• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
All time League matches against Doncaster are nicely balanced at 13 wins apiece, with 5 draws - although in the later years they have generally come out on top.

The referee for tomorrow is in his fourth season as a League referee. He is Bristol-born Kevin Johnson from Weston-Super-Mare, a shaven-headed 40 year old who works in property maintenance.

The former Bristol Evening Post newspaper printer was promoted to the Football League National panel of referees at the start of the 2014/15 season following six seasons in the middle for Conference games.

He began officiating during his late teens in the Bristol and Suburban and Gloucestershire County Leagues before taking charge of Western League and Southern League fixtures. A little later he progressed up the ladder to assistant referee with the Conference National before being given an opportunity eight seasons ago to referee at that level. His hopes of further progression were hampered by a persistent calf muscle injury which affected him during 2010/12, a condition he appears to have shaken off for good.

His first two seasons in the League went reasonably well, with a few Championship appointments. His card count was decidedly average throughout those first two years, rose a little and is back to average. Thus far this season his 32 games have seen 98 yellows and 9 reds.

His last appearance at Roots Hall was against Peterborough earlier this season. A 1-1 draw and he did just fine although he didn't skimp on the bookings with Demetriou, Yearwood and Cox and two of theirs cautioned.

His previous visit he did far less well. That was at the back end of last season for the 3-0 win over Oldham. His dismissal of Leonard inspired 3 late goals. In addition there were 7 yellows; Wordsworth, Cox and Coker were our three. Not his finest hour.

There were two other previous matches last season:

The first was back in October at Roots Hall for the 1-0 win over Chesterfield (Thompson got the goal and Coker and Leonard got our two yellow cards - to their one). He had a decent game.

The second was the first match of 2017, the away goalless draw at Swindon and he didn't attract too many comments favourable or otherwise. Thompson and Demetriou picked up yellows along with a couple of theirs.

Before that came the away game at Peterborough the season before last, also a goalless draw, when he was somewhat embarrassed by the incredible exhibition of semaphore flag waving by one of his assistants. That match saw yellows for Bolger and Hendrie but no home players.

Previously came two more home games. Firstly, 2014/15's home match against Shrewsbury when we won, and all the cards (4 yellows and a red) were shown to the visitors. Unsurprisingly there were few complaints.

Then 2015/16 he took charge of our home win over Scunthorpe, again few complaints with our only yellow going to Deegan and three for the visitors.

So an unbeaten record with Mr Johnson, what can go wrong ?.

His assistants will be will be Tranmere Rovers supporter and ex-semipro player for Newtown (in the Welsh League), Anthony Da Costa, now from Cambridge and Simon Shaw, from Bristol, making his Roots Hall debut.

Fourth official is another Roots Hall debutant, Stephen Brown from Ashford.

Exactly why SZ and your report is the best out there. Always a great read Mick.

I may have asked this before but are you or have you been a referee previously?

Being much closer to 70 than 60, I definitely fall into the "ex-referee" category !

As high as you could get only reffing Sundays (i.e not very!).

Was otherwise occupied on Saturdays.

I find that surprising with your in-depth knowledge of the referees.

As high as you could get only reffing Sundays (i.e not very!).

Was otherwise occupied on Saturdays.

You do yourself a dis-service. You were on the best Sunday refs out there, and were equally as good as some of the Saturday boys who got to play at semi pro level.

Mind you, our style of reffing has no place in the game today......

I only ask as I was on tour with a guy who refs currently at Conference North level. How easy/hard is it to get to that sort of level? I was thinking about giving it a whirl.

I only ask as I was on tour with a guy who refs currently at Conference North level. How easy/hard is it to get to that sort of level? I was thinking about giving it a whirl.

Very difficult. I got to the semi pro level (Essex Senior League or in refspeak Level 4) but didn't get any further - mainly because I couldn't (wouldn't) commit to the time required and I wasn't probably good enough anyway. You need to be really fit, but I expect that's not an issue for you. And you need to be quite happy to be sent to places like Margate at short notice on a Tuesday night.

However, everyone starts on the parks. And you need two promotions to get to ESL level - and you need to do a year before you can apply for a promotion.

From ESL to get promoted from there, you need to be in the top 2 or 3 of that league, you then move onto the Isthmian League (lining at Conference South). Same applies to get into the Conference South (lining at Conference) and so on.

There is also a lot of politics. Essex FA isn't awash with top level referees, so they now prioritise the youngsters in the hope that one of them may get to the top in the next decade. If you are over 30, you need to be exceptional to get the push you need.

From what I could tell on iFollow match centre he reffed the game very well and even went back to book Baudrey a good minute or so after the initial offence!

From what I could tell on iFollow match centre he reffed the game very well and even went back to book Baudrey a good minute or so after the initial offence!
The iFollow must be highly distortional if it gave you that impression.
The idiot probably didn’t bother following the game for that minute.

Ref was pretty poor in my opinion... Especially first half.. not the worst for sure but struggled to run and keep up and seemed to want to be centre of attention. If he has a yellow ribbon could have sworn it was Pep

Mick you was certainly a good ref, although I'm sure you harshly booked me on a number of occasions. :winking:

That's as may be; but there was an even greater number of occasions when it was fully justified ! :winking::winking:

Thanks ............... and sorry !

Back