• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We were lucky to get a point. Fleetwood really should been two up just after to half time. We looked much better after the subs were brought on. Good goal from Worrall though.

Last edited:
Just seen the highlights. That is some goal from Worrall. It's gonna take some beating for Goal of the Season, and it's only the first match.

Do hope that Brown is not going to do his favoritism thing again this season with regard to Hurst. No way imo was he deserving of selection judging by last seasons and the friendly's performances.

I wonder whether is was to keep the 4-4-2 with the wide players playing a bit more centrally...and more defensively, away from home ? Hence Hurst and Atkinson, instead of Worrall and Weston. We have a few midweek games coming up, so he may rotate the squad to keep everyone match kit.

Though we were by far the better side in the first half, and one great save by Bentley aside, the goal came against the run of play and what a strike though. Weston played well and was a real handful but no end product all round as we put some nice moves together but lacked the killer touch.

We started the second half well too before they broke away and could have put the game beyond reach, we then lost our shape for about 20 minutes and territorially Fleetwood were on top for the first time in the game. We stuck at it though and came back at them in the last quarter and after a few chances it was great to see us equalise just when I was thinking it wasn't going to be our day. Good result and we have a team to be proud of.

600 miles driven, gorgeous day, cod and chips, seeing the blues , and a walk up the north pier in Blackpool ,was it worth it ? Absolutely !

A well deserved point in a game I thought the goal would never come. Couldn't understand the starting line up. Worrall and Timlin especially finding themselves on the bench. Apart from Fleetwoods wonder goal and a shot off the bar we dominated the majority of the game. Wordsworth looked classy, Weston had a decent game, and the rest did ok. Hurst and Atkinson showed effort, but just didn't get into the game, bar a 25yard effort from Hurst shortly before he was withdrawn. The substitutes improved us, Worrall and Pigott looking dangerous. Hunt making a few dangerous runs. When the. Worrall goal came, a fantastic finish from the left side of the area, we were well on top and deserved it. We backed off after and settled for the point which was understandable. Only criticism s today was the performance of White, who was caught out several times in the first half. Bolger also looked shaky at times and gave the ball away far too easily. Plus Mooney was anonymous. Got to be happy with an opening day draw though. Bentley 7, White 5, Bolger 6, Barrett 7, Coker 7, Atkinson 6, Wordsworth 7, Leonard 7, Weston 7, Hurst 6, Mooney 5. Substitutes Worrall 8 Motm, Piggot 7, Hunt 7
Agree with most of this apart from White who I thought redeemed himself with a couple of excellent crosses and Wordsworth who had a very average game. We were more than a match for a strong L1 side who we reduced to spoiling tactics towards the end.

Agree with most of this apart from White who I thought redeemed himself with a couple of excellent crosses and Wordsworth who had a very average game. We were more than a match for a strong L1 side who we reduced to spoiling tactics towards the end.

He did put a few crosses in, but at times when no players were in the box. When Coker was in similar positions on the left side, he checked inside and played to the edge of the D, to Wordworth or Leonard to allow players to get into the box. He was given a tough time by Fleetwoods left winger in the first half especially and definitely needs to improve on that performance.

Fair enough mate, was a bit ****ed when I wrote that. I've seen their capacity is 5.3k which I was surprised at, thought it was more.

They're still very new to the League as well and are in the ongoing process of building a bigger fanbase. Still find it odd looking at the table and seeing their name and think Who? Remarkable story though for them to get to where they are, seem to be run the right way too. Oh and good point in the bag yesterday. Onwards to Walsall! U T B

if bankrolling a club with a small fanbase and little income from non league obscurity to the 3rd tier is being run the right way, then yes.

Do hope that Brown is not going to do his favoritism thing again this season with regard to Hurst. No way imo was he deserving of selection judging by last seasons and the friendly's performances.

Love it when people bring up favouritism.

I do agree that Id rather Worrall ahead of Hurst, but Hurst played far less than Worrall last season so hardly a 'favourite'.

I do agree that Id rather Worrall ahead of Hurst, but Hurst played far less than Worrall last season so hardly a 'favourite'.

Exactly.
I would go as far as saying that he has no favourites and I liked the way last season Brown largely stuck with the guys in the side and others had to force their way in despite the fans wishes - Barratt being a prime example.
We will never all agree with team selections but in confident the Manager goes with the one he feels equipped to win a particular game.

If he was better than that he wouldn't be in league 1.

No matter the division, there should be some end product. Weston's approach play yesterday was good (and he won plenty of ball as well) ........ but we never really looked like we were going to score for long periods of the game.

I'm not saying it is wrong to have Weston in the team but I do think the overall balance of the team wasn't right ....... I don't know why that was the case ......... and that is what Brown is paid to remedy.

No matter the division, there should be some end product. Weston's approach play yesterday was good (and he won plenty of ball as well) ........ but we never really looked like we were going to score for long periods of the game.

I'm not saying it is wrong to have Weston in the team but I do think the overall balance of the team wasn't right ....... I don't know why that was the case ......... and that is what Brown is paid to remedy.

And he will, no doubt. Until we are a few matches in the players aren't going to show exactly who's up for it this season, and we have yet to get other new boys in the mix. I just hope we continue to pick up points whilst gelling is occurring.

After watching yesterdays match, it is clear that we still lack a goal threat, even with the new additions. Mooney had one good chance in the first half, but in general he was quite disappointing. I was surprised to see him get out-muscled too often and too easily, he needs to be stronger. I did expect a bit more from him, but maybe that will come as the season progresses. Weston up front always looks dangerous, but he never really looks like he is going to score. Hunt came on and looks very decent, has some nice touches and could prove to be a very useful signing. You can tell he has played a higher level. Piggott came on and was very eager, looked good and caused problems.

What we really need though is a striker like Izale Mcleod. I know he probably won't come here, but yesterday if he'd been playing, or someone of a similar style up front with Mooney, Hunt or Piggott, with Weston and Worrall playing on the wings, it would have caused Fleetwood's defence all sorts of problems.

After watching yesterdays match, it is clear that we still lack a goal threat, even with the new additions. Mooney had one good chance in the first half, but in general he was quite disappointing. I was surprised to see him get out-muscled too often and too easily, he needs to be stronger. I did expect a bit more from him, but maybe that will come as the season progresses. Weston up front always looks dangerous, but he never really looks like he is going to score. Hunt came on and looks very decent, has some nice touches and could prove to be a very useful signing. You can tell he has played a higher level. Piggott came on and was very eager, looked good and caused problems.

I agree with much of the above ............. but at the risk of stating the obvious, we can only have 11 players on the pitch.

And by having Weston on the pitch (and four other midfielders) we can manage the midfield and move up to the opposition box quite nicely but then we don't have 2 out and out strikers to receive the crosses or get the other side of the defence. Take away Weston and we then have 2 strikers to aim for but one less player as an outlet from midfield and end up with a more direct style of play.

A real Catch 23 situation.

Look, Hurst over Worrall was a mistake, i think most might agree with that, but to compound that with Weston up front, after we had tract the Pig to bring him to this club, only to leave him on the bench, while we play a winger up top, for me was a mistake.

Look, Hurst over Worrall was a mistake, i think most might agree with that, but to compound that with Weston up front, after we had tract the Pig to bring him to this club, only to leave him on the bench, while we play a winger up top, for me was a mistake.

Indeed, but thats nothing to do with "favouritism". Id have played Worrall instead of Hurst and Timlin instead of Atkinson, but I get the Weston decision even if I prefer him out wide. With Pigott only rejoining the day before and Hunt not fit I do see why he did it.I doubt he will feature up top again.

Even if Weston was a mistake he seems to have had a good game according to Chris Phillips.

Indeed, but thats nothing to do with "favouritism". Id have played Worrall instead of Hurst and Timlin instead of Atkinson, but I get the Weston decision even if I prefer him out wide. With Pigott only rejoining the day before and Hunt not fit I do see why he did it.I doubt he will feature up top again.

Even if Weston was a mistake he seems to have had a good game according to Chris Phillips.
I do uderstand where your coming from about favouritism, that has no legs at all, but PB for me has to stop picking these weird formations. Atkinson. over timlin, Weston over the Pig, and even more bizzare Hurst over wozza.

Back