• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England win by 2 runs

Bob Cratchitt

Devil's Advocate
Just when I thought we were going to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory, finally we got the 10th man out with 2 runs to go.

biggrin.gif
cool.gif

I love my football and could never live without it.

But nothing compares to Test Cricket when it's played like that 3 and a bit days of excellent cricket by the two best teams in the world. Oh yeah, and it was the Ashes!!!

Very happy now!

What a game. I thought we were going to lose it, after an excellent display by the Aussie tail but in the end we came good. I was visiting some friends when it happened and they looked very strangely at me when I jumped out of the seat in celebration.

A hugely entertaining test, who said test cricket was boring?!?

I thought it was gone once the Aussies got down to the teens to win. By the time it was single figures it looked all up. If they had won this Test, I really could have seen them go on and win the series 4 or 5-0 - the psychological impact on our players would have been immense.

Now we have to take this advantage into Thursday and take the gae to them as we did at Edgbaston. This is our finest cahnce as they are still McGrathless.
He really is the difference between the two sides as evidenced over the last 4 days.

Good that we are sticking with the same side for Old Trafford. Funnily enough had we won by the expected 60-70 runs there might have been some changes to the line-up (Bell, G. Jones, Hoggard(?)) but with this narrow win it is absolutely right we stick with the team as the confidence and adrenalin should now be pouring.

Had the Aussies won they would have been insufferable.

If the Aussies had won that test then I think the series would have been over. Now we can enter the third test with confidence and hopefully put ourselves ahead in the series. We have to take advantage of the absence of McGrath - as you say he's the Aussies' real danger man and without him they lost their edge slightly

Just got out of intensive care after Sunday - wow, and well said how can cricket be boring when played at that level and intensity.

Hats off to the Aussies what a performance to drag themselves so close, that is why they are world champions. Going into Old Trafford, England have the momentum, they do not have McGrath, and with a slightly ageing side it will be interesting to see how they bounce back.

I still think that they will win the series, but to all the gloom mongerers England are a competitive and fine test match team.

Quite simply the most spell-binding, nerve-shredding, amazing morning of cricket I've ever seen. So many amazing moments of cricket throughout the Test as well - it goes down as a true modern classic, up there with Headlingley '81, I reckon.

Hard to pick a "moment", really... you could have any of:

*Freddy's six on the top TV gantry (I think that's the biggest hit I've ever seen)
*Ponting putting 9 men on the boundary during Freddy's 10th wicket stand
*Harmison's slow ball to dismiss Clarke (one of the ballsiest deliveries I've seen in years)
*Harmison's delivery & GO Jones's catch to clinch the win
*Freddy going straight over to Lee straight after the win was clinched

When Test cricket reaches these heights, there is very little that competes with it in terms of pure sporting drama - perhaps only "the 5-1 in Munich" comes close.

Amazing - and boy did the series need us to win. Had the Aussies won yesterday, England would have been broken psychologically and, at 2-0, the series would have been over. Now, it's up for grabs...

cool.gif

Matt

Also Shane Warne proving that he should keep his trousers on at all times, what a bowler, and a good sport as well, his congratulations after Freddies 2nd innings was great.

I loved the Flintoff gesture to Brett Lee, they had knocked lumps off each other throughout. What a contest and 3 more to come, heres hoping the weather stays fine.

One last point, I love football, but I really do think that footballers and managers should look at the way the players in this test conducted themselves and the great spirit that the game was played. No quarter asked or given, but no spiteful ludicrous big willy contests afterwards. I hope among others the charmless Ferguson, Wenger & Mourinho were watching, although I doubt it.

Back