• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Football Manager 24

I'm now approaching the January transfer window in season 3 and am sitting top of League 1. So far we have won 18, drawn 2 and lost 2. A bit change this season is that we seem to be scoring late winners as opposed to my usual habit of conceding late to throw points away.

With so many cup games going on there are a few teams with games in hand on us and we also have games in hand on others so until that all evens out I won't know where we truly sit but either way we are at the right end of the table for now.

In the cup competitions we made it through to the quarter finals of the Carabao Cup losing 1-0 to Man Utd at Old Trafford which gave us a nice cash injection from the gate receipts. We are through to the second knockout round of the Bristol St Motors Cup, this is probably the one cup competition where we have some chance of winning some silverware although that depends on how strong the Prem U21 team is we eventually end up playing later in the competition. In the FA Cup we are into the second round.

As the team gets better I'm finding the turnover of players to be increasing. Players who were important players last season have found the step up a division a step too far and have needed to be shipped out either permanently or on loan as better players are brought in in their place.

This upcoming transfer window will be an interesting one as I am hoping to move 3 or 4 players on and have some replacements incoming. One player has already agreed to a transfer once the window opens and with some luck the others on the transfer list will be on their way too.

I have been using a few of the new features to get players out of the club. Early days in the National League I didn't find the intermediaries much use. They almost always came back with "there is no interest" as a response but as the club has moved up the leagues this has changed a bit. The Transfer Room option, to me, is a rebadging of "offer to clubs" but without the direct response. The one feature that I have found works well if there is interest in a player is getting their agent to find a move for their client. Generally, if there is interest, the move happens quite quickly and the offers are not low balls. I've sold a few players this way.

I'm still having the headache of a group of players complaining about a lack of quickness training. The solution, I read somewhere, was to give those players quickness training as additional training. This works for a few days until the complain about all the extra training they are doing. So, I switch back and forth endlessly between adding and removing additional quickness training. This is probably the only real annoyance for me so far in FM24.
whenever I've had that I just ignore it. they never do anything

Season 3 is done, we managed to hold off Peterborough to win the League 1 title and promotion to the Championship.

I was looking forward to a decent budget to work with to improve the team for the step up but it wasn't to be. That didn't stop all my key players demanding new contracts as soon as promotion was confirmed and they all wanted massive pay rises.

I wanted to keep the best players so offered new contracts without really looking at the wage budget, or more importantly, the FFP requirements. As I had a decent amount of cash in the transfer budget I assumed I could adjust the budget once everything was sorted but I was wrong. FFP was in the red and I was looking at another embargo on the horizon.

Luckily, the FFP for the Championship is not really an issue so I could then adjust the budget but was still struggling with the wage budget. I got it down to 9K in the red with a couple of player sales only to be hit with the contractual wage rises for promotion etc. sending my wage budget into turmoil again.

I tried selling my highest earner, a good player but probably not going to be anything special in the Championship and I was desperate to get the wage costs down. Aberdeen came in with a 7 million offer and I bit their hand off, sadly, the player decided he loved Southend so much he wanted to stay.

As it stands, I'm still in the poo with the wage budget and am trying to offload players the whittle it down as much as I can. Hopefully I can sell a couple of squad players and generate enough cash to adjust the budget again.

So, it looks like the transfer window is going to be a quiet one and this means we are probably going to struggle to make the step up. I'll be happy to stay up this season and go from there.

My fourth season and just secured promotion to L1 at the first attempt. Done it with 5 games to spare, so hoping to secure the championship. Will be a large overhaul for next season in L1. Still got over £1m in the bank. transfer budget for next season has trebled to £345k and wage budet up from £49k to £73k which gives me a fighting chance to strengthen and bring a few better players into the squad.

Onwards and upwards!

1706833867561.png

28 games into season 4, time for another update.

The financial crisis I mentioned in my last post was resolved. I sold 3 players and got enough cash in (~6 million) to adjust the budget and get the wages back on budget. This also allowed me to make a few signings to strengthen the squad for the step up to the Championship over the summer break. Ok, an understatement, I signed 10 new players all but 2 on free transfers and brought 2 players in on loans which cost almost nothing.

The two players I paid a fee for were Lewis Macari, a CB/RB from Stoke (750K) and Camiel Neghli, a midfielder from Sparta Rotterdam (650K). The rest of the free transfers were players that will make a tidy profit when bigger clubs inevitably circle once the establish themselves in the team. The two loanees are Louis Jackson, a CB from Man Utd and Edson Fonseca, a striker from PEC Zwolle.

I moved on 5 players in the same window on top of 7 or 8 senior players not being offered a new contract and leaving the club.

On the field, we are doing really well. 28 games in and we are 7 points clear at the top of the Championship with 18 wins, 8 draws and 2 losses. We were knocked out of the Carabao Cup in the 4th Round by Tottenham losing 2-1 at home and have just moved into the 4th Round of the FA Cup after knocking out West Ham, we drew the first game 1-1 away then smashed them 3-1 in the replay at the Hall.

The 19,240 seater new stadium (Steve Tilson Stadium) is less than 18 months away and will hopefully allow us to make a bit more money with the increased capacity and better facilities. At the moment we are losing money, largely to pay off the loan to build the new stadium.

Still on FM23.

Season 1: Lost the play off final
Season 2: Won the league with record points
Season 3: Won the league 2 play off final
Season 4: Building for League 1.

Just been threatened with administration so trying to get the right players in before it happens. Got some decent loans in and Chelsea have just become a senior affiliate in pre-season.

The season is 30/31 and Southend United have just beaten Marseille in the away leg 3-1 of their Conference League qualifier, this came after winning AET against Luton (2-1) in the Carabao Cup final the previous season.

Having trouble scoring goals but currently developing some wonderkids that have been sourced from all parts of the globe. Maher, Currie and Bentley all part of my coaching staff with Flahavan and Revell added too.

The year we won the Championship (27/28) we moved from Roots Hall to the 9,300 capacity stadium, Steve Tilson Park. But we are yet to play a match there with Stadium Expansions being granted and now the stadium looking to hold in excess of 14,000 we have been sharing Spurs' stadium in the interim.

Finding Ivory Coast a fantastic place for winder kids and they are willing to sign for Championship clubs.

Can provide further updates if anyone is interested?

My latest from season 27/28, my 5th, at around the halfway mark of my first season in L1.

A new stadium, 12,086 capacity, is underway and if all goes well should move in in 2029.

Been a bit up and down. Brought in 8 frees and 1 loan, and let 4 go out on loan, and sold a 'keeper Ashby-Hammond for £175k, so a nice profit. However I have to reduce the wage bill in the second half of the season as £3k over my £79k pw wage budget.

I do have £90k left in the transfer budget, but already £78k in the red, so hoping not to have to draw on that. Obviously hoping to maintain the gap between the relegation zone, with an outside chance of the play offs.

1707437277595.png

On FM24

Holidayed a year and saw Southend got relegated so took over

2024-25: 2nd - Lost in VNS Play-offs
2025-26: 1st - Won VNS
2026-27: 4th in VNL - Lost in play-offs
2027-28: 4th in VNL - Lost in Play-off Final (93rd Minute)
2028-29: Currently 1st on Jan 1st 2029
Won the league in 2028-2029 so now playing in League Two. Gus Scott-Morriss the only remaining original there, will try and keep him long enough for a testimonial. Signed a 35-Year Old Dan Bentley as back-up, he's retiring here. My squad so far;

20240210225414_1.jpg

Finished 10th, where I was at the half way mark in L1 season 27.28. Play offs remained tantellisingly out of reach and eventually missed by 4 points. However, my biggest challebge this season was finances. I finished on a wage spend of £80, 656 against a budget of £79,313 and £1m in the red. I have players not good enough and coming to the end of contract, and next years spend is currently £5k against next seasons budget of £66k, so season 28/29 is going to be a struggle for sure. I have some end of year prize money to come and hopefully some increased sponsorship, which will help. I've just got a new 3-year contract so interesting times ahead........

1707781352702.png

10 games in, we've clawed back 13 points to take the defecit to plus 3, so some way off to get out the relegation zone. Embargo still on, and the club has just begun takeover talks.

Team playing well at home smashing 4 past Maidenhead and 6 past Kidderminster, with some narrow last minute defeats away.

Cardwell leads the way with 7 goals, Mooney 4 and Bridge 3.

Coker and Fonguck have 3 assists each.

Long way to go!

20240225_164625.jpg

1709156274880.png

It's season 28/29 and after finishing 10th last season, it seems to be OK oh and Borient and Col U both in the relegation zone and played off the park makes it better.

However, off the pitch it's not so rosy. I'm a £1m in the red and the new ground is a season away. The quandary is approaching the transfer window, will I be able to raise funds by selling the players I want to sell, or will one of my star performers be subject to an offer I can't refuse and upset the momentum.

I've played the loan market and have 3 20 to 24 year olds on loan from championship clubs, 2 CBs and an attacking midfielder.

There is £126k left in the transfer kitty, but my wage budget is up to the hilt of £82k, it's going to be an interesting ride.

Well it's all over, finished 17th in 28/29 in L1.

Total overhaul of the team to get back into the black and started 30/31 with three wins and a draw, but after 6 straight defeats it was the old tin tack.

Strange thing, walked almost straight into a job at Stoke 22nd in the Championship. After 6 games up to 16th, their finances are appalling and before the end of December I have to raise £7m, so it's off to the transfer market......

Back