• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Final Furlong?

palexander

Life President
Just something been on my mind recently - started at Brighton.

With all the talk of strikers coming in (and if we do sign Freedman), is this the end of Furlongs short Blues career?

Signing a 39-yea-old was a gamble, but he really hasnt shown that he still 'has it' like the Goat did and the fact he was left on the bench against Brighton when what would the harm in bringing him on for 15 mins have done when we were chasing the game?

Whaddya reckon?

I dont think it signals the end. However, he is never going to be a player to send on to chase a game with 15 to go, he just is not that kind of player

Its a long season.. Barney and Revell recently have had injuries, its unlikely they will last all season.. Plus who knows what his input is on the training ground as well?

I thought it was very interesting at Millwall when Ademeno went off that it was Furlong that ran over to help get him off the pitch and down the tunnel to the treatment room or dressing room. I tend to think he might be being used as a role model for the youngsters and being involved in helping their development, not to say he won't be used in the first team though.

I thought it was very interesting at Millwall when Ademeno went off that it was Furlong that ran over to help get him off the pitch and down the tunnel to the treatment room or dressing room. I tend to think he might be being used as a role model for the youngsters and being involved in helping their development, not to say he won't be used in the first team though.

I tend to agree with you there. Maybe played the 1st game as we were short of strikers, but will now be used more in a coaching role!

Just something been on my mind recently - started at Brighton.

With all the talk of strikers coming in (and if we do sign Freedman), is this the end of Furlongs short Blues career?

Signing a 39-yea-old was a gamble, but he really hasnt shown that he still 'has it' like the Goat did and the fact he was left on the bench against Brighton when what would the harm in bringing him on for 15 mins have done when we were chasing the game?

Whaddya reckon?

I think people have very short memories and a rose tinted look at the Goat's career here. He was often criticised on here before the final few months of the season, when we were able to give him the send off his career deserved.

With regard to Furlong though, he has been poor when Ive seen him and therefore deserved to be dropped. Is surprising we are now trying to buy other strikers when you consider Barnard, Walker, REvell and Kanu are also about.....I just hope any or some of those dont have worse injury problems then we know about.

I don't think either Laurent or Furlong were signed to be key match players for us this season. One is a gamble, by Tilly's own admission and the other is an experienced head to help guide our youngsters and hopefully chip in with the odd goal here and there.

Tilly wasn't necessarily out looking for a 6th striker, but once he knows there's an opportunity to take on someone with Freedman's quality, he has to go for it... Fingers crossed.

As stated elsewhere, it's a long season. Furlong will have his part to play, and I for one can't wait to see him score his first goal in a blue shirt.

I think people have very short memories and a rose tinted look at the Goat's career here. He was often criticised on here before the final few months of the season, when we were able to give him the send off his career deserved.

With regard to Furlong though, he has been poor when Ive seen him and therefore deserved to be dropped. Is surprising we are now trying to buy other strikers when you consider Barnard, Walker, REvell and Kanu are also about.....I just hope any or some of those dont have worse injury problems then we know about.

I think you can look back at the Goats contribution and have nothing but praise. He played his part in our promotion and looked after Eastwood and the other youngsters.

His goals also helped and he was more often a threat than not.

I'm not knocking Furlong - I'm saying we'll wait till he hangs his boots up and look back on his contribution to the club and I wonder if it will have been the same as the Goats.

I've not been impressed with Furlong pre-season, or the games he has played so far - but in fairness, the supply has been awful, so for that, I'll excuse him thus far!

It's important to remember as well that Freddy was already well into his stride and knocking in goals for fun when Goater came on board, which just isn't the case now. Furlong's looked ok to me when I've seen him, you can see he still has the brain and the legs (for some of the time) to do a job, but as said, the service has been pretty awful.

Back