• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lordbalanor

With the news that we have offered 6 contracts to youth team players, does it mean the end for the four players who are currently already on developmental contracts?

Can anyone shed any light on whether Adetayo Osifuwa, Merrick James-Lewis, Marcus Milner or Kyle Asante deserve to get a pro deal?

Also with so many players opting not to join us, can we afford to release them?

I didn't realise there were players that were currently on development contracts. The OS said that Kane Ferdinand [PRO], Alex Woodyard [PRO], Teddy Nesbitt [PRO], Daniel Bentley [PRO], Jamie Stevens [DEV] and George Smith [DEV] are being offered contracts, who are all second-year scholars, with the other second-years, Duane Ofori-Acheampong, Hicham Abdellah and Julian Okai, being released. I was surprised after hearing Duane Ofori-Acheampong wasn't going to be offered a contract as I thought he was scoring frequently for us. Also, was Hicham Abdellah the kid from that Sky 1 show (the name escapes me)?

Kyle Asante sounds like a decent prospect, having been out for a while with a lengthy injury, scoring a hat-trick on his return in the reserves and now being on the bench and getting some pitch time in the first team.

IIRC, Merrick James-Lewis was offered a pro deal at the start of the season as Sturrock thought he had a decent future at the club and could have played in the first team this season, but it hasn't happened for what ever reason.

There are a few members on here that go to reserve/youth games, so they can go into more detail about them and what chance they have of getting into the first team.

As to your last question, what is the point in keeping players if they don't have a chance at the first team, as I said in the other thread, players are always going to reject us, but there was only such a high number this time due to the fact that we needed to bring in a completely new squad.

Last edited:
Can see Asante still being here next season, apart from that, nothing to excite us with those other three imho.

Shocking Stevens didnt get a pro deal. Im a big fan of him.

The point of the development contract is that the risk is lower, you can never tell what you have with a player until he plays. For example, no-one knew that Ferdinand would make such an impact, and Sturrock thought highly of Merrick James-Lewis, but he hasn't featured much for the first team, although this may be down to his injury that he picked up. If he impresses, then most likely he will get a professional deal.

Back