• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do we just want to be put out of our misery?

Do we want out of this misery?

• Total voters
No, no, no, no.

The current situation is utterly miserable but if we were to go bust, make no mistake we would never be a football league team again and we would probably never play at this level again.

The football world has changed. AFC Wimbledon notably went all the way back into the Football League but they are a massive outlier. In reality, our fanbase would probably split, we'd lose loads of fans forever, not to mention a generation of supporters - how many schoolkids would be interested in supporting an Essex Senior League site, probably even fewer than are interested in watching a National League side that loses every week. There are plenty of local non-league club who would enjoy taking many of our floating supporters off our hands, probably for good.

We'd lose our ground, and the borough of Southend is not blessed with a vast array of green spaces to build new ones. We'd end up groundsharing and may never play in the town again.

The first year or two might be fun, we'd likely get a promotion and enjoy some good times at first but we would never come back the same. Even Wimbledon, who were a regular in the top flight for years, are now a small club in the lower leagues who do well to survive at L1 level every year. I realise that sounds like utopia to us right now but we have so much more potential than that.

Ron Martin is not going to live forever. I don't think he's enjoyed the last few years very much either and surely, surely, he can't cling on forever.
Completely agree. For me personally if Southend dies then my support for a football club also dies. Phoenix club would be if no interest to me and I'd get my football fix by upping my support for England and by starting to attend those matches instead.

Things have to come to a head soon. It's clear this stadium is a total fantasy. It will never be built.. Which will leave Ron penniless and the club in deep trouble unless someone steps in. I believe there are people out there who would be interested in taking it on, but it's not a certainty.
The stadium is an afterthought now. Housing is driving the project these days. The reality is we will have moved from a 37,000 capacity supporter built and club owned stadium (circa 1993*) to what is likely to be a rented pitch with a couple of stands and a sub 5000 capacity suited for non league football in the space of 40 years. Pessimistic? Maybe.

*sorry missed the demolition of most the south bank around 1987. But you see the pattern

Last edited:
Is it just me who tends to think that Ron's master plan from when we was pushing for championship football and beyond is now abit outdated and redundant.

The whole idea was for the club to be self sustainable in a shiny new stadium full of more fans, cheaper maintenance and running cost making more money.
That's a pipe dream now as at this level no matter how nice and shiny the stadium is the crowds wont increase anymore than they we are getting at the moment.
So first off Ron needs to build the stadium and training facilities, then once the club are moved he can build his housing and then MAYBE look to sell the club, that could be what anything from 5-10 years down the line...
Looking at the current decline of the club and the financial state we have been in for the last few seasons we are going to be very very lucky to have a club by the time that comes along.
Agree. I think the idea about a new stadium helping self sufficiency is where a club benefit 7 days a week from commercial activity in addition to match day income.
Here though, the current best case scenario seems to me that the football club will never own (or benefit) from such revenue. They will merely be a tenant to whichever company Ron sets up as the Landlord.

so even if he then sells and runs, what is someone buying - an asset less football club paying rent for a 3 sided stadium with little chance to generate additional revenue.

Agree. I think the idea about a new stadium helping self sufficiency is where a club benefit 7 days a week from commercial activity in addition to match day income.
Here though, the current best case scenario seems to me that the football club will never own (or benefit) from such revenue. They will merely be a tenant to whichever company Ron sets up as the Landlord.

so even if he then sells and runs, what is someone buying - an asset less football club paying rent for a 3 sided stadium with little chance to generate additional revenue.
The only thing the club had going for it in a sale was the football league status, without that its worthless.
Less than worthless actually because it has pay a below par teams contracts for however long they are in place.

I hate stuff that won’t change no matter what. Should not be allowed to squat on a cultural asset. **** Martin. Not interested in anything he’s got to say anymore. You’ve had your fun **** off.

I tell you what. I’ll start a ****ing club on Monday and aim to ground share with a local team next season. I’ll start a Sunday team and a Saturday team all part of the same set up. We will start a youth team and start small to ground some foundations.

I can probably even get someone to do nutrition and gym session routines.

Probably get a good discount for bulk sign ups at a local gym.

We can film every single game with my Veo camera. We can then live stream every game after we’ve built interest. I’ve got a manager ready and hungry players to start at a Saturday&Sunday level. As of next season.

I know a lot of local players and if you want we can get £30 a week for 11 players together as well as a Lucozade & Mars bar every week. To up the standard.

Who’s in?

What thought actually needs to be put in to it? You don’t need a 30 year plan to start a new football team. Shrimperzone FC had its own team for ages and it was full of people who put in a lot of effort into it.

I’ll personally sponsor the clubs shirt to pay for a home pitch on a Sunday.

I know a shirt supplier.

All these things are there.

Driving me mad
What level in the pyramid are Shrimperzone FC playing at now?

I agree with a lot of what you say but if you start again, you really are starting again and you are relying on thousands of fans turning up to watch an Essex Senior League club.

We would lose literally thousands of supporters for good.

I don't have an answer. Our situation right now is horrendous. Tied to the whim of one man who knows **** all about football and is not going to give an inch. But we still have our ground, our name and our supporters. And if we were to start again we'd lose most of that.

I agree with a lot of what you say but if you start again, you really are starting again and you are relying on thousands of fans turning up to watch an Essex Senior League club.

I don't have an answer. Our situation right now is horrendous. Tied to the whim of one man who knows **** all about football and is not going to give an inch. But we still have our ground, our name and our supporters. And if we were to start again we'd lose most of that.

I didn’t explain my points very well I’m just fuming and sick of it. I don’t have a football team to support anymore. So it’s a bit weird. I’m just a massive football fan. Who dya support mate? Nobody actually anymore.

Southend FC, Hall United, Roots United FC. Can start it this week if people want it?

Yes, SZFC doesn’t exist anymore.
My point was. You can start the foundations on Monday. You can grow it to whatever you want. It’s a symbol really isn’t it a football club. Another symbol to pass the baton of history and stories to, so they can be carried forward.

I’d say we don’t still have a ground - we rent what is sadly becoming a ****-hole from a property developer at whatever rent he decrees.

And would we lose just as many supporters by this slow painful death?

The only thing the club had going for it in a sale was the football league status, without that its worthless.
Less than worthless actually because it has pay a below par teams contracts for however long they are in place.
I agree with you in regards to EFL status, does carry some weight interms of potential takeover. Regardless of Ron owning the assets, someone out their would of took punt on us due to being EFL club. I don't remember many teams going out of business if your in the EFL but below that is different story...... I can think of 5/6 clubs who have dropped out of the EFL and ended up as phoenix club.

Ron can charge what he wants - he won't get any of it. It's like me saying the cat owes me £20,000 in rent.

Oh I know - I'll just write it off.

It's more like you saying your cat owes you £20k so although I've put it up for adoption you are going to have to give me £20k for me to let you have it or i'll write the debt off when the cat dies

I hate stuff that won’t change no matter what. Should not be allowed to squat on a cultural asset. **** Martin. Not interested in anything he’s got to say anymore. You’ve had your fun **** off.

I tell you what. I’ll start a ****ing club on Monday and aim to ground share with a local team next season. I’ll start a Sunday team and a Saturday team all part of the same set up. We will start a youth team and start small to ground some foundations.

I can probably even get someone to do nutrition and gym session routines.

Probably get a good discount for bulk sign ups at a local gym.

We can film every single game with my Veo camera. We can then live stream every game after we’ve built interest. I’ve got a manager ready and hungry players to start at a Saturday&Sunday level. As of next season.

I know a lot of local players and if you want we can get £30 a week for 11 players together as well as a Lucozade & Mars bar every week. To up the standard.

Who’s in?

What thought actually needs to be put in to it? You don’t need a 30 year plan to start a new football team. Shrimperzone FC had its own team for ages and it was full of people who put in a lot of effort into it.

I’ll personally sponsor the clubs shirt to pay for a home pitch on a Sunday.

I know a shirt supplier.

All these things are there.
do
Driving me mad
I could not agree more ..i love SUFC as we all do ...i hate martin he is a lying cancer that has infected OUR club and is kiling it ...this club means too much to let that **** destroy it

Ron will go in the next few year anyone rega of our division. I would much prefer our manager to do the honourable thing and resign stating it did not workout and to give someone else a chance before it’s too late
It was too late several years ago. Some daft followers on here wanted us in this league! Well now we’re here, how do you feel now? Extinction awaits us.

I find it funny when fans say be careful what you wish for..... yes I wish for to be near the bottom of the national league and losing to a team like aldershot who haven't picked up point. I wonder if those fans are saying that now ?

Yes.

Roots Hall should be razed to the ground like Hitler's Bunker or Fred West's House as well so the site doesn't attract ghouls.

Last edited:
Obviously I'm an outsider, but anyway.....

I thought Jai's post last night was excellent in many ways, he really spelt out how glib the "phoenix club" solution is, and how difficult it is to sustain. If you were in the same position as Bury or Macclesfield fans it would be different - but you aren't.

It seems to me that your major problem is one of certainty, in two broad ways :

1) you can't be sure of what the balance of priorities is for Mr. Martin, and how serious he is about investing in your future

2) you can't be sure whether the current state of your club is down to benign incompetence, or something worse

It's therefore quite hard for pressure groups like Save Our Southend to pin down what you should focus on.

I think your best long term hope lies in the creation of a new and independent regulator. if the FSA get their way the National League will fall under its jurisdiction. And the FSA is also pushing for the regulator to be :

• established by statute, and thus have teeth
  • able to identify and promulgate best practice, such that benchmarks and standards will be driven by what the best run clubs do, rather than the worst
  • able to offer access to support, training and softer support like counselling and mentoring rather than merely getting the big stick as a first option

That is obviously some way off. But you have to keep exposing the poor practice, and keep the club's demise in the public eye, in my opinion. We managed to make my club a by-word for rotten management and something altogether more sinister by being relentless in publicising it, clever in identifying allies in the media, a presence in Parliament and an absolute pest for the EFL.

Being outside the 92 is a big problem for you in terms of visibility. I think you have to work extra hard to counter that. But you are a club with a rich history and tradition, and a place in the local community. I'd be loathe to walk away while there are still lots of things that you can do to keep the fight going.

I wish you luck. You all deserve far better and I apologise for butting in.

Back