• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Maybe Brown wasnt always the one making the signings? Im sure he will realise he is down south now and not many northerners will want to move here and we should look to non leagues and build or continue links with the likes of Charlton, Millwall, West Ham and Watford.

Everyone is having a go at YB but that record is worrying to say the least. Obviously there wont be that kind (or any kind) of money at Southend but Brown does seem to have a penchant for the 'has been' - just look at that list again for players not just on their 'way down' but 'clapped out'. I can't see that he has unearthed many diamonds in the rough either which basically is a prerequisite for any Southend boss. Ron used to talk about the importance of researching players and managers history and background - has he really done that with Phil Brown?

What terrible signing Dean Windass was. £150,000 for a player who scores a major goal for promotion to the Premier league sounds a bargain.

...but then as YB says. If he doesn't play over 100 games it counts for nothing :headbang:

And he made a mockery of us when we played them at the KC! Longest coach journey home after that game :sad:

I cannot think some people have the best interests of the club in mind. Such negative outlook for a manager who has not even played one game !! Some of you must be those types who's glass is always half empty, not half full. Who love to moan about almost everything.

Sturrock said himself he was going to leave at the end of the season, so keeping him was not an option.

Give the new manager a chance. :smile:

BORING - give the guy a chance let him do his job

Well yes obviously, but this is a discussion board. It certainly would be boring if every thread consisted of: 'Yes, let's just wait and see what happens.' We've just appointed a new manager- if we can't take to the message boards now then when can we?

Your boring now.

BORING - give the guy a chance let him do his job

Trust me, these are the only boring posts on this thread - apart from this one obviously.

I think Yorkie should be giving the man a chance - and I suspect he will as acceptance of the situation kicks in - but I'll repeat what I said the other day, this is a discussion forum. If YB doesn't think it's the right appointment, there's no problem whatsoever in posting that opinion. While yes, we probably should just be getting behind him, do we all really want to be just sheep? Rather than the abuse, why not pick holes in YB's argument?

Edit: Or basically what N'Zamba Legend said about a minute earlier...

Well yes obviously, but this is a discussion board. It certainly would be boring if every thread consisted of: 'Yes, let's just wait and see what happens.' We've just appointed a new manager- if we can't take to the message boards now then when can we?

I cant believe the negativity on here. Give the new manager a chance before you start slagging him off.

In a bid to distract me from the cricket I've had a look at every signing made by Phil Brown

Preston

Ian Ashbee Hull Signed 31 Jan, 2011 22 starts unattached
Jack King Woking Signed 31 May, 2011 26 appearances still at club
Steven Smith Norwich Signed 01 Jun, 2011 9 appearances unattached
Iain Turner Everton Signed 26 Jul, 2011 11 appearances (1 goal! he's a keeper) unattached
Juvhel Tsoumou Alemania Free 01 Aug, 2011 5 appearances unattached
Brian McLean Falkirk Free 02 Aug, 2011 15 appearances signed

Derby

Marc Edworthy Norwich Free 06 Jul, 2005 75 appearances free
Kevin Poole Bolton Free 12 Jul, 2005 6 appearances free
Paul Thirlwell Sheff Utd Signed 05 Aug, 2005 15 appearances free
Seth Johnson Leeds Free 17 Aug, 2005 47 appearances released
Darren Moore West Brom Signed 26 Jan, 2006 71 appearances free
Tomasz Hajto Southampton Free 27 Jan, 2006 5 appearances free

Hull

Nathan Doyle Derby Signed 31 Jan, 2007 3 starts free
Ray Parlour Middlesbro Free 09 Feb, 2007 start the rumours now! 13 starts free
Dean Windass Bradford £150,000 19 Jun, 2007 30 starts free
Bryan Hughes Charlton Free 29 Jun, 2007 27 starts free
Richard Garcia Colchester Free 02 Jul, 2007 84 starts unattached
Wayne Brown Colchester £450,000 13 Jul, 2007 42 appearances free
Henrik Pedersen Bolton Free 13 Aug, 2007 18 starts signed
Caleb Folan Wigan £1,000,000 31 Aug, 2007 29 league starts free
Jay-Jay Okocha Qatar S C Free 02 Sep, 2007 10 starts free
Craig Fagan Derby £750,000 02 Jul, 2008 39 starts signed Bradford
Geovanni Man City Free 05 Jul, 2008 48 starts free
Bernard Mendy Paris St-G. Free 11 Jul, 2008 30 starts signed
Peter Halmosi Plymouth £2,000,000 16 Jul, 2008 made 4 league starts free
George Boateng Middlesbro £1,000,000 16 Jul, 2008 free 47 starts
Tony Warner Fulham Free 16 Jul, 2008 free 0 starts
Anthony Gardner Tottenham £2,500,000 28 Jul, 2008 free 32 starts
Mark Oxley Rotherham £150,000 08 Aug, 2008 still at Hull, 1 sub appearance
Daniel Cousin Rangers Signed 01 Sep, 2008 signed 19 starts
Stylianos Giannakopoulos Bolton Free 23 Sep, 2008 free 0 starts
Jimmy Bullard Fulham £5,000,000 23 Jan, 2009 free 18 starts
Kamil Zayatte Young Boys £2,500,000 23 Jan, 2009 51 league appearances free
Steven Mouyokolo Boulogne Signed 01 Jul, 2009 19 starts signed Wolves
Seyi Olofinjana Stoke £3,000,000 06 Aug, 2009 still at Hull 21 league starts
Stephen Hunt Reading Signed 13 Aug, 2009 27 starts signed Wolves
Kamel Ghilas Celta Vigo £2,000,000 13 Aug, 2009 made 6 league starts signed
Paul McShane Sunderland Signed 30 Aug, 2009 still at Hull played 58 times and loaned out twice
Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink Celtic Free 02 Sep, 2009 17 starts free

39 signings
£20m+ paid in transfer fees
£0 received in transfer fees

Not one signing has played 100 league games for that club

Sean Clohessy has made 130 league starts for Southend, Barker has made 108 league starts for Southend. The most a Phil Brown signing has ever made for that club is 84.

THIS IS ABYSMAL

WHY ARE WE LETTING THIS MAN LOOSE ON OUR CLUB?!?!?!?!?

Give the guy a ****ing chance!! Alex Ferguson 'the greatest to have ever lived' has made shocking signings in the past and spent untold millions doing it, the Veron deal alone cost Utd £80 million in fees & wages, dont you think he should ever be allowed to buy again??????, they aint gonna get it right every time, anyway last time i looked he aint got no money to spend, unless Ron has found his war chest, so lets get behind him & give the club our full support!!

Give the guy a ****ing chance!! Alex Ferguson 'the greatest to have ever lived' has made shocking signings in the past and spent untold millions doing it, the Veron deal alone cost Utd £80 million in fees & wages, dont you think he should ever be allowed to buy again??????, they aint gonna get it right every time, anyway last time i looked he aint got no money to spend, unless Ron has found his war chest, so lets get behind him & give the club our full support!!

There's getting it wrong sometimes, and getting it wrong every time.

YB's stats give worrying credence to my gut feeling that Brown is a poor appointment. Clubs like Southend need a manager to buy low and sell high, and it's worrying Brown has no history of this.

I would absolutely love to be wrong though.

Good to see we are going to give him a fair objective go!
You could actually apply your formula many ways; both positive or negative.
i am happy at the appointment. A lot of decent names there; would be quite happy for a few of them to end up here:winking:

there are 'lies, damn lies and statistics' and I am happy to accept that the stats are missing a lot of relevant detail ( how many games that could theretically have played, were they bought as cover or a first team choice, were they injured etc) HOWEVER I would genuinely like to hear the 'positive slant' you refer to on these stats - as I am struggling to see it.

This does not mean that I think he is a bad appointment , I am open minded and will support whoever is in the role - but to me these stats are worthy of debate and investigation as at first glance , without knowing more detail they look awful. People on here often jump on 'facts' that are simply wrong so I am surprised there is not more debate on the stats , rather than the posters last couple of sentances with his opinion

There's getting it wrong sometimes, and getting it wrong every time.

YB's stats give worrying credence to my gut feeling that Brown is a poor appointment. Clubs like Southend need a manager to buy low and sell high, and it's worrying Brown has no history of this.

I would absolutely love to be wrong though.

He cant have got it wrong EVERY time or Hull wouldnt have got promoted & stayed in the PL in there first season under his guideance, to do that with Hull is an achievement!!

Steve Tilson has relegated EVERY club he has managed but some call him 'our best' & Dave Webb did naff all away from RH, maybe just maybe Phil Brown & Southend might just click together!

He cant have got it wrong EVERY time or Hull wouldnt have got promoted & stayed in the PL in there first season under his guideance, to do that with Hull is an achievement!!

Steve Tilson has relegated EVERY club he has managed but some call him 'our best' & Dave Webb did naff all away from RH, maybe just maybe Phil Brown & Southend might just click together!

What this man said.

Whatever. He is a new man in charge and cannot do any worse than the porevious incumbent who failed over the last two seasons - depite the ridiculous love-in. I'll give him credit for his first season, and, in fact, he is leaving us in no better position than at the equivalent stage of that season. Stagnation is his middle name.

Whatever. He is a new man in charge and cannot do any worse than the porevious incumbent who failed over the last two seasons - depite the ridiculous love-in. I'll give him credit for his first season, and, in fact, he is leaving us in no better position than at the equivalent stage of that season. Stagnation is his middle name.

erm yes he can. he can take us into non-league.

Give the guy a ****ing chance!! Alex Ferguson 'the greatest to have ever lived' has made shocking signings in the past and spent untold millions doing it,

None worse than goalkeeper Massimo Taibi, the Blind Venetian.

A good point. Yorkie, how would you compare Brown's achievement in getting Hull into the Premiership and keeping them there for a year with Tilson's achievement in getting Southend into the Championship before seeing us drop straight back out (albeit with a lot of turmoil in the background)? In terms of our relative ambitions, there must be some similiarities? To counter your longevity debate around Brown's signings, at least where Hull are concerned, is there any argument that says the players he used to get out of the Championship weren't good enough for the Premier League?

Back