• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch ....... Doncaster (A)

Mick

Life President
We're just one behind Doncaster in head-to-head League matches; they have 14 wins to our 13 with 6 draws.

Our best result against them in all competitions was the first time we ever played them in 1958 after the unification of the Third Divisions North and South when we won 5-0. Our worst? Probably a toss up between our hammering in the play-off second leg and our abject defeat at home in the FA Cup when they were at the bottom of the Conference with just a couple of wins from 16 matches. David Penny (remember him ?) gave them a one nil victory.

Tomorrow's referee is a Southend debutant in his second year as a Football League referee. It will be Anthony Backhouse from Heads Nook near Brampton near Carlisle who, last season, became the first referee from Cumbria to make the League List for 40 years.

Still in his 20s, he was educated at Newcastle University and is part of the Lidl management team having progressed through the Aldi graduate management programme. In his own words "I am an enthusiastic and accomplished Operations Management Professional who has experience in strategising and developing as well as using my strong analytical skills to design a strong day-to-day program executing strengths in strategic planning while continuously delivering an unmatched ability to develop subject matter expertise" and "I am accustomed to working in tight deadlines and excel at diffusing high-pressure environments. I can communicate at all levels and can find solutions in the centre of chaos where no solution is in sight with the empathy, tact and diplomacy to read each situation from all angles." Well that should be okay then.

With no previous matches to look back on, there's not much to say about a referee I've never seen. His 29 matches this season have seen a very average 84 yellows and slightly high 5 reds.

At the end of his last season as a non-league referee he did the Wembley play-off final, through which Forest Green Rovers reached the Football League.

Assisting will be Barry Gordon from Birtley, Tyne and Wear and Joe Clark from Walsall. Fourth Official is the vastly experienced referee Darren Drysdale from Lincolnshire who has refereed Southend 11 times more than Mr Backhouse.

Barry Gordon is the official that Phil Brown said should be "struck off" after advising Kettle to award that late penalty at Bury. He's still involved with the Football League, Brown isn't.

See, now I hadn't read this and have just seen the EFL tweet about Marquis and how many goals he's scored and he's alongside Mr Kettle in the pic, so I had to come and find the thread! Now I know it's just a stock photo and Kettle isn't affecting us this evening.

Back