• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

simac21

Coach
Just been watching The Grimsby Brothers (Sasha Baron Cohen) and see they did a scene at Roots Hall showing North Bank and the West, where the blue voice normally is
Anyone else seen film?

The documentary about the 1966 England World Cup players that was shown on TV earlier this week featured a clip of an interview with Bobby Moore at Roots Hall, too.

I filmed a cup final at Roots Hall a couple of years ago and all the advertising boards had been replaced with local Grimsby ads while the filming was going on.

I I saw the film and I did clock on to what bits where Roots Hall but I think only a Southend fan would notice!

Its true. They had an intern deliver a leaflet to the surrounding houses and buildings at the time to let them know they'd be filming on a sunday. When we asked her what it was for she said the new Sacha Baron Cohen film.

Its true. They had an intern deliver a leaflet to the surrounding houses and buildings at the time to let them know they'd be filming on a sunday. When we asked her what it was for she said the new Sacha Baron Cohen film.

Intern - is that modern speak for Y.T.S.?*

(Youth Training Scheme - an attempt to give young people some work experience in difficult economic times that quickly became ridiculed as a way of getting cheap labour).

His films are hilarious and such easy watches. Some of the things he does have me in stitches

Did he hide his loot here then?
I heard he had stashed something valuable which had apparently caused some controversy during the 1970 World Cup and lead to his arrest. I think it is in a secret vault with Ron's war chest, a signed Frank Lampard snr jersey, Adam Locke's deck chair and Uncle Vic's tax returns

:winking:

(Youth Training Scheme - an attempt to give young people some work experience in difficult economic times that quickly became ridiculed as a way of getting cheap labour).

Yeah, pretty much, except they used to pay the YTS kids something, many interns are unpaid in our brave new world.

Bit like everyone thinks the National Living Wage, aka the Minimum Wage, is £7.20 per hour; not if you're under 25, it's not, and if you are under 19 and apprentice in your first year it is £3.30 per hour. Hence the reason why there are suddenly apprenticeships available for just about everything not just traditional skills.

As somebody who was an apprentice in the 70s earning a pittance that was the norm then. Money was unimportant compared to learning a trade, the rewards came later. That surely must be the same today?

As somebody who was an apprentice in the 70s earning a pittance that was the norm then. Money was unimportant compared to learning a trade, the rewards came later. That surely must be the same today?

No. Some companies use apprentices as cheap labour and kick them out at the end before taking a new one on.

That happened then as well, it's always been the way it works. The person who gets kicked out has the experience and moves on to better things and another one gets trained up. Everybody gains and nobody loses.

That happened then as well, it's always been the way it works. The person who gets kicked out has the experience and moves on to better things and another one gets trained up. Everybody gains and nobody loses.

No it isn't. I was a British Rail apprentice back in the early 90s and I left with good qualifications. Me, and many of my mates who did the same still work in the railway industry some 25 years later. If you enter a apprenticeship then it should be law that the employer is forced to complete their training (unless of course they've done something seriously wrong). To me, a practice like this comes from the same place as putting the young on disgusting zero hour contracts.

Before the YTS it was called the Youth Opportunities Programme. The only reason they changed the name then was because amongst us young school leavers (1981) the ultimate badge of shame was to be a YOP boy.

Back