• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 02 2004,16:00)]Make that 34/3... Edwards is making a big impact.  Given how much damage he did in his first spell in Kingston, are we open to the criticism that the only reason we've built up a 2-0 lead in the Series is because he's been out injured...

rock.gif
sad.gif

Edwards currently boasts figures of 3/15 off 10 overs (and 4 maidens) - pretty damn impressive.

As they say - there's no substitute for genuine pace...

ghostface.gif

Matt
43-3 now. Hinds is bowling, maybe just a change of ends for Edwards, although I can't see why.

Good question, to which I'm not sure of the answer, probably get a better idea when he has to bowl with an old ball. Although to be fair he's got the sort of action that will help him swing it whatever the state of the ball.

Blimey. Anyone else see that coming? Three cheers for Matt Hoggard as well. Cadd**k said some pretty uncomplimentary stuff about him last month:

"Hoggard will not play when all England's first-choice bowlers are fit, it's as simple as that."

presumably in order to talk his own game up... Cadd**k has been absent from the Test side through injury for a long time now - and so was presumably dismissing Hoggard in order to talk up his own chances of regaining a Test berth.

That's a possibility which is looking ever more remote now, you'd have to say...

Congrats to Vaughany; and Nasser - cheer up, yer miserable bugger. He was not smiling too much in Gower's post-match interview, which (in one sense) would suggest some form of alienation from the side, not least because of Vaughan's early successes compared to Nasser. Indeed, as a man who wears his heart and his pride on his sleeve, you almost get the feeling that part of him is really hurting that it's Vaughan and not him getting the plaudits.

And that's not something which will endear Nasser to his captain & the selectors... and yet, you'd have to say, his batting - and particularly the grim obduracy with which he holds on to his wicket - puts him in the XI on merit at the moment.

Anyhow, we shouldn't spend too much time navel-gazing at the moment. We've won a series in the Carribean for the first time since 1968, and we're one win away from a whitewash. And if that's not a reason to celebrate English cricket, then what is?!

biggrin.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 05 2004,12:02)]Blimey.  Anyone else see that coming?  Three cheers for Matt Hoggard as well.  Cadd**k said some pretty uncomplimentary stuff about him last month:

"Hoggard will not play when all England's first-choice bowlers are fit, it's as simple as that."

presumably in order to talk his own game up... Cadd**k has been absent from the Test side through injury for a long time now - and so was presumably dismissing Hoggard in order to talk up his own chances of regaining a Test berth.

That's a possibility which is looking ever more remote now, you'd have to say...

Congrats to Vaughany; and Nasser - cheer up, yer miserable bugger.  He was not smiling too much in Gower's post-match interview, which (in one sense) would suggest some form of alienation from the side, not least because of Vaughan's early successes compared to Nasser.  Indeed, as a man who wears his heart and his pride on his sleeve, you almost get the feeling that part of him is really hurting that it's Vaughan and not him getting the plaudits.

And that's not something which will endear Nasser to his captain & the selectors... and yet, you'd have to say, his batting - and particularly the grim obduracy with which he holds on to his wicket - puts him in the XI on merit at the moment.

Anyhow, we shouldn't spend too much time navel-gazing at the moment.  We've won a series in the Carribean for the first time since 1968, and we're one win away from a whitewash.  And if that's not a reason to celebrate English cricket, then what is?!

biggrin.gif

Matt
Cadd**k will not play for England again, there a 2 or 3 in front of him, Anderson, Kirtley and Johnson.

I think you're being a bit harsh on Nas, Matt. He's never been one for laughing and joking, he plays it tough whichever way it is. I think he may find it difficult just as an age difference between himself, Thorpey and Butch, and the rest of the guys. Nass must be 36 now and most of the other guys are 24-26 and that's a big gap. I know exatcly how he feels because the side I play for and captain is getting that way and I find it more difficult to relate the youngsters.

I think deep down Nas will be pleased that we have progressed as have. There is a very good article in the Telegraph today written by Mark Nicholas, who I think talks a lot of sense, and basically says that if it hadn't been for Nasser shaking it all up about 5 years ago, then we probably wouldn't have had the results of the last 3 weeks.

Still as you say, let's enjoy the moment. Even Mrs BB enjoyed Saturday's play and that says something
tounge.gif

Very chuffed that Kaneria's had such a good Test in Lahore... 2/56 followed by 3/14 in the second innings! Bodes very well for us this summer!

biggrin.gif

Matt

Back