• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Reg Martin

No Relation
If you answered yes then hopefully you would follow his advice in interview in this link...

http://thelinc.co.uk/2011/02/positive-tilson-says-sky-is-the-limit/

"The more negative the fans are, the more negative the players are. Our message would be to get behind the players rather than be negative."

I know there's stuff in there that others will twist into ironic comments about what he had to put up with at Southend last year but I wonder how much Tilly was thinking of elements of Southend fans when he said that.
Whatever, I think it's advice worth following.

"Tilson confesses though that chairman Bob Dorrian has allowed him to exceed the budget given to him.

“The chairman has been excellent. I know they’ve gone over budget. As we are, in an ideal world we’d like one or two players to go out on loan or permanently just to try and balance the money up.

“That’s not been the case, and the chairman’s still backing me and let me get loan players in, which has been a big help for us."

At least he's got money to play with aswell!

"Tilson confesses though that chairman Bob Dorrian has allowed him to exceed the budget given to him.

“The chairman has been excellent. I know they’ve gone over budget. As we are, in an ideal world we’d like one or two players to go out on loan or permanently just to try and balance the money up.

“That’s not been the case, and the chairman’s still backing me and let me get loan players in, which has been a big help for us."

At least he's got money to play with aswell!

He had money to play with here, he used it on Richie Foran.

"The more negative the fans are, the more negative the players are. Our message would be to get behind the players rather than be negative."

I know there's stuff in there that others will twist into ironic comments about what he had to put up with at Southend last year but I wonder how much Tilly was thinking of elements of Southend fans when he said that.
Whatever, I think it's advice worth following.

So true, must be frustrating to sign players for the fans to hardly give them a chance. Some may say that Tilson didn't give players enough of a chance, but if you look at players such as Revell, Harrold and Walker, who had lots of chances and imagine if they had the limited football that some of our other players had, most of the fans would be claiming that they didn't have the chances because of the success they have had at other clubs (except Walker, who has disappeared off the face of the earth.

Is that the same Steve Tilson who was so negative for us last season????? the same manager who stood there game after game motionless, arms folded, moving only in the 75th minute to make the usual subs. The same negative manager whose interviews smacked of “I give up” . The same manager whose TV appearances sent the viewer to sleep. Bring me a positive up beat manager like Barry Fry or Dave Smith every time

Is that the same Steve Tilson who was so negative for us last season????? the same manager who stood there game after game motionless, arms folded, moving only in the 75th minute to make the usual subs. The same negative manager whose interviews smacked of “I give up” . The same manager whose TV appearances sent the viewer to sleep. Bring me a positive up beat manager like Barry Fry or Dave Smith every time

Tilson's managerial record is better than Fry's though, I don't understand why you are judging a manager's ability on TV appearances. I also think Tilly is far superior to Fry when it comes to loyalty, I know who I'd prefer as a manager!

Tilson's managerial record is better than Fry's though, I don't understand why you are judging a manager's ability on TV appearances. I also think Tilly is far superior to Fry when it comes to loyalty, I know who I'd prefer as a manager!

Exactly right! It is amazing to think there is negativity amongst people towards Tilly after all the success he brought this club. He was made a scapegoat for last seasons disaster. Tilly cannot be blamed any more than Plymouth should be blaming Peter Reid this season, they sold their main striker, players not being paid for months and now lost 8 from last nine games. An almost identical situation to what we had here.

Tilson's managerial record is better than Fry's though!

Really?

Steve Thompson Feb-1995 64.29%
Barry Fry Apr-1993 61.11%
Dave Webb Jun-1986 55.63%
Dave Smith May-1976 54.97%
Bob Jack Jul-1906 54.51%
Ernie Shephard Apr-1967 53.51%
Eddie Perry Jun-1956 52.98%
Harry Warren Aug-1940 52.14%
Steve Tilson Nov-2003 51.48%

Tilly is probably the only manager going who would of stuck by us last season after the vile treatment from our moronic chairman. Tilson has turned around a failing side once again when given the tools to do so. Martin has been proved so wrong again.

I wonder if some would have more respect for Tilson if he had walked at Christmas saying RM was destroying the club - more than anything I respect his determination not to turn his back on the club and its fans -

of course the people in Lincoln think hes wonderful

I wonder if some would have more respect for Tilson if he had walked at Christmas saying RM was destroying the club - more than anything I respect his determination not to turn his back on the club and its fans -

of course the people in Lincoln think hes wonderful

Probably would, and I would say I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he was thinking.

He did all that when we won back to back promotions and cup finals.

That was his manner.

suprise suprise the usual suspects queuing up to have a pop a tilly , some of you really do get my bile, i would so careful what you wish for, lets hope for most of your sakes he never comes back to the club, you would have to boycott it wouldnt you

Really?

Steve Thompson Feb-1995 64.29%
Barry Fry Apr-1993 61.11%
Dave Webb Jun-1986 55.63%
Dave Smith May-1976 54.97%
Bob Jack Jul-1906 54.51%
Ernie Shephard Apr-1967 53.51%
Eddie Perry Jun-1956 52.98%
Harry Warren Aug-1940 52.14%
Steve Tilson Nov-2003 51.48%

To clarify I was comparing Tilson and Fry's overall managerial careers, not just their stints at Southend

suprise suprise the usual suspects queuing up to have a pop a tilly , some of you really do get my bile, i would so careful what you wish for, lets hope for most of your sakes he never comes back to the club, you would have to boycott it wouldnt you

We will all see for ourselves at Lincoln,what fans think of Tilly and Brushy,actions speak louder then words,total respect i would guess,is this just another game no,it's a T and B love in.UTB

Why do people feel the need to have a pop at a man who was a loyal, dedicated, committed and largely succesful servant to the club. A man who led us through some of our best years, and whose eventual departure was soured terribly by mismanagment at the top - but a mananger who still kept the integrity to not criticise those at the top and start making excuses for himself (which many would have done), but to keep going despite the untenable circumstances he was faced with. If a man who gave everything, and achieved almost unparrelled success (at this club) is not respected, then what the hell chance does anyone else have?

Why can't people simply say thanks for what you've done Tilly, you've given us some of our happiest years as a Southend fan, for that I thank you and wish you all the best going forward (apart from March 12th). Instead of this incessant digging, and snide remarks against the man. Sure he had his faults, who doesn't, but his achievements far outweigh those, it's typical of our fans to fault the man whilst ignoring his achievements.

Last edited:
Back