• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England poppy ban...

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
Seems like FIFA just love to upset us

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/anger-fifas-england-poppy-ban-110259627.html

If we're playing this at home, at Wembley then why should our national team NOT be allowed to wear this symbol on the eve of Rememberance Sunday? Does it honestly offend anyone, or are FIFA just such a bunch of jobsworths that they aren't prepared to bend their rules just a tiny little bit?

Apparently, FIFA don't permit commercial symbols on shirts either. Like Umbro, adidas or Nike logos, that sort of thing. Oh hang on...

Seems like it.

Fair enough, I'm not against them at all at league level. It's a day that should always be remembered and it's always a moving tribute when you're at a remembrance day game. However on an international level I'm less inclined, mainly because it's most relevant to the UK, although some other countries share our Remembrance Day (but none formally, like we do, I think). I've never noticed other countries having anything more than a black armband if they want to commemorate or pay tribute to something, so IMO I'm not too fussed. Seems to me it's a pedantic FIFA rule about the shirts than anything against Remembrance Sunday anyway.

The Poppy ban stands but the FA have announced a whole host of related items as a show of support

Most notable ...

Poppy embroided pre and post match training kit, to be worn during the National Anthem
Poppy Wreath laid on the pitch during the Anthem
Minutes silence pre kick off
Poppy displayed on scoreboard
U19s and U21s to have same for their matches

I think the FA are to be applauded for at least trying to fight the FIFA machine here

I fail to see why everyone's getting their knickers in a twist about it, I don't recall us ever having worn the poppy before and there's been an England friendly around this time of year, every year for the last decade.

I was going to say there are plenty of other ways to show respect, but then I saw Blueblood's post so that's covered now. As someone pointed out in twitter, poppy sales are at an all time low, it's far more important to get the 90,000 in the crowd to wear them than the 11 on the pitch.

Fair enough, I'm not against them at all at league level. It's a day that should always be remembered and it's always a moving tribute when you're at a remembrance day game. However on an international level I'm less inclined, mainly because it's most relevant to the UK, although some other countries share our Remembrance Day (but none formally, like we do, I think). I've never noticed other countries having anything more than a black armband if they want to commemorate or pay tribute to something, so IMO I'm not too fussed. Seems to me it's a pedantic FIFA rule about the shirts than anything against Remembrance Sunday anyway.

You're not quite right Jon, France & Belgium have Armistace Day as a Public Holiday on the actual day. We've always had ours on the nearest Sunday.

I fail to see why everyone's getting their knickers in a twist about it, I don't recall us ever having worn the poppy before and there's been an England friendly around this time of year, every year for the last decade.

I was going to say there are plenty of other ways to show respect, but then I saw Blueblood's post so that's covered now. As someone pointed out in twitter, poppy sales are at an all time low, it's far more important to get the 90,000 in the crowd to wear them than the 11 on the pitch.
I don't recall internationals being played on the eve of Rememberance Sunday before, I think that is why people are getting irate about it. That and the whole fact of people who know sod all about it telling US what to do! My suggestion would have been to wear armbands with poppies embroidered on, I think that would have got around the regulations nicely. Fair play to the FA though for showing they do have some backbone.

I don't recall internationals being played on the eve of Rememberance Sunday before, I think that is why people are getting irate about it. That and the whole fact of people who know sod all about it telling US what to do! My suggestion would have been to wear armbands with poppies embroidered on, I think that would have got around the regulations nicely. Fair play to the FA though for showing they do have some backbone.

Should the players not have the choice if they want to wear an armband with a poppy embroided on or not?
I have decided not wear a poppy this year, but have made a contribution.

I wear a poppy and think it is a very good cause but as some others have said I don't understand why the FA has chosen now to make a cause out of this.
We must have played internationals around this date nearly every year since Remembrance Day started but have the England team ever worn them before?
The cynic in me wonders whether the FA sees this as an opportunity to gain a bit of kudos with the public and divert people from the general uselessness of the FA as organisation.
Still don't understand why the rebuilt Wembley. I still think they should have continued to use club grounds around the country.

Nobody shares our remembrance day? I don't think it would have been called World War I if we were the only people involved. What an absolute crock of ****.

I wear a poppy and think it is a very good cause but as some others have said I don't understand why the FA has chosen now to make a cause out of this.
We must have played internationals around this date nearly every year since Remembrance Day started but have the England team ever worn them before?
The cynic in me wonders whether the FA sees this as an opportunity to gain a bit of kudos with the public and divert people from the general uselessness of the FA as organisation.
Still don't understand why the rebuilt Wembley. I still think they should have continued to use club grounds around the country.

While I think the FIFA agreement is a decent compromise, I'm tending to agree with you. As a matter of interest wearing a poppy on a shirt is only a recent innovation, I'm sure it's not more than 5 years. And we must have played Internationals around Remembrance Day in the past, and then a minutes silence has sufficed as has been the case in the Football League for many years.

Back