• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England v. India, 1st ODI

Matt the Shrimp

aka Harry Potter
Well, remarkable goings-on at the Rose Bowl. Remarkable, in that England has been put into bat and has done rather bloomin' well.

After 48.2 ov, we're 271/2. Cook has hit his maiden ODI ton (eventually bowled for 102 by Singh), Bell has hit his maiden ODI ton (currently 113* off 111), and KP is smacking it around with 29 off 22.

Blimey. 290 would be nice.

:D

Unlike previous Rose Bowl pitches, this one looks flat and its not doing much despite the overhead cloud.

I would have taken 288 having lost the toss, but having watched it, I'm disappointed England didn't get over 300 considering how many wickets in hand we had.

It will be interesting to see how we bowl on it, because the likes of Zaheer Khan and RP Singh did OK and weren't particularly expensive, it was part-timers plus Agarkar (who isn't very good) who went for runs. The England seamers may be able to get more out of it than India were able to.

Finished up 288-2, just a couple short of your 290 Matt!

I'm always slightly worried when a side in a one-day match only loses two wickets in their first innings. All the signs (India batting under lights in the 'transitional' phase, chasing nearly 6 an over, the Rose Bowl not traditionally being a high-scoring ground, though this is changing) point towards an England win, but I can't help but think sacrificing a couple more wickets would have been beneficial. The likes of Collingwood, Flintoff, Bopara and Mascarenhas didn't even get out to bat.

England 'only' added 78 from the last 10 overs, starting that period with 9 wickets in hand. I expect us to win, but it won't be one-sided.

Finished up 288-2, just a couple short of your 290 Matt!

I'm always slightly worried when a side in a one-day match only loses two wickets in their first innings. All the signs (India batting under lights in the 'transitional' phase, chasing nearly 6 an over, the Rose Bowl not traditionally being a high-scoring ground, though this is changing) point towards an England win, but I can't help but think sacrificing a couple more wickets would have been beneficial. The likes of Collingwood, Flintoff, Bopara and Mascarenhas didn't even get out to bat.

England 'only' added 78 from the last 10 overs, starting that period with 9 wickets in hand. I expect us to win, but it won't be one-sided.

Ouch. 78 from the last 10 overs is poor. I don't have a problem with the slow start, but we really needed to accelerate in those last 10.

Overall a good oerformance by England, and well done to Cook & Bell for getting their first ODI 100's. Agree with YB and it's perhaps a bit churlish, but I think that they should have got 300, with batters like Collingood, Flintoff & Bopara in the hutch. Wowever 288 proved to be plenty in the end.

A pretty good bowling performance aided by some poor Indian running between the wickets. Also for once England looked a decent fielding side, Panesar with a run out:confused: blimey!!!:D

I hope they can keep the momentum now the have it.

I agree with the majority of this thread, but I still really really don't rate Prior. Someone like Mustard needs to be in the one day team, and I'm still holding out for Read to make another return to the test arena.

Foster has done excellently for Essex as a closer in one-day cricket.

I'd stick with Prior for the time being.

I'd give Foster another chance. He had a go when we had no one else got dropped and now doesn't even get mentioned.

I'd give Foster another chance. He had a go when we had no one else got dropped and now doesn't even get mentioned.

As I remember it, Fossie was even more unlucky than that - he played pretty well in India on a tough tour, making a few 40s (sadly no 50s) and then, when he would have started the following summer as England's first-choice keeper, ahead of Alex Stewart, who had refused to undertake that tour, he broke his arms in the nets at Chelmsford. He sat out the summer, Stewie performed well, and he got just one more Test, at Melbourne, when he failed to claim a catch offered by Steve Waugh.

I'd like to think I watch a lot of one-day cricket, and in the past three years, I haven't seen anyone perform as well as Fossie - it is a travesty that he hasn't been given a chance again, at least at ODI level.

Back