• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Favourite XI

steveh1510

Life President
As it says, what is the best XI that you have seen play in Southend colours.....

Simon Royce

Dean Austin Leon Cort Leo Roget Chris Powell

Paul Byrne Mike Marsh Ronnie Whelan Steve Tilson

Stan Collymore Brett Angell

Subs:
Paul Sansome
Mike Lapper
Nathan Jones
John Nielsen
Ricky Otto

Been a supporter since 1992....

Easy,

Royce
Austin  Clark  Prior   Powell
Ling    Butler  Marsh  Otto
      Collymore  Crown

Subs Sansome, Roget, Tilson, Ansah and Cadette.

Worryingly none of them have played for years....... (apart from a couple of cameos by Tilly).

2nd XI

Sansome
Hails McNally Roget  N. Jones
Ansah Whelan K. Jones Tilson
        Cadette Angell

Subs Stannard, Searle, Newman, Byrne, Benjamin

Royce?

Best XI:

Sammy
Austin
Powell
Prior
Westley
Ansah
Whelan
Butler
Otto
Cadette
Collymore

Subs:

Crown
Clark
K. Jones
Royce
Martin

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Worryingly none of them have played for years....... (apart from a couple of cameos by Tilly).

That's why I went for Cort - misguided loyalty more than anything...:;):
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Royce?

I couldn't split Sammy/Roycie, in the end I went for the one I saw most of...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Feb. 02 2004,10:36)]I couldn't split Sammy/Roycie, in the end I went for the one I saw most of...
Fair enough. It's quite sad, whilst I was spoilt for choice for a second striker, a centre mid and a centre back, we have had some rubbish keepers. Alas, I was just too late for Merv the Swerve.

Agreed, I think if i were picking a best XI post-Royce, I'd risk not playing a goalkeeper and put on another forward!

I found the team picked itself other than right back - I only saw Austin once or twice so was reluctant to include him, but then though, other than Julian Hails, what option was there?

Sansome was the best keeper I ever saw at Roots Hall. Used to pull off some stunning saves week after week......

Never seen anyone since then that was worth singing "England's number 1" to and we used to sing that to Sammy every week. Royce was Broughton-esque by comparison for me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smudger @ Feb. 02 2004,10:49)]Sansome was the best keeper I ever saw at Roots Hall. Used to pull off some stunning saves week after week......

Never seen anyone since then that was worth singing "England's number 1" to and we used to sing that to Sammy every week. Royce was Broughton-esque by comparison for me.
Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's Sammmmmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Oh, indeed. Sammy was a legend, and as much as I admired Roycey, Sammy was the business.

My XI...

Sansome

Austin Prior Scully Powell

Ansah Butler Marsh Otto

Collymore Angell

Subs: Royce, Whelan, Tilson, Roget, K. Jones, Benjamin

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 02 2004,10:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smudger @ Feb. 02 2004,10:49)]Sansome was the best keeper I ever saw at Roots Hall. Used to pull off some stunning saves week after week......

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's Sammmmmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiits Darryl!!

laugh.gif

rock.gif

Had to have a good hard think about this one............

Paul Sansome,

Dean Austin, Pat Scully, Dave Martin, Chris Powell

Andy Ansah, Peter Butler, Steve Tilson, Ricky Otto,

David Crown ,  Tommy Mooney / Andy Thomson

subs: Simon Royce, Stan Collymore, Andy Sussex, John Cornwell, Scott Forbes ( 1st season only )

injured : Mick Bodley, Brett Angell

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Feb. 02 2004,11:17)]Had to have a good hard think about this one............

Paul Sansome,

subs: Simon Royce, Stan Collymore, Andy Sussex, John Cornwell, Scott Forbes ( 1st season only )

injured :  Mick Bodley, Brett Angell
No Collymore? Martin as centre-back? Tilson as centre-mid? Forbes?

Blimey. Controversial.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 02 2004,11:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Feb. 02 2004,11:17)]Had to have a good hard think about this one............

Paul Sansome,

injured :  Mick Bodley, Brett Angell
No Collymore? Martin as centre-back? Tilson as centre-mid? Forbes?

Blimey. Controversial.
I was thinking that too - Thomson ahead of Collymore and Angell? Not even a subs bench place for Mike Marsh or Ronnie Whelan?

And yeah - Scott Forbes??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 02 2004,11:43)]Martin as centre-back? Tilson as centre-mid?

Blimey. Controversial.
Gower as a left/right winger when he is, in fact, a central midfielder ( and won Conference Player of the Year in that position ) ?

Blimey....controversial
wink.gif
wink.gif

Blimey. I agree with Napster that is controversial

I can't believe good journeyman players like Cornwall and Sussex have been included on the bench ahead of Ronnie Whelan, Keith Jones and Mike Marsh.

Collymore on the bench is arguable as he only played 33 games, but to then pick Thommo or Mooney ahead of him is controversial to say the least. I liked both players, but even so IMHO they're way behind Collymore, Crown, Cadette, Angell and Benjamin.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Feb. 02 2004,11:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 02 2004,11:43)]Martin as centre-back? Tilson as centre-mid?

Blimey. Controversial.
Gower as a left/right winger when he is, in fact, a central midfielder ( and won Conference Player of the Year in that position ) ?

Blimey....controversial  
wink.gif

wink.gif
Indeed. But I'm not Steve Wignall.

wink.gif
biggrin.gif

If some of you think you've had to make a tough decision, I've only been supporting the club since Jan 96 and at that time I didn't get to many games.
sad.gif

Oh well, here goes.
tounge.gif

Simon Royce

Julian Hails
Leo Roget
Mike Lapper
Chris Powell

Paul Byrne
Mike Marsh
Mark Tinkler
Steve Tilson

Tes Bramble
Andy Thomson

Subs:

Darryl Flahavan
John Nielsen
Kevin Maher
Leon Cort
Martin Carruthers

I think we should do our 'Worst X1' next.
wink.gif

Blimey, having to defend myself now!

A lot of my choices are down to those players who were around at defining moments in my life and the things I was doing at the time.

alas, I did not see enough of Marsh to include him, and Whelan, although a good player, will always be remembered for his "managerial" spell..............
sad.gif

Back