• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Drink Drive limit

Drink sir?

• Bart/Abstain/Thinking of biscuits.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Whilst some people knowingly drink drive you also get a lot of people that feel like the alcohol is affecting them but reckon they are under the limit so it's ok to drive when it actually isn't (I think Luke McCormick thought this was the case after after a couple of hours sleep). If the limit is set to near zero then those people wouldn't be able to think they are under the limit and so they wouldn't drink if they know they will need to drive at some point during the night.

I tend to think more people would be less likely to risk it if it was as close to zero as possible. No drink = no risk but one drink = small risk.

The irony is that for me when I was in the Highlands a few years back, most was drinking and driving. Pubs were so remote there was often no option. To be fair, no-one else was on the roads...

The irony is that for me when I was in the Highlands a few years back, most was drinking and driving. Pubs were so remote there was often no option. To be fair, no-one else was on the roads...

That's pretty poor Naps. Always another option - don't drink being one of them.

As Scotland has reduced the limit from 80mg/100ml to 50mg/100ml, which makes it close to the limit if you drink even 1 pint or 1 glass of wine, do you think England should follow suit?

Personally I think it should be as close to zero as you can make it (taking into account naturally occuring alcohol) - for NR the limit is 30mg/100ml and I've known of people to get sacked if they've had a heavy night BUT driven to work legally.

Thoughts?

It's 20 for pilots...

Prawn - the alcohol in a mouthwash would obviously influence a test. The way I understand it (and happy to be corrected) is - a fail breath test at the roadside is repeated 20 minutes later because any alcohol in the mouth may not be in the blood, reason as you have described. So, it's possible to fail a breath test (they are only an indication, not accurate) and be well under the blood test limit, which is a far more accurate test.

Just an idea - the punishment for any alcohol in the blood has a sliding scale of punishment; e,g, a blood test reading multiplied by 3 for a fine even if under "the limit". So a blood reading of 22 (for example) means a £66 fine but no ban or insurance problem as it's under the current 80mg/100ml limit.

My understanding is that even over the counter medicines such as Day/Night nurse contain alcohol.

Do you know what limit a dose of that would still be caught by?

Was in Southend for the burning of my step mother thurs and got talking to my future brother in law and he when caught for drink driving put a copper coin in his mouth and he blew under when back at the station even though he was well over due to knecking 8 pints,any ideas if copper could work.
I am all for a zero level.
Here in French France if you get banned for drink driving you are still allowed to drive what they call a sns permit(without licence) which is a 60 cc car that goes putt putt about 30 miles top whack .strange really because you could still kill someone in it.

And Bingo, arrived at Liverpool Street Crossrail site last night and was led away for a Drug and Alcohol test.

Was in Southend for the burning of my step mother thurs and got talking to my future brother in law and he when caught for drink driving put a copper coin in his mouth and he blew under when back at the station even though he was well over due to knecking 8 pints,any ideas if copper could work.

That story took on a different meaning when I missed the word coin.

Most of us would agree a pint is ok. How many people, particularly tradesman pop into their local on the way home for a pint? Make the limit zero and they wont be popping in for a coke so that has a consequence on the economy and peoples livelihoods. Also, count the family our for a pub lunch and the driver fancies a pint with his grub?

As a previous poster said, the people who drink and drive to excess will continue to do so regardless of the limit. Why penalise everyone when its not necessary?

As an aside, if this country really wanted to encourage non drinking amongst drivers, they'd do well to enforce pubs and restaurants to charge less for a soft drink or a cup of tea. A pint of coke, for example, is often more expensive than a pint of beer!

As an aside, if this country really wanted to encourage non drinking amongst drivers, they'd do well to enforce pubs and restaurants to charge less for a soft drink or a cup of tea. A pint of coke, for example, is often more expensive than a pint of beer!

Personally it wouldnt make any difference to me. I might pop into a pub for a pint, but I wouldn't pop in for a soft drink.

Steve

The 'designated driver' in the USA will get free soft drinks all night at most bars. I take advantage of this by bringing in a hipflask of meths and mixing it with my complimentary Mountain Dew.

Back