• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Eateries and drinking holes of southend

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
I moved back to Southend recently and I've been trying to visit plenty of eateries and drinking establishments in southend.

My favourites so far are:

The royal hotel. Great beer. Nice decor and reasonably priced food. Looks quite high end but isn't overly expensive. Loads of cocktails too, if that's your thing.

The old trout. An old man's pub near sainsburies. Good selection or beer/ale. A little quiet, but very friendly. Cash only bar and no food.

Craftworks. Small modern looking bar in Alexandra street. Nice selection of beers and they also do a tester menu of 5 different drinks for £9. Very friendly. I believe they do food but haven't tried it yet.

The Alex. Remember drinking in there when it was the fish and firkin, many years ago. Quite quirky decor. Standard beer selection and pub type grub. Nice old building, frequented by a younger crowd.

The mews. Nelson mews Southend.
Lovely looking building. Decent beer selection, slightly pricey pint. Very east London chic.

Haven't eaten their yet, but the upstairs dining area looks immaculate and tastefully done. Probably next on my list to try for food.

Any other places that I should try?

West Road Tap - West Road, Westcliff.

Mile and a third - Hamlet Court Road, Westcliff.

West road tap is on my list.

Do mile and a third do beer on tap? I kind of begrudge paying £5 for a small can of beer.

Mile and a Third do 2 firkins on Draught and about 6 on Key Keg.
The owners are on holiday for a week or so.
Best to check on website re-opening date.
They also sponsor Blues on Tour.
Rochford is probably your best best for old fashioned pubs with a few draught beers

The old trout. An old man's pub near sainsburies. Good selection or beer/ale. A little quiet, but very friendly. Cash only bar and no food.

This is run by the man who used to own the Cork & Cheese which was based opposite Wilkos. The smoking legislation killed it as you couldn't go outside for a smoke. That pub was CAMRA pub of the year several times. It does do food at certain times of the day.

This is run by the man who used to own the Cork & Cheese which was based opposite Wilkos. The smoking legislation killed it as you couldn't go outside for a smoke. That pub was CAMRA pub of the year several times. It does do food at certain times of the day.

My Dad frequents the Trout and is a big fan. Can be very quiet at times but I understand the selection of ale and prices are very good indeed. Sounds more convivial than Riley’s Westcliff which was our usual spot before I left for the US.

My Dad frequents the Trout and is a big fan. Can be very quiet at times but I understand the selection of ale and prices are very good indeed. Sounds more convivial than Riley’s Westcliff which was our usual spot before I left for the US.
What is or was Riley's?
Trout is good for town centre pub, Cricketers is also better than most BUT West Road Tap is my favorite drop in for a very good couple of pints.
Pipe of Port for a pie and a pint, not cheap but quality rarely is,

What is or was Riley's?
Trout is good for town centre pub, Cricketers is also better than most BUT West Road Tap is my favorite drop in for a very good couple of pints.
Pipe of Port for a pie and a pint, not cheap but quality rarely is,

Rileys was a Snooker and Pool centre in Valkyrie Road. I think it's turned into something else now.

Ran the C&C how far back? Not Peter Miller?

Went down to Rossi's today for lunch, on a gorgeous day like today, you can do far worse things. Old fashioned, undoubtedly, but good, honest food, and of course, ice-cream too!

Back