• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First By Election for Corbyn

MK Shrimper

Striker
With the death of Labour MP Michael Meacher, we will have our first By Election for Corbyn, though it has to be said it's in the Labour heartland. Still, be interesting to see what the majority figure ends up doing.

Meacher won with 54.8% of the vote back in May, and a majority of 14,738. That will probably be slightly eaten in to but as you say, that seat will be staying red.

Meacher won with 54.8% of the vote back in May, and a majority of 14,738. That will probably be slightly eaten in to but as you say, that seat will be staying red.

You've really also got to factor in the change in turnout. I doubt it will be the same as the GE. It might be higher, it might be lower. Is that 54.8% of the people that voted, or 54.8% of the people eligible to vote?

More of a weigh in than a count for Labour. I doubt panic will setting in with the tories on this on this one.

Just checked in the Dead pool thread and it seems entirely acceptable so with that in mind, I am glad that Meecher has kicked the bucket and hope he stubbed his toe on the way out. If anyone wants to take offence then reference the post concerning recently demised tories.

With the death of Labour MP Michael Meacher, we will have our first By Election for Corbyn, though it has to be said it's in the Labour heartland. Still, be interesting to see what the majority figure ends up doing.

The interest won't be in what the majority ends up, but which monkey in a red rosette is picked.

Does David Milliband attempt an international rescue?
Will Owen Jones try and carpetbag a safe seat?
Might Ken Livingstone attempt to return to the Labour fray?
Could we see a return for someone like Ed Balls?
Will it be a union puppet?

My guess is that they go for someone fairly local and left wing but will be a fascinating selection process.

Does anyone happen to know which one of his many houses this well-known Labour figure died in?

The interest won't be in what the majority ends up, but which monkey in a red rosette is picked.

Does David Milliband attempt an international rescue?
Will Owen Jones try and carpetbag a safe seat?
Might Ken Livingstone attempt to return to the Labour fray?
Could we see a return for someone like Ed Balls?
Will it be a union puppet?

My guess is that they go for someone fairly local and left wing but will be a fascinating selection process.

Could be Nigel Farage, he will do anything to get an MPs seat and hold on to be a leader of a party

UTS

Could be Nigel Farage, he will do anything to get an MPs seat and hold on to be a leader of a party

UTS

This should of course be a nailed on seat for Labour, the neighbouring seat however is Heywood and Middleton where Labour narrowly beat UKIP.

Should Labour be concerned... I doubt it, with a Large Asian population and Ukip presumably pre occupied with the referendum on Europe can't see any real change....the indications are that a local candidate will be selected for UKIP.

What could be interesting is the strength of the Labour vote as they react to a change of leadership and direction.

This should of course be a nailed on seat for Labour, the neighbouring seat however is Heywood and Middleton where Labour narrowly beat UKIP.

Should Labour be concerned... I doubt it, with a Large Asian population and Ukip presumably pre occupied with the referendum on Europe can't see any real change....the indications are that a local candidate will be selected for UKIP.

What could be interesting is the strength of the Labour vote as they react to a change of leadership and direction.

% turn out will low, allways is a by election, so all sides will find victory if a low turn out

UTS

Back