• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex CCC V SUFC 20/20 game

stickyboy

Director
See in my Essex members magazine it says that there will be a 20/20 pro-am game at Roots Hall (possibly Monday 7th May) involving Essex CCC and Southend Utd to raise funds for the Cricketing Centre of Excellance at Garon Park and SUFC charities

A bit of a mismatch surely?

I'll have to try and work out what my Southend XI would be.

In anycase, this is how I think we'd line-up

1. Maher* RHB & RHM - Kev will be one of those captains who insists on opening the batting and bowling, despite not being the best choice to do so, but good line and length bowling

2. Hammell LHB - a dogged left handed opener

3. Gower LHB & RHS - an elegant, graceful batsman and useful part-time bowler

4. Clarke RHB - gritty middle order batsman in the Collingwood type of mould

5. Hunt RHB - an elegant batsman capable of driving effortlessly through the covers and the type of batsman who has reached 50 before you realise it

6. Bradbury RHB & RMF- experienced all-rounder

7. Collis RHB & WK- the team's best keeper

8. Foran RHB & RMF - looks like he could be a big hitter, but lack the patience to build an innings. Could be a useful bowler with his strong frame.

9. Campbell-Ryce RF - a Tino Best small but very nippy, the quickest bowler in the team

10. Harrold RFM - a raw quick bowler

11. Paynter RFM - a Harmison-type bowler, capable of extracting great bounce and a fair bit of pace from those huge shoulders, but issues with confidence

No spinners in your line up? I reckon Barrett could offer some left arm spin and useful runs in an Ashley Giles way.....whilst not quite being a wheelie - bin in the outfield.

Surely Sodge has the makings of a whispering death out and out fast bowler with a nasty streak...

In anycase, this is how I think we'd line-up

1. Maher* RHB & RHM - Kev will be one of those captains who insists on opening the batting and bowling, despite not being the best choice to do so, but good line and length bowling

2. Hammell LHB - a dogged left handed opener

3. Gower LHB & RHS - an elegant, graceful batsman and useful part-time bowler

4. Clarke RHB - gritty middle order batsman in the Collingwood type of mould

5. Hunt RHB - an elegant batsman capable of driving effortlessly through the covers and the type of batsman who has reached 50 before you realise it

6. Bradbury RHB & RMF- experienced all-rounder

7. Collis RHB & WK- the team's best keeper

8. Foran RHB & RMF - looks like he could be a big hitter, but lack the patience to build an innings. Could be a useful bowler with his strong frame.

9. Campbell-Ryce RF - a Tino Best small but very nippy, the quickest bowler in the team

10. Harrold RFM - a raw quick bowler

11. Paynter RFM - a Harmison-type bowler, capable of extracting great bounce and a fair bit of pace from those huge shoulders, but issues with confidence

Sorry did miss out that it mentions that cricketers will be on both sides.

I do remember seeing a experiemental floodlit game Essex v Surrey in Roots Hall in late 80's I reckon - one of the first ever floodlight games

Yep, I went to that match as well & it was crap! If I remember the wicket was placed infront of directors box with hardly any boundary behind the batsman, all the bowling was done from one end.

Sorry but I can't see this latest match being up to much, the Roots Hall pitch is not big enough for cricket.

Yep, I went to that match as well & it was crap! If I remember the wicket was placed infront of directors box with hardly any boundary behind the batsman, all the bowling was done from one end.

Sorry but I can't see this latest match being up to much, the Roots Hall pitch is not big enough for cricket.

I don't think anyone will be going expecting to see a proper match. It'll just be a bit of fun for charity the day after we've (hopefully) stayed up.

Presuming everything has gone alright at St.Marys the day before I'm really looking forward to it.

Back