• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England

Thrashed by Argentina at home?

Lol. Come on Naps. If Germany had played a full strength side that result last night would of been very different, as seen in the World Cup final.

The Germans are the best side in the world at present. No denying that. That is all down to looking at their problems about 10 years ago and addressing them. They are now seeing the benefits from that. We could learn a lot from their model.

Look at the team sheets from the Germany v England U21 final from 2009. How many of our kids have progressed to be regulars and stars in the senior side, compared to the Germans?....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8122457.stm

I could be wrong but I thought the top 3 qualify?(not checked but was told this)so if correct we will easily qualify even if we finish second(top 2 only).

Dyer and Routledge could be worth a look because if Sterling or Oxley are playing bad/injured/banned they are there in the fold ready and waiting.

Shelvey is hit and miss but still plays for a prem club and warrants a game from the bench because he cannot do no worse than the Liverpool guy last night who only passes square and offers little to the forwards.

I assume you mean Henderson, who this season has been one of the league's best midfielders?

West Ham unfashionable? Erm Bobby Moore was West Ham and England captain and leading star, the Beckham of his day. The same season they were Cup Winners Cup semi finallists and League Cup finallists

Who finished 12th in the league !

Never mentioned Sir Bobby.

Did Hodgson really need to name a 'captain' on a permanent basis? Could he just not have nominated a captain each time he named a squad (and if that is repeatedly same person so be it....). Do other countries name a captain for a lengthy period of time?

Whilst I think Rooney should be in the squad, I fear his elevation to captain and the continuing debate over his best position and tinkering with systems to try to get the best out of him is hampering us. Sterling is proving a far more influential player in the free role (as he did in the World Cup) and I'd rather we built the attack team around him rather than shunt him out wide to allow Rooney the free role, where we are getting dismissing returns year on year....

Huddlestone Shelvey Dyer Ro

Huddlestone and Shelvey no way thank you. As ESB said would you choose Dyer and Routledge over Sterling, Oxlade, Walcott, Barkley (Him and Sterling behind forward are the future, imo), Lallana for similar positions? Again i think not.

Strangely enough i feel the team is very close to being a top class side perhaps for the future as the majority are very young. I think if they can get the formation correct i feel it is quite promising. God, even Welbeck looked good last night and Arsenal may well bring out the best of him.

Did Hodgson really need to name a 'captain' on a permanent basis? Could he just not have nominated a captain each time he named a squad (and if that is repeatedly same person so be it....). Do other countries name a captain for a lengthy period of time?

Whilst I think Rooney should be in the squad, I fear his elevation to captain and the continuing debate over his best position and tinkering with systems to try to get the best out of him is hampering us. Sterling is proving a far more influential player in the free role (as he did in the World Cup) and I'd rather we built the attack team around him rather than shunt him out wide to allow Rooney the free role, where we are getting dismissing returns year on year....

Yeah I agree, and sadly think that Roy has made a rod for his own back. The only other potential candidate for it would be Gary Cahill IMO.

Hurst was not first choice for England.

And rightly so. In 1966 I don't think many would have picked Hurst over someone who scored 44 goals in 57 games for his country and had just become the first player to top the First Division scoring charts for three consecutive seasons.

Only once Rooney and Hodgson are no longer part of the England set up will we improve. Giving Rooney the armband means he is a guranteed starter and will throw a strop if he is moved out to the wing. The team should be built around the attacking talents of Sturridge and Sterling who link up brilliantly for Liverpool. Chuck in Wellbeck, Henderson, Ox, Walcott and England do have some genuine class forward players. Unfortunately Hodgsons stale tactics and blind loyalty to Rooney will hinder more than help. Norway were awful and shouldve been buried 3 or 4 goals.

Roy so far,

Shocking WC
Lowest Wembley crowd
20th in ranking
2 wins from last 10

Roy has got to go ASAP!,Monday could well be his watershed.

Roy so far,

Shocking WC
Lowest Wembley crowd
20th in ranking
2 wins from last 10

Eh? If we're including friendlies then it's three wins from the last ten games. If we're only including competitive fixtures, which is surely a far clearer indication of an international manager's ability, then its four wins from the last ten. Remove the tough World Cup group fixtures and it's six from the last ten and no losses.

Statistic manipulation is fun, isn't it?

Roy so far,

Shocking WC
Lowest Wembley crowd
20th in ranking
2 wins from last 10

Replaced by who? The only manager who can do anything with the current group of players is Scottish and retired.

Eh? If we're including friendlies then it's three wins from the last ten games. If we're only including competitive fixtures, which is surely a far clearer indication of an international manager's ability, then its four wins from the last ten. Remove the tough World Cup group fixtures and it's six from the last ten and no losses.

Statistic manipulation is fun, isn't it?

Forgot to include last night,

Nah let us stick to the last 10 so much easier.

Replaced by who? The only manager who can do anything with the current group of players is Scottish and retired.

I think Harry has missed the boat now,

So

The FA should look at Miss Marple or even Jim Davidson and possibly white Dee because they cannot do worse than the current one.

Harry was never on the boat. Harry exchanged his boat ticket for a suspicious bank account in a tax haven and a cardboard cut-out of Niko Kranjcar.

Roy so far,

Shocking WC
Lowest Wembley crowd
20th in ranking
2 wins from last 10

Terrible sense of deja vu with this, almost as if I've read something similar somewhere else recently...........

Back