• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo Today

Ha! Finally, Brush admits we missed Gray and Bentley!

So for everyone who said we should not have kept them - that is from the management team.

So for everyone who said we should not have kept them - that is from the management team.

there's a difference between missing 'the type of runs' Gray made, and his general inability to do anything with the ball when he got there.

Good news, hope we can get him in.

Plus, even better, no chance of alleged drunkard Stevie Thompson who in my book would be an extravegant waste of money! Before I get volleys of abuse he would do really well in L1 though!

Wouldve put Hayes down as more of a Harrold/Paynter type player. Not the blinding pace we are crying out for.

Loz youre being harsh on Wayne. He's topped 10 goals for 2 successive seasons in League one- I wonder how many players of ours next season will top 10 goals? Also his balls into the box created a fair few goals also, certainly more than JCR.

Wouldve put Hayes down as more of a Harrold/Paynter type player. Not the blinding pace we are crying out for.

Loz youre being harsh on Wayne. He's topped 10 goals for 2 successive seasons in League one- I wonder how many players of ours next season will top 10 goals? Also his balls into the box created a fair few goals also, certainly more than JCR.

How many of those were penalties?

Dont know much about Hayes so cant really comment on him but good to see Brushy thinks the same way most of us do about the type of players we need.

Not quite what was said.

"Wayne didn't get as many goals as we would have liked but he made the type of runs we have been missing,"

That doesnt say we should have kept him...

No he isnt.

10 goals is not impressive, especially as he takes penalties.

Last edited:
Not quite what was said.

"Wayne didn't get as many goals as we would have liked but he made the type of runs we have been missing,"

Does it not? Maybe that is a bit of selective quoting from you...

"Wayne didn't get as many goals as we would have liked but he made the type of runs we have been missing," said Brush. "There is no point looking back and regretting things though because there were games last season when Mark Bentley would have done a good job for us too."

That full quote - at the end says "...Mark Bentley would have done a good job for us too..." implies Brush thinks we missed both Bentley and Gray.

Does it not? Maybe that is a bit of selective quoting from you...

"Wayne didn't get as many goals as we would have liked but he made the type of runs we have been missing," said Brush. "There is no point looking back and regretting things though because there were games last season when Mark Bentley would have done a good job for us too."

That full quote - at the end says "...Mark Bentley would have done a good job for us too..." implies Brush thinks we missed both Bentley and Gray.

The vital part of that quote are the words "there were games"

meaning that the odd game last season , with hindsight , wayne gray and / or Mark Bentley would have done a good job

Hardly implies that over 46 + games Brush felt they were missed

Also , as they were told that they would not be first team regulars, it means that at times during the season they would have been called upon, as they were not there then they may well have been missed.

Gray,Bentley and Jupp left because they wanted regular first team football and the contacts they were offered did not reflect that.
Does anyone actually think that they would have been anything other than reserves being called up when the squad got thin ?

Last edited:
Not quite what was said.

No he isnt.

10 goals is not impressive, especially as he takes penalties.

On the contrary JM, that is exactly what Brushy is saying - that we should never have let Wayne Gray and Mark Bentley go.

There is no way he is going to come out and use those exact words, that would mean admitting publicly that they made a rather large error of judgement, and no manager will ever outright say I should never have sold this player or that, but IMO Brush is going as close as he possibly can to saying that without actually using those words.

As for Loz's comments, he is being very harsh on Wayne Gray. He got into double figures on two consecutive seasons, now you may say that is not that impressive, but its a darn sight better than any of our other strikers could manage, apart from Freddy. Aside from his directness and pace which created space and opportunites for Freddy, he also contribute to a lot of his goals - In fact, Freddy's first ever goal was down to a cross from Mr Gray.

Everyone has there own views about this, but believe me, Wayne Gray would have played the majority of games this season alongside Freddy when you look at the others we had to choose from.

Everyone has there own views about this, but believe me, Wayne Gray would have played the majority of games this season alongside Freddy when you look at the others we had to choose from.

Plus and this I feel is the most important point of the argument.
Wayne Gray IS the new Pele.
Oh how many times can I sing that on the sofa tonight, I wonder, before the Mrs punches me :p

Think back guys...

Facts:
1. WG was lightening fast
2. WG had an awful first touch
3. WG's second touch wasn't much to write home about either
4. An uninterested WG would mope around wasting oxygen
5. Except when he was falling on his arris.

Benno on the other hand was an honest box-to-box give-it-all player who could have done a job for us but who wanted the job security of a 2 or more year deal and the promise of more first-team footie than Tilly was willing to give. Pity really.

neither wayne gray or benno are setting alight their new clubs, why is everyone so bitter about losing them.

:flamer: hmmm... well gillingham and yeovil aren't as good as us!

*skulks away in defeat*

Back