• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England v banladesh

Hong Kong Blue

The big series that everyone was waiting for is now upon us.....

England have won the toss and put the tourists in.

Any predictions for how many Bangladesh will make?

I think they may surprise a few people and get beyond 200, so I'm going to say all out for 220.

They'll do well to break 200 now... they're 71/5 at the moment.

oops.gif

I wish I'd seen your post earlier HKB....I might have tried to get a spread bet with you on that total!

There's no way I'd have gone for a spread on that!

What do you reckon will be the England score? I'm thinking somewhere in the region of 500.

I'm not sure about 500, why dont we just declare on 400 and get it finished quicker? Cant see them getting 300 in the 2nd innings, so 500 isnt really necessary IMO

Batting practice at Lord's is always handy; and they don't want the Test to be over too early because that would harm revenue.

I'm sure that, so long as no one chucks their wickets away, they'll probably look to bat until perhaps mid-morning on Saturday, so that they can have it wrapped up by the close of play.

It does make you wonder, though, why there isn't a two tier Test system. OK, so Bangladesh want and need to grow their Test side. But how edifying is it for them to come up against the likes of England and get soundly thrashed...

rock.gif

Agreed, the teams at the bottom should all play each other instead so they actually do improve. These teams would include Bangladesh, West Indies, Zimbabwe.....who else?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ May 26 2005,17:51)]There's no way I'd have gone for a spread on that!

What do you reckon will be the England score? I'm thinking somewhere in the region of 500.
Likewise. Maybe 550. As MtS says, they should keep going for as long as possible, the batting practice can't hurt.

Funny to think that so far this season, county bowling attacks have proved more taxing for England's players than a Test one....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Museshrimper @ May 27 2005,06:48)]Agreed, the teams at the bottom should all play each other instead so they actually do improve. These teams would include Bangladesh, West Indies, Zimbabwe.....who else?
Ouch! Bit harsh on the Windies (presuming you weren't joking)!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ May 27 2005,09:01)]Funny to think that so far this season, county bowling attacks have proved more taxing for England's players than a Test one....
Probably becuase most county attacks are better than the Bangles....

BTW I reckon we will try to bat for about another 75 - 80 overs and get them back in tonight for 10-12 overs. Don't forget Vaughny has tickets for the CC1 play-off final on Sunday....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BILLERICAY BLUE @ May 27 2005,10:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ May 27 2005,09:01)]Funny to think that so far this season, county bowling attacks have proved more taxing for England's players than a Test one....
My point exactly! The sooner Bangladesh and Zimbabwe get relegeated to a second tier the better.

[b said:
[b said:

BTW I reckon we will try to bat for about another 75 - 80 overs and get them back in tonight for 10-12 overs. Don't forget Vaughny has tickets for the CC1 play-off final on Sunday....
Is he a Preston supporter as well as Freddie ??

rock.gif

I would think Sheffield Wednesday or Hartlepool would be more likely
biggrin.gif

Lunch and 360-1.

If we bat on for the rest of today we will be on 650 or so. If we are only 3 or 4 down by the close I say bat on to tea on Saturday and we will be close to beating the world test record of 907 (or so).

I know it's only Bangladesh but a record is a record!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrB @ May 27 2005,12:30)]I would think Sheffield Wednesday or Hartlepool would be more likely
biggrin.gif
If is wasn't so hot i'd get me coat.

Vaughan must be a Sheff Wed fan then even though he was born and bred in Manchester.

The resident Preston North End Blue at work informs me Freddie is one of them though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ May 27 2005,11:17)]
[b said:
[b said:
My point exactly! The sooner Bangladesh and Zimbabwe get relegeated to a second tier the better.
My chief difficulty is that who would you put into that second division? Even if you used it as a vehicle for accelerating Kenya's Test status, who's next in line? Namibia? Ireland? Scotland? Holland? Denmark?

rock.gif

In addition, on what basis does a nation then get elevated to the first division? Would there ever be relegation to the second division?

I have no answers for any of those questions - but it does seem as if it is an awfully long way off.

Matt

P.S. Bugger... Banger has gone for 194; England 417/3.

England declared on 528-3.

In reply Bangladesh are currently 40-1.

Back