• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

sufcnum1

First XI
Its all well and good with regards to the out come of Barrys red card, however, if this wasn't overturned and we dropped points at hartlepool, Barry didn't play the next 3 games, potentially that could mean a loss of up to 12pts in all, which at the end of the season could mean promotion or relegation or a cup run.

Who remembers the offside goal Jemain Defoe scored against us at White Hart Lane

What do we think about a video ref???
I'm still unsure, but in this recent situation the video ref could of watched the footage a couple of times before any decisions were made on the pitch,

Lets look at the simulation you get, ok the ref blows up for a penalty, he dived great book him and award the opposition a free kick

So yes in some circumstances IMO it will slow the game down a little, but will cut out the cheating and the correct decisions will be made correctly, at the end of the day, I think I'd be in favor of a video ref.

Would like to hear your thoughts?

Ifs and buts are pointless really. If we lost all our games last year we would have gone down, if we had won them all we would be in Leauge One and holders of the FA Cup and League Cup now.

As for video refs, its a huge massive no from me as it would completely ruin the flow of the game and not financially viable at our level.

I hate the thought of any technology in football. Its a game that covers all emotions in life, a game played and officiated by humans, humans can make mistakes. These mistakes can go for you or against you some of them become the stuff of legend. The feeling of injustice and the lows that may be felt only make the victories and highs even better. We should actively be against technology in the game. I know someone will bang on about possible monies being lost etc etc........football is more than that

Yes, we should have video refs. Not having video refs is a real Luddite position to be in. The technology is there so use it. The Defoe situation is the perfect one. A dodgy offside screwing us out of a chance to make a major semi final for probably the only time in anyone here's lifetime.

If football was invented today with the huge amounts of money at stake there's no way that complete control over huge decisions would be given over to middle-aged fat blokes waving pieces of cloth.

Yes, we should have video refs. Not having video refs is a real Luddite position to be in. The technology is there so use it. The Defoe situation is the perfect one. A dodgy offside screwing us out of a chance to make a major semi final for probably the only time in anyone here's lifetime.

If football was invented today with the huge amounts of money at stake there's no way that complete control over huge decisions would be given over to middle-aged fat blokes waving pieces of cloth.
Yes I'm with you in theory but not sure how far to go - there were 2 awful offside decisions last night in the England game. If you brought video decisions in for offsides the game would need an extra half an hour or so for reviews!

I trust you are confident you could breeze through the quite demanding fitness tests undertaken by match officials.

Of all the problems associated with refereeing football matches these days, the level of fitness of officials is just about the least cause for concern.

Ya their has to be a very fine line to as how its used. Ie the rooney goal that never was last night (or the lampard goal against the germanas) he was onside however the scotish players stopped, if they carried on untill the ball went out of play rather than the first whistle the descion can then be made, weather it was a goal or not, its not gonna take long to veiw and chose the correct outcome, its done with in seconds.
The more I think about the I like the sound of it.
Their is a lot of technology in other sports which hasn' changed their games much, and im sure their was a lot of negative feelings at the time, and I would guess their is bery few would revert back to the game with out it

I feel like the controversy partly makes the game what it is. Chatting with your mates down the pub about a great goal or a decision that could of gone either way is fantastic. I think the players have to take a lot of responsiblity. Id say 95% of decisions are correct, but when the player is up in the refs face saying he got the ball (when he didnt) or claiming that someone wasnt offside (how would you know your the other side of the pitch) only stands to make the officials jobs that much more difficult.

They even out across the season - Corr got sent off incorrectly, but they'll be a game where we get away with one, or an opposition player gets sent off for an innocuous challenge.

Video refs are also a big no no due to the costs involved for lower league clubs.

I feel like the controversy partly makes the game what it is. Chatting with your mates down the pub about a great goal or a decision that could of gone either way is fantastic. I think the players have to take a lot of responsiblity. Id say 95% of decisions are correct, but when the player is up in the refs face saying he got the ball (when he didnt) or claiming that someone wasnt offside (how would you know your the other side of the pitch) only stands to make the officials jobs that much more difficult.

Agreed. As much as I love football, I prefer the way rugby players treat the referee, and their fellow professionals. They call the ref "Sir" for a start.

Footballers need to show the ref and eachother more respect. Diving and trying to get a fellow professional into trouble (as per the Plymouth player first game of the season) does exactly the opposite.

Agreed. As much as I love football, I prefer the way rugby players treat the referee, and their fellow professionals. They call the ref "Sir" for a start.

Footballers need to show the ref and eachother more respect. Diving and trying to get a fellow professional into trouble (as per the Plymouth player first game of the season) does exactly the opposite.

Tried that a few years back with the whole "Respect" thing, didn't work....players still scream into the face of officials. Football could definitely learn a lot from rugby, and I'd be all for a type of "sin bin" too. Unsavoury incident again last night with Walcott and one of the Scots who both got booked, but no-one did anything about Hanley blatantly repeatedly shoving Walcott aggressively behind the ref's back.

Trouble is if there were millions of pounds involved in Rugby you might see it a different side to it.

I would like to see all available technology used to get the match result correct. A video ref could access replays and overturn any dodgy decisions. Disgruntled fans could offer evidence from their own hand-held devices if necessary. An offending official would be substituted after enough errors were committed. The downside is we'd need a separate seating area for the number of officials needed to do this properly (at least 20). That will be difficult at Root's Hall but would work at the new stadium as there'll be plenty of space on one side.

There's a potentially huge revenue stream being missed here - replica kits for referees and linesmen! Any official lasting the whole game would be allowed to have their name used. The money they make from these sales would encourage more idiots to take up the sport. I doubt we'd ever see anyone wearing a 'Probert' though.

I hate the thought of any technology in football. Its a game that covers all emotions in life, a game played and officiated by humans, humans can make mistakes. These mistakes can go for you or against you some of them become the stuff of legend. The feeling of injustice and the lows that may be felt only make the victories and highs even better. We should actively be against technology in the game. I know someone will bang on about possible monies being lost etc etc........football is more than that

100% agree with this

The ashes has shown that technology isn't perfect.

Very true! The whole DRS, Hotspot malarky has taken a real shine off the game, just let the umpires get on with it. Its not used as intended, more guess work hoping you get a lucky reprieve, instead of being used to rectify the odd clanger

Very true! The whole DRS, Hotspot malarky has taken a real shine off the game, just let the umpires get on with it. Its not used as intended, more guess work hoping you get a lucky reprieve, instead of being used to rectify the odd clanger

The problem with this series hasn't been Hotspot or DRS, it has been appalling decisions from the onfield and third umpires.

I hate the 'money at stake' argument. Football did not choose to have so much money at stake. It's the stupidity and recklessness of people at the top that make it all about money. Football is a game played by humans, with human error. You only have to look at the silliness of DRS in the Ashes to see technology does not always enhance things.

Back