• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Reg Martin

No Relation
Article on BBC about Exeter fans funding a players wages for fourth season in a row

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19327436

Our own much-maligned (on here at least) Shrimperstrust funds youth team wages I believe but what struck me was the Exeter managers comments about fans:

"The key qualities you want from supporters are loyalty, an understanding of the position the club is in, a genuine will to win and a ready eagerness to provide whatever support they can to help their team"

You wouldn't expect him to say anything else, but could that be said about Southend fans even if we had a clean start with a new owner?

I find that most visits to the Zone leave me feeling worse about the club I support and the comments in the Echo articles on SUFC by fans are nearly always negative.

It leaves me wondering is there an underlying negative culture amongst us as Southend fans that would exist even without Ron Martin?

All fans are fickle with stupid expectations.:smile:

Even before the money problems when we were getting promotions, stadiums agreed there was still a bad atmosphere on here after each loss.

Reading the Article, it seems the message is clear, that Exeter supporters are willing to go that extra mile to ensure that their club is competitive, both in football terms and financial Terms.

Think what your trying to say Charlie, is that as Southend fans we are largely negative, as a lot of people on here are against how the club is run, and maybe we should be more understanding and sympathetic about the clubs position.

I tend to agree with you on this, but I think that maybe Exeter are more transparent with their fans, and this gives confidence in the fans to want to do more. Unfortunately it appears that our club seem very secretive and keep their cards close their chest (not the old war chest I might add). This then causes fans to be come suspicious, suspicions lead to speculation and this drives rumours. these rumours are widely spread and this is how the negativity starts.

Im sure if Southend just come out and said, were in the sh!t and this is what were doing about it, bear with us we have a plan to fix it, the fans would be a lot happier than they are today, and Im sure that a lot of us would be up for schemes similar to that of Exeter because we want to help and can fully appreciate the clubs position. Because we would actually know what it is!

Reading the Article, it seems the message is clear, that Exeter supporters are willing to go that extra mile to ensure that their club is competitive, both in football terms and financial Terms.

Think what your trying to say Charlie, is that as Southend fans we are largely negative, as a lot of people on here are against how the club is run, and maybe we should be more understanding and sympathetic about the clubs position.

I tend to agree with you on this, but I think that maybe Exeter are more transparent with their fans, and this gives confidence in the fans to want to do more. Unfortunately it appears that our club seem very secretive and keep their cards close their chest (not the old war chest I might add). This then causes fans to be come suspicious, suspicions lead to speculation and this drives rumours. these rumours are widely spread and this is how the negativity starts.

Im sure if Southend just come out and said, were in the sh!t and this is what were doing about it, bear with us we have a plan to fix it, the fans would be a lot happier than they are today, and Im sure that a lot of us would be up for schemes similar to that of Exeter because we want to help and can fully appreciate the clubs position. Because we would actually know what it is!

Some may say they would be, but they would complain as to why we were in the ****.

What if the club came out and said we are in the **** and theres nothing we can do about it but grin and bear it ?

That seems to be more likely!

Back