• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

ooh-andy-ansah

Director
So just what is the real reason PS won't play Sawyer ?

Last night he brings on Mohsni with full knowledge that he isn't in either the correct mental or physical condition to play but leaves Sawyer out of the starting 11 again.

Interesting how we get statements about Mohsni's issues but the club are very tight lipped about Sawyer. Has there been an issue behind the scenes that the intrepid "juicy" reporter has missed or is it just a case of PS not rating the lad as highly as most of us do ?

If it's a case of PS thinking he doesn't fit in to the system he wants to play then why bring him back to the club ?

All very strange.

Exactly what i said to my mate last night. PS must have something against sawyer to give him the last ten mins of the match. Fair enough moshni coming on didnt mind that, but i would have rather seen sawyer come on instead of JJ, sawyer IMO would have made alot more impact on the game than JJ did. Really dont see why his not been given more game time, his got great ability and its going to waste with him warming the bench.

We just don't know how he is performing in training, that's mainly all PS can go on.

I think Lee will break into the team soon enough and prove his worth.

If he doesnt start on Sat after that performance from our midfield then id be f'd off if i were him.

I think PS is leaving him out to test his attitude, and as he looks very urgent when he has been making appearances, it wont be long until he starts!

I think Luggy prefers your Kanes and Kalalas to the more creative types, preferring that creativity to come from the wings. Trouble is JJ has been shocking so far so please get Lee on!

You have players who can train hard and play good football since Sawyer has been back i have been told he has been a credit to the club in house so no problems there .
When he has played has he let anyone down? i dont think so i also think he is being very patient and waiting for a flow of games to get his match sharpness which he has not had the chance to get (forget training or practice matches he will only really shine in meaningfull games).
PS does seem to go for defensive midfield where it seems like he wants to bring on Sawyer to change the system late in the game and his probably the only creative midfielder he can call apon to do that .
I personally would rather he started in the hope he helped us get a lead to defend and then bring on a defensive midfielder
to shore it up........but what do i or anyone on this forum know anyway ha ha!

if he does not rate why did he offer him a extension to his contract

You took the words right out of my mouth. (or is that keyboard).

Clearly Sturrock does think there is a decent player in there otherwise he'd have been let go in the summer.

Sawyer has to work hard, keep his head down and take any chances he gets with both hands and if he proves his worth I'm sure he'll be rewarded.

I would like to see him given a chance on saturday, maybe in place of Kane, I think his inclusion would benefit Harris alot. But I won't be throwing my toys out the pram if he doesn't start either.

He does definitely rate him.

However his performances in pre season weren't much cop and unfortunately, he perhaps hasn't knuckled down as PS would've liked...................................:unsure:

if he does not rate why did he offer him a extension to his contract

Because he was cheap, available and is different to what we've got.

When I say I don't think PS rates him, I mean that I don't think PS rates him as one of the three best central midfielders in the squad and he doesn't rate him as much as those of us who saw him in his first spell three(?) years ago would rate him.

He has to get a chance real soon, we just not retaining the ball at the moment, this is one of lees many attributes, get him in for saturday

He gave the ball away a lot in the games I saw of him in pre-season, and in dangerous positions.

I guess only Luggy can answer that. To my mind though he needs to start on Saturday - I think playing Kane and Kalala together in midfield is an incorrect tactical decision - especially at home. Kane looked lost last night I thought.

Personally I would play Kalala in front of the back 4, Grant and Sawyer in the middle of the park and then whatever combination of remaining widemen and strikers is appropriate for the opposition.

The problem with Sawyer - and always has been - is his seeming inability to last 90 minutes. Even during his first spell he got knackered after an hour and needed to be replaced (usually by Macca). As davewebbsbrain said, Sturrock sees him in training every day and has openly said that on occasions he has been disappointing.

The question is, do we start him, knowing he probably won't last the whole game; or bring him on in the second half when the game is a bit more open, allowing him to do what he does best and add some flair. The latter isn't necessarily a plan b situation if we're losing; it could just be an opportunity to add some very useful fresh legs.

I know it's not necessarily the best comparison but when I played semi-pro a few years back we had a striker who was absolutely red-hot when he came on as a sub, mainly because he had terrific pace, but largely anonymous when he started games, and our manager tore his hair out trying to work out what was best for him. Some players are better as impact subs and I can't help but think Sawyer largely fits into that category.

Having said all that, I really, really hope I'm wrong, and do want Sturrock to start him on Saturday. The question is where to play him. He's not suited - nor disciplined enough - to playing wide, so the only logical solution is to play him in the centre with Kalala as the insurance man and ideally Grant on the right (where he has done well in the past) but tucked in in order to add extra protection when necessary. Hopefully the biggest bonus would be potentially getting the best out of Harris. We'll have to wait and see.

Personally I would play Kalala in front of the back 4, Grant and Sawyer in the middle of the park and then whatever combination of remaining widemen and strikers is appropriate for the opposition.

I agreed with you, that the midfield 3 I would pick agasint Burton.

From what I've heard, PS rates him and his attitude has improved a lot since he first signed, and I know that other people at the club rate him quite highly, so not quite sure why he hasn't been getting the game time.
Think he is the kind of player we need to play at the moment, while Kalala, Kane and Granty may all be better quality, they're all more comfortable defensively than going forward, whereas Lee likes to pick the ball up and get forward.

The problem with Sawyer - and always has been - is his seeming inability to last 90 minutes. Even during his first spell he got knackered after an hour and needed to be replaced (usually by Macca). As davewebbsbrain said, Sturrock sees him in training every day and has openly said that on occasions he has been disappointing.

The question is, do we start him, knowing he probably won't last the whole game; or bring him on in the second half when the game is a bit more open, allowing him to do what he does best and add some flair. The latter isn't necessarily a plan b situation if we're losing; it could just be an opportunity to add some very useful fresh legs.

I know it's not necessarily the best comparison but when I played semi-pro a few years back we had a striker who was absolutely red-hot when he came on as a sub, mainly because he had terrific pace, but largely anonymous when he started games, and our manager tore his hair out trying to work out what was best for him. Some players are better as impact subs and I can't help but think Sawyer largely fits into that category.

Having said all that, I really, really hope I'm wrong, and do want Sturrock to start him on Saturday. The question is where to play him. He's not suited - nor disciplined enough - to playing wide, so the only logical solution is to play him in the centre with Kalala as the insurance man and ideally Grant on the right (where he has done well in the past) but tucked in in order to add extra protection when necessary. Hopefully the biggest bonus would be potentially getting the best out of Harris. We'll have to wait and see.

It is a tough one. But, there is no point bringing him on for less than 10 minutes or so.

Messi would struggle to make an impact in that time.

If we need some creativeness, then Lee needs to be given at least 30 minutes to try and make something happen.

I'd start him Saturday and see what happens.

It is a tough one. But, there is no point bringing him on for less than 10 minutes or so.

Messi would struggle to make an impact in that time.

If we need some creativeness, then Lee needs to be given at least 30 minutes to try and make something happen.

I'd start him Saturday and see what happens.

Instead of ?

If we play 442 Sawyer would have to play wide I guess instead of JJ.

If its 433 then it gives more scope for him but means we wont get the best out of Harris.

I would like to see Sawyer given a chance as JJ has been disappointing and we are lacking someone creative in the middle but really dont like 433

Back