• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Freddy appeal dismissed

Returning to the earlier thread, I would be very disappointed if Freddy was to leave. He is by no means the finished article, but a very good youngster who is learning all the time. 24 goals last year speak volumes, but scoring in League 1 will not come so easy. However I believe he has enough talent to develop. How refreshing it was after the Forrest interest to hear him say that he would be playing at the city ground this season, but in a blue shirt.

Keep your chin up Freddy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ Aug. 24 2005,18:29)]
tounge.gif

No offence meant - it's just that that "I know something but I'm not gonna say" stuff really gets my Shaun Goater.
Lucky I dont post much these days then.

Hahaha

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Aug. 24 2005,14:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimptastic @ Aug. 24 2005,13:59)]fitfyone hits the jackpot !
Indeed he does.  Both of these stories are in today's Echo, and are taken from www.thisisessex.com, with emphasis added to certain words which I doubt have been used accidentally...

<span style='color:blue'>No regrets as FA up Fred ban
by Chris Phillips

SOUTHEND United chairman Ron Martin does not regret his decision to appeal over Freddy Eastwood's sending off againgst Huddersfield Town - despite the FA consequently lengthening the striker's suspension to four matches.

Martin protested against the decision to dismiss Eastwood for pushing out at Terriers defender Andy Holdsworth last weekend, partially to enable the forward to figure in Monday's Carling Cup tie with Southampton.

But the FA commission were of the opinion that the claim was 'frivolous' and decided, for the first time ever, to increase a ban for that reason.

"It's disappointing news but I don't regret making the appeal because in my eyes it wasn't a sending off," said Martin.</span>

Knowing a little about journalism (since my missus is a journo), I know that journalists are extremely careful about direct quotes - Chris Phillips will have taken a verbatim manuscript note of that quote from Ron.  The phrase "I don't regret making the appeal" is very noteworthy indeed.

In the second article on thisisessex (entitled Eastwood to misss next four games) I noted the following:

<span style='color:blue'>"Eastwood's three-match suspension was duo to start with last night's Carling Cup first round fixture with Southampton, which the Blues lost 3-0.

But the club's appeal to the FA left the striker free to play, although Southend manager Steve Tilson opted to start last season's top scorer on the bench. Eastwood was later brought on as a substitute.

Both the player and manager considered the red card was justified under the laws of the game.

But the club appealed
on the basis that the card was unjust because it carried the same punishment as a player punching or stamping on an opponent."</span>

There's been a clear difference of opinion here; and Tilly appears to have benched Freddy against the Saints in order to show Ron who's in charge of football matters.

Looks like we've all ended up losers here - Tilly, Freddy, Ron and the club (and the fans, being denied Freddy's goalscoring exploits).  I hope - but alas do not expect - that Ron will take this as a lesson to be learnt, namely not to meddle in team affairs.

sad.gif

I also hope it hasn't caused any rancour beyween Tilly & Ron.  I'm sure it won't have done - they're both big enough to put this behind them and move on from here.  But no question - it has been an entirely regrettable episode.

down.gif

Matt
This seems to answer all the speculation.

RM, of course, was wrong to appeal but Tilly has also been out of order. The team / club must come first and it looks from this as though he has not picked his best striker to make a point to his chairman. This is a political, not footballing decision, and Tilly has to take a share of the blame for this fiasco which has made the whole club look ridiculous!!

SS

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This seems to answer all the speculation.

RM, of course, was wrong to appeal but Tilly has also been out of order. The team / club must come first and it looks from this as though he has not picked his best striker to make a point to his chairman. This is a political, not footballing decision, and Tilly has to take a share of the blame for this fiasco which has made the whole club look ridiculous&#33;&#33;

SS

Sorry - I&#39;ve missed something. Where has it been confirmed that Tilly benched Eastwood to prove a point to Ron Martin?

Could it be that Eastwood was simply dropped by Tilson, either because his form has been poor this season, or because he let the side down by getting sent off?

Surely that&#39;s the most likely scenario?

And let&#39;s consider Tilly might have wanted to start with Wayne and The Goat because that will be his starting line-up for at least the next 2 or 3 games. They haven&#39;t played together as a pair yet.
As people have already stated on here, it was only a league cup game after all.

or it could of been a tactical decsion aswell? get the goat on to ruffle a feathers amoungst their defence in order for gray to use his pace. It could of been a lot of things - i am sure that Tilly would not of benched Freddy in order to make a point to Ron. That would of been immature - something I do not associate with Tilly or any of the Southend gang.

Official statement published today says club do not regret appeal.

Someone is lying or stupid. He could have ended his suspension in 3 days time ... now he wont play again for 3 weeks.

There is something else behind all of this: Freddy TV exposure and Ron looking to sell to a high bidder.........?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MK Shrimper @ Aug. 26 2005,12:16)]There is something else behind all of this: Freddy TV exposure and Ron looking to sell to a high bidder.........?
I really don&#39;t think so although admittedly it&#39;s kept his name in the papers &#33;

I think it was simply an error of judgement by someone used to getting his own way.

I think so too - someone got a little swept away by the succession of recent and well-publicised appeals which were fruitful.

I also think today&#39;s statement is aimed more at the FA than the fans. While the club might not regret the appeal, they&#39;ll certainly be regretting the decision.

Time for everyone to accept that a mistake was made and move on&#33;

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ Aug. 26 2005,12:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MK Shrimper @ Aug. 26 2005,12:16)]There is something else behind all of this: Freddy TV exposure and Ron looking to sell to a high bidder.........?
I really don&#39;t think so although admittedly it&#39;s kept his name in the papers &#33;
I don&#39;t think so, either. Why would Ron think that simply by having Freddy play on TV, he would manage to make a big sale within the following eight days (until the transfer deadline), particularly when:

1) Freddy has not set League 1 alight -yet&#33;&#33;

2) Ron would know that selling a star striker at this late stage without much time to find a replacement when we are already short of a couple of players would severely damage the team&#39;s chance of success this season.

3) Ron knows that Tilly doesn&#39;t want to lose Freddy and Freddy doesn&#39;t want to leave.

4) Everyone knows about Freddy from his exploits last season, so having him play in a difficult game against superior opposition is hardly likely to make a manager suddenly sit up and take notice&#33;&#33;

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scamps @ Aug. 26 2005,14:19)]I think this is a bit unfair, Atson villa appeal against solano getting sent off in mid week but the F.A. have rejected their appeal and will serve a 3 match ban, now where is the extra game ban like eastwood got?
rock.gif
?

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.as....ll_home
Their manager didn&#39;t come out saying that he deserved to get sent off.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scamps @ Aug. 26 2005,14:19)]I think this is a bit unfair, Atson villa appeal against solano getting sent off in mid week but the F.A. have rejected their appeal and will serve a 3 match ban, now where is the extra game ban like eastwood got?
rock.gif
?

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.as....ll_home
Both Solano (elbow) and Howard (spitting) had appeals thrown out without the extra game being added.

It is really all about the suspicion that the appeal was simply to enable him to play against a Southampton XI. Probably compounded by player and manager&#39;s guilty pleas&#33;

One thing is certain about the whole Freddy issue. This thread is getting really, really dull....

Back