• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England v South Africa

The Saffers are here for a ludicrously short 3 test series, was it really not beyond the wit of he ECB to make this a 5 test series and also not schedule a test slap dab in the middle of the Olympics. But prior to that playing a pretty meaningless 5 ODI's against the convicts. I'm happy we've stuffed them, but IMO we could have been playing test matches against the Saffers.

Sad to see that Mark Boucher has decided to retire after being struck in the eye in their warm up game against Somerset. He was set to play his 150th test against England at Lords.

Terrible injury. I've never really liked the guy TBH, but wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Identical injury to that sustained by Paul Downton. He had to retire as well.

The Saffers are here for a ludicrously short 3 test series, was it really not beyond the wit of he ECB to make this a 5 test series and also not schedule a test slap dab in the middle of the Olympics. But prior to that playing a pretty meaningless 5 ODI's against the convicts. I'm happy we've stuffed them, but IMO we could have been playing test matches against the Saffers.

Sad to see that Mark Boucher has decided to retire after being struck in the eye in their warm up game against Somerset. He was set to play his 150th test against England at Lords.

I'm with you Harry, this series deserves 5 tests. I've got tickets for next Thursday at the Oval, I predict a hard fought 1-1 drawn series.

Yeah should be a 5 match series, the two best teams in the world at the moment! Still looking forward to it although I feel the weather could play its part. :sad:

So how will England line up? Personally I'd like to see;

Strauss
Cook
Trott
Bell
Pietersen
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Finn

As I've said before, with Prior and Bresnan in the side, I think you can allow the luxury of another seamer. But I suppose they'll keep the current format, especially against the equal best bowling attack in world cricket (Bowlers series me thinks). I also wish they'd swap Bell and KP around in the order. Suspect they'll go for Bopara over Bairstow or Morgan in the end.

So how will England line up? Personally I'd like to see;

Strauss
Cook
Trott
Bell
Pietersen
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Finn

As I've said before, with Prior and Bresnan in the side, I think you can allow the luxury of another seamer. But I suppose they'll keep the current format, especially against the equal best bowling attack in world cricket (Bowlers series me thinks). I also wish they'd swap Bell and KP around in the order. Suspect they'll go for Bopara over Bairstow or Morgan in the end.

Flower & Strauss are happy with the 4 man attack, therefore the only change from the last series against the WIndies will be Bopara for Bairstow. I would love to see Steven Finn in the side but he won't displace Anderson or Broad unless one gets injured.

I'm running out of superlatives to describe Alaistair Cook

The second youngest player to record 20 Test centuries, behind Tendulker rather obviously and surely its just a matter of time before he overtakes the 4 players with more .. today he drew level with his mentor Graham Gooch and team mate KP who, at 32 is 5 years Cookies senior so even if Pietersen does go ahead again he'll have time on his side to overhaul him once more

England Test Centuries

22 Boycott, Cowdrey, Hammond
21 Strauss
20 Barrington, Cook, Gooch, Pietersen

As for runs he still stands 13th though todays ton edges him ever closer to the top and its not inconceivable that in less than a year we could have 3 current players in the top 10 .. not bad considering there's 135 years of players competing for the honour

England Test Runs

8900 Gooch
8463 Stewart
8231 Gower
8114 Boycott
7728 Atherton
7624 Cowdrey
7249 Hammond
6971 Hutton
6913 Strauss
6899 Pietersen
6806 Barrington
6744 Thorpe
6474 Cook

Last edited:
It seems to happen so often! A player 100+ not out at the end of one day's play goes early the next. Added to that the completely inept (at Test level) Bopara goes for a duck. Couldn't see why, given his run in Test overthe last few years, why he was given yet another chance.

Why dont we just play Prior at 6 then Bresnan at 7 and play an extra bowler (Finn). Morgan, Bopara, Bairstow none look good enough.

It seems to happen so often! A player 100+ not out at the end of one day's play goes early the next. Added to that the completely inept (at Test level) Bopara goes for a duck. Couldn't see why, given his run in Test overthe last few years, why he was given yet another chance.

Of course Bopara shouldn't have been ruled out of England contention because he had a couple of bad innings a few years ago.

He's still younger than either Strauss or Trott were when they started their test careers. As Andy Zaltzman quite rightly says, if he's going to get chucked out of last chance saloon it's for being underage.

He's just got out when he was new to the crease, facing the number one bowler in the world, who was bowling with the new ball and his tail up having just dismissed probably the best opening batsman in the world. It happens.

But then I suppose if Cook isn't good enough for either the test or one-day teams, Bopara isn't either.

I suspect James Taylor may be England's number 6 this winter.

I think you may be right. I think like Bairstow (against WIndies) that Bopara will play in all 3 tests against the Saffers, if he fails then Taylor should be the next in line.

Flower & Strauss like to go with 6 batsmen, keeper & 4 bowlers, and then get some overs from one of the batsmen. That's why Collingwood was such a handy player.

Back