• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England under 21's (Old Thread - 2013)

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
The FA have appointed Gareth Southgate as the new Head Coach of the England Under-21 team on a three-year contract.

Are they having a laugh!

April foo- *checks date* - oh .....

Have they tried to prove a point by hiring someone worse than Pearce?

FFS.

This was the perfect opportunity for the FA to show they were serious about actually changing things in the England set-up.

FUUUUUUUU

One thing I will say about Southgate is that he is widely regarded as one of the best youth coaches in the country at the moment, or certainly was a few years ago. A mate of wine works at the Birmingham academy, and Southgate (and funnily enough, Roy Keane) are banded around as examples for other coaches to learn from.

He's obviously completely unproven as a manager, but the FA are in a difficult position because very few people are able to be both coach and manager at once because they don't necessarily go hand in hand. The people that can are highly sought after and prefer club jobs where they're given day to day access to players, so they can get their message and ideas across.

I fully back the FA's approach to hire someone who's primarily a coach, because the U21s glaringly lacked refinement in Israel this summer. That said, I can't understand what's wrong with Muelensteen. A proven coach and manager who is just about as highly rated as they come. He knows half the potential squad having worked with them at Man United and he was seemingly after the job anyway having been cast out by Anzhi. If he's available and affordable, he's twice the candidate Southgate is.

To be honest, I didn't know Southgate was highly regarded as a coach. I think the main thing for U21s is to be properly coached, not necessarily managed. I hope Roy keeps a close link to the U21s as well.

Agree about Muelensteen.

lets givehim a chance,lots of people think he is very good.but would rather have had glen hoddle,but till we change the way the guttless fa are run,the are very poor,get people in at the top who will&want to change things, we are going to have problems, who ever is in charge.

There definitely needs to be a far better link from the U19s to the full senior side with a complete removal of this bollocks concept that once you're a regular in the senior side you're exempt from turning out for the U21s. Players should be exposed to as much international as football in their formative years, not spared for some nonsense friendly that holds absolute no bearing.

There definitely needs to be a far better link from the U19s to the full senior side with a complete removal of this bollocks concept that once you're a regular in the senior side you're exempt from turning out for the U21s. Players should be exposed to as much international as football in their formative years, not spared for some nonsense friendly that holds absolute no bearing.

This is the cricial thing.

Doesn't matter who is in charge if our best young players are not playing.

Just look at how Germany and Spain do it, and copy them!

Being unfair to my mate Cricko here as it was his opening post, but it's an interesting thread. Not sure too many of us were massively inspired by Gareth's appointment at the time, and this was for his U21 appointment.

Just look at how Germany and Spain do it, and copy them!
By many accounts, this is exactly what Gareth has done, as well as modelling success from other sports. Even if the worst happens from here, it's a breath of fresh air having a good guy at the helm - not unlike our own Chris Powell.

By many accounts, this is exactly what Gareth has done, as well as modelling success from other sports. Even if the worst happens from here, it's a breath of fresh air having a good guy at the helm - not unlike our own Chris Powell.

Indeed, it's so refreshing to feel like you are actually rooting for the good guys (although we'll have to ignore Henderson's disgraceful play-acting for a bit).

Obviously it helps both Southgate and Powell to be succeeding (pun intended) Allardyce and Brown.

lets wait and see,we expected the Q/F,we are now there...we will see tomorrow.
I do hope foe everyone it comes off...but im still not sure

Back