• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Digital SLRs (possibly second hand)

pickledseal

cowboy
Wondered if anyone had any advice?

I enjoy stealing my dad's Canon D60 Digital SLR, but doesn't happen as often as I'd like. I really enjoy taking nature pics on walks around the countryside (I must be getting old!) and could do with my own piece of kit.

However this will be my first D SLR and I actually can't afford the £400-500 I'd like to spend. I was hoping to get something for £200 max (and realise this would most definitely put me in second hand market).

Any advice or suggestions of where to look would be greened and much appreciated! (I know eBay is obvious place but can be a bit of nightmare in a bidding war!)

Have you thought of a crossover, like the panasonic fx38? Leica lens, but without the expense of different lenses for each level of zoom...

If it has to be SLR then new starts at about 250 - 300 i believe

I wanted but couldn't afford DSLR, so settled for a Fuji S2000HD From Amazon

10Mp, 15 x Optical zoom and you can change just about any perameter you like. Includes rapid repeat shooting, and HD quality video. Currently £183, but you would need to add an 8 or 16 gig card to make full use of it.

Have you thought of a crossover, like the panasonic fx38? Leica lens, but without the expense of different lenses for each level of zoom...

If it has to be SLR then new starts at about 250 - 300 i believe

I have the Lumix fx28 and it's fantastic! I also have the Lumix tz5, but seeing as they are pretty much the same camera the fx28 is by far the better of the two. Paid about 250 for the fx28 at Christmas by the way which is very good value I think.

Last edited:
I have the Lumix fx28 and it's fantastic! I also have the Lumix tz5, but seeing as they are pretty much the same camera the fx28 is by far the better of the two. Paid about 250 for the fx28 at Christmas by the way which is very good value I think.

I have the 28 as well, bought for holidays last year. I understand the 38 is a bit updated but not enough to warrant a change.

Like you, have also got a "small" panasonic, think its got a 7 in the model number, for when out and about. I was hesitant as they are not a "proper" camera make, but have been extremely impressed with the picture quality of both.

Got a 12.2 mp digital camera with 5x optical zoom from Comet for £88

:'( oh dear. That's really not what this thread is about.

fisher-price-kid-digital-camera.jpg

I actually purchased my first digital slr camera the other day. It's a Sony a230 with an 18-55mm lens kit. Cost me £269.99 fom Argos and I purchased it with my Argos card so don't actually have to pay for it for another six months. Is a cracking camera to start out with and got some very good reviews online.

Sony has the advantage over nikon/canon at that price level due to the inbuilt image stabilisation, hence lenses are cheaper.

I have the 28 as well, bought for holidays last year. I understand the 38 is a bit updated but not enough to warrant a change.

Like you, have also got a "small" panasonic, think its got a 7 in the model number, for when out and about. I was hesitant as they are not a "proper" camera make, but have been extremely impressed with the picture quality of both.

Half of the features on any camera will never be used and we made a similar decision when we bought our 28, over the 38. The additional features for the additional cost just wasnt worth it.

I would say the best feature on both the Lumix cameras we have is the high speed burst, which is great for getting great photos of the kids. The 28, is that bit better as it has a flash capability on that too.

I actually purchased my first digital slr camera the other day. It's a Sony a230 with an 18-55mm lens kit. Cost me £269.99 fom Argos and I purchased it with my Argos card so don't actually have to pay for it for another six months. Is a cracking camera to start out with and got some very good reviews online.

I like the look of this one.... just need to find £300 now :)

It is an absolutely cracking camera for the money. You should apply for the Argos card so you can buy now and pay 6 months later.

It is an absolutely cracking camera for the money. You should apply for the Argos card so you can buy now and pay 6 months later.

Hmmm not sure I can get a credit card still (a long and boring story...) and that is essentially what it is right? I do have some savings that I may need to dip into....

Hmmm not sure I can get a credit card still (a long and boring story...) and that is essentially what it is right? I do have some savings that I may need to dip into....

It's not a credit card as such. The only info they ask you for on the application form is if you are employed and if you have a bank account so no credit check was involved. Took me about two weeks in total to get the card through so isn't too bad.

It's not a credit card as such. The only info they ask you for on the application form is if you are employed and if you have a bank account so no credit check was involved. Took me about two weeks in total to get the card through so isn't too bad.

Surely they do a credit check?! If not I'm in! :D

being a former argos bod, they do indeed do a credit check for the card. its essentially a store card.

Hi all,

We're in the market for a decent camera that can cover all bases really (taking good shots when on holiday, but also good for weddings etc etc). I think a true DSLRs are probably too big for what I want, but some of the bridge/superzoom cameras I've seen look excellent. We're happy with our photos for shots when out and about, so not looking for a pocket compact, but something where you can experiment a bit and take some good shots when on holiday.

One I like the look of is the Panasonic FZ150, which you can get for about £300-£350, which is roughly my budget.

Cheers

Back