• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

France set to ban the burqa

But what if the women choose to wear one? What if they chose to be different to this:
<pic link>

I just don't think we have a right to say what people can or cannot wear on the streets, in their homes etc - it's different at work when H&S, uniforms etc

Its good to see a Country making their own decisions and sticking with them.

it seems to want to promote womens rights... by restricting them! I think burqas are debasing and in some ways agree with Sarkozy's comments (but I'm sure he just likes a bit of 'asian persuasion' and wants to see some skin!) but by banning them you're restricting half the population from what they can wear.

Personally I don't like them and I agree in some ways that it's a form of oppression, though Sarzoky is heading for another summer of riots I think.

The human face has evolved as a signalling device and if you obscure it you are viewed with suspicion and mistrust.

I can fully understand how these poor women must feel following an unpleasant incident last year when I tried to open a building society account for my son whilst wearing a balaclava and carrying a cheap sports holdall.

Last edited:
If they are the laws of the land, people need to abide by them. Go to an Arab state and there are plenty of laws about not showing off skin for women etc. If you don't abide by them, heaven help you.

Go to an Arab state and there are plenty of laws about not showing off skin for women etc. If you don't abide by them, heaven help you.

true, and that is oppressing women.. exactly what Sarkozy is planning to do in the name of freedom for women, it strikes me that he has either not thought it through properly or is using the oppressiveness card as a way of banning the burka because he doesn't like it.

Personally I feel that as there is (apparently) no reference to the burqa and dress codes in the Qu'ran, then enforcement is solely an oppressive ploy by the Mosque , The only way I can see that being effectively changed without further allienation of the "interfering west" would be from within and that may take more than the French banning an item of clothing

Tricky ..the Burkha is anti women lets 'face' it,.. how many young women these days would choose to wear that? Especially in Fance in the summer.. Sarkozy is happy to tread on a few toes..He realises Muslim women will be stuck with this as they are unlikely to get rid of it alone.. Thus he is either sticking up for them or sticking his nose in.. I think his descison is based upon decent ideals though, and I think the Muslim/hard core relgious world is in for a tough time soon as the Youth and especially young women decide they have had enough..

I think Muslim single men across France will be applauding the decison.

Picture the scene, your a Muslim red blooded in a crowded night club, bopping away to reach for the stars whilst knocking back a bottle or two of corona when you decided to hit on the local crumpet.

However you suddenley realise that you cant infact see any of there faces. Its like buying a pig in a poke (Excuse the pun). You could end up with a right old pig and you would never know until your married. I applaud the French on this bad boy.

A right old 'pig' would get you in all sorts of trouble down the local mosque!!!!

As everyone knows, as soon as a government ban's something then it becomes fashionable & desirable and would predict that Burqa's will become the fashion accessory of 2009-10 in France.

So if you want to make a packet while on your hols in france smuggle in some burqa's! [note: to make even more try getting some day-glo ones, they're bound to go down well on the club scene]

This one is a moral maze. I heard one muslim woman on radio 4 defending her right to wear the burqa because she didn't want the responsibility of stopping men from lusting after her. I thought that was a rather pretentious arguement, assuming that she was so beautiful and men were so weak, that she had to cover herself up.

I does, on the face of it, appear to be a way of oppressing woman, but we need a burqa wearing woman's view.

I once went to North East Turkey, which is very muslim, even the men were expected to cover up to a certain degree. No shorts, long sleeve shirts if possible.

As everyone knows, as soon as a government ban's something then it becomes fashionable & desirable and would predict that Burqa's will become the fashion accessory of 2009-10 in France.

So if you want to make a packet while on your hols in france smuggle in some burqa's! [note: to make even more try getting some day-glo ones, they're bound to go down well on the club scene]

nu-raef?

(terrible):'(

This one is a moral maze. I heard one muslim woman on radio 4 defending her right to wear the burqa because she didn't want the responsibility of stopping men from lusting after her. I thought that was a rather pretentious arguement, assuming that she was so beautiful and men were so weak, that she had to cover herself up.

I does, on the face of it, appear to be a way of oppressing woman, but we need a burqa wearing woman's view.

I once went to North East Turkey, which is very muslim, even the men were expected to cover up to a certain degree. No shorts, long sleeve shirts if possible.

Well its kind of like the nuns and their wimples both relgioons believe that people can (or men here) not take responisbilty for their carnal lusts , so any help would do (yes debasing woman and using it as a form of control for both was propably the intent of both) However it is an idividuals choice , and most young muslim women i know love their hair scarfs , as it saves against the dreaded bad hair ;)

Back