• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm really not racist nor trying to be a racist.. I just raised a point and I'm sure I'm not the only one whose thought it..

But you're putting the trait of "laziness" on the entire gyspy race (if they are one). Replace gypsy with black and you'll see how dubious your comment was. I don't think you were being racist, but you have to admit Len it was a bit dodgy.

But you're putting the trait of "laziness" on the entire gyspy race (if they are one). Replace gypsy with black and you'll see how dubious your comment was. I don't think you were being racist, but you have to admit Len it was a bit dodgy.

So if I don't say gypsy at all does that make it PC?

Im guessing it is down to his attitude more than anything else. Many players in recent times have praised Ben Clarkson as a physio and the fact that Corr is playing and indeed Mark Phillips as well is testament of Bens skills and knowledge. Fred hasnt been fit for months and you would think that if it was this thats an issue then BC would be able to get him fit and back out there. To me Fred seems disinterested. WIth the injury to Britt and now to Gav, Fred had an ideal opportunity to get his chance but it seems this isnt happening for one reason or another. Whatever the reasons are, it is a very sad situation.

You are suggesting that laziness is a gypsy trait. That is a racist statement. That's why it has been moderated.

What next? Was JCR's distribution woeful because black people are stupid?

Unfortunately it is looking more and more like a big mistake by the Chairman to bring him in.

This is the problem when those upstairs get involved in transfer dealings, other than completing deals.

He obviously wasn't on the want list for Luggy. And now he has a player who is not up to scratch at the moment and a decent chunk of his wage budget blown.

We all hoped he would be the player he once was. And perhaps he will do in time. But, it is not looking very good at the moment. And perhaps a gamble that has backfired somewhat.

To be fair though Lee had any of us been chairman and this opportunity arose I think most of us would have done the same

You are suggesting that laziness is a gypsy trait. That is a racist statement. That's why it has been moderated.

Now you're taking this way beyond what I originally said! If you're offended then please take away my reputation. But I am not racist in anyway! And JCR was nothing to do with his race.

Are you actually being serious? If anything his original comment was stereotypical, but in no way was it racist. And what JCR has to do with it I have no idea.

IIRC I wasn't one of those getting moist with excitement when Freddy's return was announced. I hoped that it would work but had some misgivings about former legends returning. Whether it is due to injury/lack of fitness or lack of passion, he along with Harris are generally proving a large waste of space and are giving our attacking options a depth that really doesn't exist. One could still hope that it will turn out well in the end but the signs aren't good. Frustrating for the fact that you know their salaries could be spent on really strengthening the side. Does Benyon get included in this, or is it that we are just not playing a style that suits him?

Calm down please ladies or we might as well close this thread.

Back on topic please :smile:

Why is Freddy not playing ? Don't know the answer to that one. The manager knows surely - come on Mr Sturrock, tell us why to avoid all this conjecture.

IIRC I wasn't one of those getting moist with excitement when Freddy's return was announced. I hoped that it would work but had some misgivings about former legends returning. Whether it is due to injury/lack of fitness or lack of passion, he along with Harris are generally proving a large waste of space and are giving our attacking options a depth that really doesn't exist. One could still hope that it will turn out well in the end but the signs aren't good. Frustrating for the fact that you know their salaries could be spent on really strengthening the side. Does Benyon get included in this, or is it that we are just not playing a style that suits him?

Do we really know that though ?

When Eastwood and Harris havent had that much game time due to the success of the Assombalonga/Tomlin partnership who knows, they may have contributed more if they had more opportunities. Im not suggesting they deserve to play more, but we may need to use them more in the run in and they may well step up and deliver. Im not overly confident they will but we might be surprised.

For me its a case of his face does not fit with Sturrock and the fact he has not been fit enough.

I personally think that Sturrock was/is making a point to the management that Freddy was not his choice. I think technically he is the best player at the club. If you watch his movement, his touch, his vision they are streets ahead of everything else we have. I just dont think he is a Sturrock type player and I think the manager is proving a point with that.

He is no more of a waste of time that Benyon and Harris who were both (one more than the other maybe) Sturrock signings.

He was never going to be the player he was a few years ago but I hate they way people have turned on him now. He hasnt been given a run in the side for people to really judge him. Minutes here and there is not going to get him match fit. I think missing pre-season was a blow and he hasnt really got going since then.

For me given Tomlin is injured for a month now would be the ideal time to give him a run. Cant fault Barry Corr in any shape or form for his goals return but he has been given the chance to get back to shape and form as his face fits.

Personally I still think most sides at this level would kill to have Freddy. We I suspect will never see the best of him again but my gut feel is when the inevitable chop comes someone out there is going to get a good little player.

Finally I hate the disrepect some people on here show him. Whatever he does from now on I will always be massively grateful for the time we had him. I think he is 90% of the reason that we achieved what we did under Steve Tilson and I will always love him for that.

According to CP last night Freddy seemed a mere shadow of his former glory, i kind of feel we're at a loss with what to do with him... he's obviously going to be on a bigger wage than most of playing staff yet is not even getting sub appearances with Luggy rather bringing on Lavery in front of him... where does his future lie? what are your thoughts Fred?

Did anyone go last night? I appreciate Waltham Abbey isn't the most glamorous of ties but he should be cutting through teams like this with ease

When Freddy returned i was very excited to see him back at Roots Hall yet i can't help feeling slightly deflated by his arrival - does anybody else feel the same?

Deflated? Yes. Underwhelmed? Yes. Still hopeful? Yes ...... just.

Even earlier in the season away at Morecombe, Eastwood was on the bench and could have secured us some points ...... but instead a loan player was brought on instead. Deep sigh. :sad:

I am looking for the positives but struggling to find any at the moment. The only thing I can think of is perhaps a minor injury and a simple surgical procedure (such as arthroscopy of the knee joint) would provide the answer but I suspect that is just wishful thinking.

Am looking forward to learning what the real story is behind the current position - but at the moment, no-one (Strurrock, Eastwood, the club and the fans) seems to be winning from the situation.

who cares about Eastwood or Harris or Bunyon the more important thing is.........did we manage to smash up any seats last night,there's no point going unless this is going to happen

For me its a case of his face does not fit with Sturrock and the fact he has not been fit enough.

I personally think that Sturrock was/is making a point to the management that Freddy was not his choice. I think technically he is the best player at the club. If you watch his movement, his touch, his vision they are streets ahead of everything else we have. I just dont think he is a Sturrock type player and I think the manager is proving a point with that.

He was never going to be the player he was a few years ago but I hate they way people have turned on him now. He hasnt been given a run in the side for people to really judge him. Minutes here and there is not going to get him match fit. I think missing pre-season was a blow and he hasnt really got going since then.

For me given Tomlin is injured for a month now would be the ideal time to give him a run. Cant fault Barry Corr in any shape or form for his goals return but he has been given the chance to get back to shape and form as his face fits.

Personally I still think most sides at this level would kill to have Freddy. We I suspect will never see the best of him again but my gut feel is when the inevitable chop comes someone out there is going to get a good little player.

I dont think Sturrock would be cutting off his nose to spite his face to make a point, Im sure he just doesnt think Freddy deserves to be ahead of those that plays.

Techinically he is better than any player we have up front, but if he isnt fit enough, whether thats due to his attitude or just bad luck, then he is going to struggle to get in the side.

Personally I would like to see him playing now Tomlin is out, but Sturrock has far more insight than I and whilst I havent always agreed with his tactics I do bow to his judgement of players.

Back