• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Freddy snubs Forest

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Megson is planning a £500,000 scoop but Freddy isn't interested in going as they are in the same division as us. If he goes it will be to a higher league but again he has re-iterated he doesn't want to go anywhere.

Echo.

Had that been from ORM i would have laughed but seeing as its you fbm, im going to believe you. Any quotes or another slow news day at the Echo?

Funnily enough, that's something that has just started circulating on rivals.net, and I reckoned that 500K would be the asking price.

Fair play to Freddy for sticking around. Irrespective of whether we like it not, despite being in the same division as us, not even the most one-eyed Shrimper would claim that current league position aside, we are in any way comparable to Forest...

rock.gif

Well played Freddy. I'd be inclinded to want a little more than £500K though, considering some of the money will be going to Grays.

Looks like a potential bidding war is about to start.

If this is true and Forest are prepared to bid £500k, I can see others jumping on the bandwagon. Then, unfortunately, it will only be a matter of time before we get an offer we can't refuse from a Championship outfit. Ho hum.
sad.gif

If a bidding war sarting at £500k kicks off I wont be too disappointed...

Firstly, welcome to Roots Hall Grant Holt
cool.gif

Secondly welcome you new wingers and left back
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpersarmy @ June 08 2005,13:14)]If 500k has been rejected then at least Brighton stand no chance with their 250 k
Good maths Junior ...

wink.gif

Granted Fredy had a great season, but do you really think any Championship side will take a £500k+ punt on a player who has had just about one season of League Two footy?

I for one don't.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MarkBentleyAppreciationSociety @ June 08 2005,13:23)]Granted Fredy had a great season, but do you really think any Championship side will take a £500k+ punt on a player who has had just about one season of League Two footy?

I for one don't.
If a League One side (Forest) are prepared to, why not a Championship side?

Jon Stead went from Div Three to the Prem, Everton have also just signed goalkeeper John Ruddy from Cambridge even though they got relegated to the Conference with him!

I would be amazed if a team like Forest(who i've heard are hugely in debt) had anywhere near 500k to blow on a player.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MarkBentleyAppreciationSociety @ June 08 2005,13:23)]Granted Fredy had a great season, but do you really think any Championship side will take a £500k+ punt on a player who has had just about one season of League Two footy?

I for one don't.
They might prefer that to a £1M+ punt on a player who's just had a great season in League 1, or worse still seeing him snapped up by a rival.

There are some players who have one great season in League 2 because they are good at being in the right place for the ball to bounce in off their @rse (Graeme Jones, Parkin etc.), but Fredy clearly has the technique to play at a higher level. You could say that Trundle is unproven above League 2 standard, but I don't think anyone would question his ability to play at a higher level.

From a Nottingham rag (with thanks to Bob Sills):

Gary Megson has targeted Southend's Freddy Eastwood as the man to fire
Nottingham Forest back into the Championship.

The striker tops Megson's list of potential targets after scoring 24
goals
to help the Shrimpers to promotion into League One last season.

Southend value the 21-year-old at £750,000, but Forest are unlikely to
want
to shell out that much for a player with limited experience.

Megson could face stiff competition for the striker, with Brighton
thought
to be among those also chasing his signature.

Eastwood started the season at non-league Grays Athletic, but after
scoring
a hat-trick on his debut during an initial one-month loan spell,
Southend
made the move permanent.

Eastwood scored one of the decisive goals in the Shrimpers' 2-0
extra-time
win over Lincoln City in the play-off final last month.

He this week admitted how he might have to leave the club if Southend
wished
to cash in on any big offers. "I'm very happy at Southend," he said. "I
love
it here and would be very happy to stay, but it might not be down to
me.

"If a team came in with a big offer that the club couldn't refuse then
I
would have to go.

"That's football at the end of the day."

If he does sign, Forest will be hoping Eastwood has the same impact as
Stan
Collymore, who made the move north from Roots Hall for £2m in July 1993
and
went on to score 41 goals in 64 League starts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ June 08 2005,13:30)]From a Nottingham rag (with thanks to Bob Sills):

Gary Megson has targeted Southend's Freddy Eastwood as the man to fire
Nottingham Forest back into the Championship.

The striker tops Megson's list of potential targets after scoring 24
goals
to help the Shrimpers to promotion into League One last season.

Southend value the 21-year-old at £750,000, but Forest are unlikely to
want
to shell out that much for a player with limited experience.

Megson could face stiff competition for the striker, with Brighton
thought
to be among those also chasing his signature.

Eastwood started the season at non-league Grays Athletic, but after
scoring
a hat-trick on his debut during an initial one-month loan spell,
Southend
made the move permanent.

Eastwood scored one of the decisive goals in the Shrimpers' 2-0
extra-time
win over Lincoln City in the play-off final last month.

He this week admitted how he might have to leave the club if Southend
wished
to cash in on any big offers. "I'm very happy at Southend," he said. "I
love
it here and would be very happy to stay, but it might not be down to
me.

"If a team came in with a big offer that the club couldn't refuse then
I
would have to go.

"That's football at the end of the day."

If he does sign, Forest will be hoping Eastwood has the same impact as
Stan
Collymore, who made the move north from Roots Hall for £2m in July 1993
and
went on to score 41 goals in 64 League starts.
Paper talk!

Not one direct quote.

I'll believe it when i hear quotes.

glare.gif

On a personal note, I'd love him to stay for as long as possible because he's such a precocious talent in the team.

Casting supporter feelings aside, I reckon it would possibly be a bad move for Freddy. The weight of expectation would be huge and a few bad games could turn the relationship sour. I also think Freddy would benefit from being under the tutelage of Tilson and Brush, two men with exemplary professionalism and determination. Another season like last and I think we'll need a promotion to hold on to him though. Will be interesting to see how he does against League one defences week in week out.

I just hate all this "silly season" talk.

Paper speculation is mad at the moment. Does my 'ead in

mad.gif

from www.thisisessex.co.uk

Soccer: Freddy doesn't fancy a stroll in the Forest

SOUTHEND United striker Freddy Eastwood is not be interested in joining the Shrimpers League One rivals Nottingham Forest.

Speculation is rife at the City Ground that boss Gary Megson is preparing a £500,000 bid for the highly-rated hot-shot as his side attempt to work their way back into the Championship at the first attempt.

But Eastwood, who netted 24 goals in 38 starts last season, does not want to join the former European Champions.

And a source at Roots Hall revealed Blues have yet to receive an official approach from the Nottinghamshire club that was relegated from the Championship last season.

"It's nice to be linked with a club like Forest because it means I must be doing something right, but in all honesty I don't want to sign for them," said the former Grays Athletic goal-getter.

"I'm very happy at Southend and if I ever did have to leave then I hope it would be for a side in the Premier$hite or the Champ-ionship.

"Forest are in the same league as Southend though so it wouldn't be a step up at all."

Normally I would say that figures like 500-750k for a lower league player are a thing of the past but in Eastwood I have seen something that rarely surfaces. Natural talent. In the right set up with the right coaches I feel he could become a major player and I am sure that managers and coaches around the country have spotted this too. He is the best player since Collymore, not just at Southend, but in the whole of the lower leagues. Rave review? Not really. I accept that he is not the finished article by a long chalk but he undoubtedly possesses the ability and potential. I would love him to stay but in fairness to fulfil his potential he should be playing for a much bigger club. Good luck Freddy!
smile.gif

Back