• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England in Australia .. One Day Series

I don't have the stats to hand, but didn't he only bowl an over or two in the World Cup? I think there are better hitting batsmen than him. I'll give you his fielding though.

Bopara should be after his role - but he's let his fielding slip recently. You could argue he's let his whole game slip, actually.

He only had to bowl an over or two in the World Cup (and it was quite a good over IIRC), but how much chance has a no.6 got to influence a 20:20 game with his batting? I'd suggest it's less than with his fielding, if he fields in key positions.

Was Swann's shot as idiotic as cricinfo's commentary suggests?

Scores are tied. Dot ball seems an eliminator. England have nothing to lose.

Do they have a magic over if scores are tied, and if so, what happens it a team is bowled out?

Basically the non-striker should be backing up by the wicketkeeper and the batsman should be taking strike half way down the pitch.

He only had to bowl an over or two in the World Cup (and it was quite a good over IIRC), but how much chance has a no.6 got to influence a 20:20 game with his batting? I'd suggest it's less than with his fielding, if he fields in key positions.

Was Swann's shot as idiotic as cricinfo's commentary suggests?

A 25 off 10 at the end of an innings can swing it massively. If Smith got even 20 off the 11 balls he faced at 6, his team would have won today.

Swanns' shot wasn't great. Played it as if it was going to be a short delivery and infact it was pretty full.

Not sure what happens in the golden over tbh. I've only just woken up and caught the last 2 overs!

:smile:

A 25 off 10 at the end of an innings can swing it massively. If Smith got even 20 off the 11 balls he faced at 6, his team would have won today.

Absolutely, but you also need to recall that Wright is capable of that type of innings eg http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/412685.html. His domestic 20:20 SR is 144.37.

Someone like Bopara may produce that innings more often in international cricket (although I think he needs an over or two to get going), but you need to weigh up the runs Wright saves in the field (and with the ball, because he's a better bowler than Ravi) against the number of times Bopara will produce that innings when Wright wouldn't.

The fact that England have won their last 8 suggests that it's working.

The General said:
Not sure what happens in the golden over tbh. I've only just woken up and caught the last 2 overs!

:smile:
Think it's just a one-over game, but you can only lose 3 wickets at most.

Absolutely, but you also need to recall that Wright is capable of that type of innings eg http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/412685.html. His domestic 20:20 SR is 144.37.

Someone like Bopara may produce that innings more often in international cricket (although I think he needs an over or two to get going), but you need to weigh up the runs Wright saves in the field (and with the ball, because he's a better bowler than Ravi) against the number of times Bopara will produce that innings when Wright wouldn't.

The fact that England have won their last 8 suggests that it's working.

And another thing in Wright's favour is that he doesn't seem selfish with his wicket - not sure Bopara would be quite so willing to swing at the hip straight away for the team.

I'd like to see him contribute with bat and ball a bit more than he does, though.

And another thing in Wright's favour is that he doesn't seem selfish with his wicket - not sure Bopara would be quite so willing to swing at the hip straight away for the team.

I'd like to see him contribute with bat and ball a bit more than he does, though.

I'd rather he contributed less with the bat and ball as it means England's top 4 have got out and one of the bowlers is leaking runs!

Back