Shrimpers from 80/81 along (including Dave Smith) but the Legends Lounge is now sold out for Bury so anything else will have to be for another day.

On another post recently someone suggested it would be good to know in advance re the legends attending - I was told that Mark Bentley will be along for the Oldham game, I'm trying to find out details re any others.

Cheers,

Any chance that they can be introduced on the CENTRE CIRCLE (could you suggest it?) , so we all can get an opportunity to see them? Thanks in anticipation.

Tonight just gets better and better, first i find myself in a photo on a another post (thanks Chairman Trigg) at that Bury match. And now Spence and Mercer are returning to The Hall.

Nostalgia / Memories overload. :omg:

Funny how times change, I remember them both well, but I remember when Derek Spence went through a barren spell and could not hit a cow arse with a banjo, but the one thing I remember is the crowd, never did they get on his back ,but each game he was encouraged even if the shot went twenty feet wide, some thing sadly today's crowd seem not to do
He broke the drought with a couple versus Chesterfield in front of the North Bank, the first rising like an eagle to nod home, and then the confidence came back.
Funny how one players game sticks in your memory bank
Keith Mercer solid player and imho allways under rated in that great team of the 80's

UTS

Cheers,

Keith Mercer is indeed a decent bloke. He handed out biscuits to me and my teammates when we were ball boys for a reserve team match in around 1982/1983. He and a one or two other 1st team players were around to watch. We had John Keeley in goal, and Glenn Pennyfather played one of his first reserve team matches. But the stand out thing of the evening for me was Keith handing out biscuits, and generally messing around to keep us entertained.

Great news and thanks for sharing Suffolk Shrimper. I would certainly like to be in the meet & group pic , as two early heroes of mine.
Spence was lethal and Mercer gave all of us carrying a few extra pounds a little hope :)

Next challenge ....Stevie Phillips ?! Mercer's partner in crime .

Well payed Sir .

Great news and thanks for sharing Suffolk Shrimper. I would certainly like to be in the meet & group pic , as two early heroes of mine.
Spence was lethal and Mercer gave all of us carrying a few extra pounds a little hope :)

Next challenge ....Stevie Phillips ?! Mercer's partner in crime .

Well payed Sir .

Merc' was affectionately known as 'barrel' due to his fuller figure. It will be interesting to see how he is after all these years. I remember him as a nice bloke and met him when he attended one of the SHSB Annual Dinners.

Derek Spence - a very good player and goalscorer and we were lucky (well done Dave) to be able to sign him.

I must say though that Keith Mercer was always a particular favourite of mine. A proper centre forward who scored less goals than Derek but what a player and role model.

It will be great to show our appreciation to them both tomorrow and thanks to Suffolk Shrimper for letting us know.

'Suffolk' .. I'm possibly jumping the gun, here, but are the guys meeting supporters and so on, before and after the game?

If so, I'd be interested in saying hello, if it works out.

'Suffolk' .. I'm possibly jumping the gun, here, but are the guys meeting supporters and so on, before and after the game?

If so, I'd be interested in saying hello, if it works out.

Andy - folk certainly seem interested about Derek and Keith coming along but I wasn't inundated with responses to the suggestion of meeting them for a pic so have not set up anything specific. A couple are coming along to get the book and have it signed by them but I don't see any prob in you coming along and saying hello. I'll send you a message with my mobile number, just come along to the East Stand reception, give me a bell and I'll get you in, they will be pleased to see you. I suspect one or two more (Nobbler for one) will be popping up too.

Sounds great and thanks for the PM.

Look forward to catching up on Sunday.

Yes indeed , great work getting those two legends . But please get MIckey G to say on the microphone and get them out to centre circle , otherwise from the back of the East blacks is impossible to see .

Well Done Suffolk .

Back