• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Tomorrow brings our 122nd match against Exeter with honours largely even thus far.

The man in charge will be Phil Gibbs from Birmingham. He is employed as Deputy Headteacher at a boys' secondary school in Kings Heath.

In his seventh season as a League referee, he has refereed Southend four times before. Most recently the 1-0 defeat at Gillingham two seasons ago; a red for them and a couple of yellows for us (Timlin and Martin).

Prior to that it was the 1-1 draw at Port Vale towards the back end of the season 2010/11. One caution apiece (ours was Comminges). Then the 2-1 home defeat to Cheltenham earlier in the same season and the other was the home game in 2009/10 when we beat Hartlepool 3-2 (from 2-0 down at half time) and one of theirs was sent off. He did pretty well in that game.

He ended last season just after the turn of the year through injury and started this season late - hopefully he is fully fit now! His card count is usually a little below average and this season he has just 12 yellows and one red from 5 matches to his credit. He has been getting his share of Championship matches. Not the quickest around the pitch.

Assisting him will be Alan Dale from Ipswich and David Rock from Hertford who is a qualified coach in a variety of different sports (including football). and one-time paying customer at Roots Hall, Rob Whitton from Chelmsford will be standing by on 4th official duties.

Another excellent report.
I may be wrong , but I think the Hartlepool comeback may have been a Barnard hat trick ?
I was in South Lower as my sons very first game and all 5 goals were scored at the North.......

Four minutes, four f*****g minutes - they were on the floor for the majority of that match once they equalised, several injuries and subs too!!!

Yes, agreed. One poor decision from the ref and one from the West lino, that's about all I have to criticise.
Yes exactly this, thought they let the game run as it should. I liked the way the ref spoke to the players today, he commanded respect and stopped a couple of potential flare ups dead in their tracks, without antagonising the situation with needless bookings.

Best ref we have had all season, in really poor conditions and used his cards sparingly.

Totally agree. Thought he was very good. I was surprised how little time he added on at the end though, not because of Exeter, but because of how long it took to restart due to Bentley's injury...

Yeah agreed, best performance by a ref this seaosn by far.

A quick point, JP stayed on his feet whe clipped by the 'keeper in the second half and then had his shot cleared from the line. If he'd gone down I think the ref would have given the penalty.

Yeah agreed, best performance by a ref this seaosn by far.

A quick point, JP stayed on his feet whe clipped by the 'keeper in the second half and then had his shot cleared from the line. If he'd gone down I think the ref would have given the penalty.

Yep, agree with this, we said exactly the same. There are times when Jack is almost "too" honest.

Just a quick "heads up" as I'm sure Mick will do the honours with a full refwatch in due course, but I see Phil Gibbs will be taking charge on Boxing Day. Seems like a good appointment from his previous performances in our games.

Back