• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DOncaster Rovers at home 1971/72 season

C C Csiders

Life President
On the journey to spiritual enlightenment (via the
Just thought I would share with you that tomorrow is the 34th anniversary of my very first Southend United match.

It was at home to Doncaster Rovers on Friday, 31 March 1972 (it was Good Friday). We won 2-1 thanks to Bill Garner and Billy Best. I stood on the South Bank with my older brother.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Mar. 30 2006,16:45)]Just thought I would share with you that tomorrow is the 34th anniversary of my very first Soouthend United match.

It was at home to Doncaster Rovers on Friday, 31 March 1972 (it was Good Friday). We won 2-1 thanks to Bill Garner and Billy Best. I stood on the South Bank with my older brother.

smile.gif
34 years - you're nothing but a young whippersnapper.
tounge.gif

1972 was a good year to start as it was our first ever promotion season, albeit back to whence we came. Swiftly followed by the next 20 years of shuttling back and forth.

Congratulations.

28 years ago (Friday March 29th 1968) we had an attendence of 13,871 for the home game against Workington . Score 7-0 Clayton(2) McKinven(2) Smillie May, Best

(© Robin Michels database)

remember that Workington game, my uncle took me, I was sure Clayton got a hat-trick that day, could be my dodgy memory of course! Wasn't it his home debut?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (piersend @ Mar. 30 2006,17:14)]remember that Workington game, my uncle took me, I was sure Clayton got a hat-trick that day, could be my dodgy memory of course! Wasn't it his home debut?
Yep, he'd scored in our win at Aldershot the week before and we then didn't win an away match 'til the following season when we won 6-1 ...... at Bournemouth !!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Mar. 30 2006,16:58)]28 years ago (Friday March 29th 1968) we had an attendence of 13,871 for the home game against Workington . Score 7-0 Clayton(2) McKinven(2) Smillie May, Best

(© Robin Michels database)
I remember that game, every time we scored to celebrate i along with my friend used to run from top to bottom of the old south bank.

Used to pi$$ my dad off at the time and would just get out of the way of a few stray right handers
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Btw i was 8 at the time.

First game: 26th October 1968 v Rochdale. Went home very happy as we won 3-1. Unfortunately my dad and elder brother were most upset as they had supported the losing team. Yes, you guessed it, I supported Rochdale that day. However at 3 years old you can't be blamed for a simple mistake like that can you?

Billy Best scored in my first SUFC game too, the season before (March 71) v Notts County.

What's Billy up to now? Would be nice to see him at our 100 year celebrations whatever they might be. Maybe we could form a Club @Billy scored in my first SUFC game'. Any other members bar CC Siders, Firestorm and me?

That Workington game was my first visit to the Hall too . Seem to remember after that we had 10 games left and only needed 10 points to go up - and we blew it !!!! Hopefully not an omen !!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Soton Blue @ Mar. 30 2006,20:34)]First game: 26th October 1968 v Rochdale.  Went home very happy as we won 3-1.  Unfortunately my dad and elder brother were most upset as they had supported the losing team.  Yes, you guessed it, I supported Rochdale that day.  However at 3 years old you can't be blamed for a simple mistake like that can you?
A year after my First.....

Friday October 27th 1-1 draw at Home to Aldershot, Phil Chisnall scored, 12,101 attended, I stood with my brother Father and Grandfather in the South East paddock and it rained

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ Mar. 30 2006,17:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (piersend @ Mar. 30 2006,17:14)]remember that Workington game, my uncle took me, I was sure Clayton got a hat-trick that day, could be my dodgy memory of course! Wasn't it his home debut?
Yep, he'd scored in our win at Aldershot the week before and we then didn't win an away match 'til the following season when we won 6-1  ...... at Bournemouth !!!
That Bournemouth game was in the League Cup IIRC, we went to Wolves in the next round and lost 1-0 to a last minute goal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ Mar. 30 2006,17:21)]
[b said:
Yep, he'd scored in our win at Aldershot the week before and we then didn't win an away match 'til the following season when we won 6-1  ...... at Bournemouth !!!
That Bournemouth game was in the League Cup IIRC, we went to Wolves in the next round and lost 1-0 to a last minute goal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Suffolk Shrimper @ Mar. 30 2006,22:47)]Billy Best scored in my first SUFC game too, the season before (March 71) v Notts County.

What's Billy up to now? Would be nice to see him at our 100 year celebrations whatever they might be. Maybe we could form a Club @Billy scored in my first SUFC game'. Any other members bar CC Siders, Firestorm and me?
Although Billy Best did not score the first goal I ever saw at Roots Hall, i would like to join on the basis that he is still my all time Blues favourite.

Back