• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Funny old game

shrimpereeee

First XI
This time last year we beat Lincoln City in the play off final at Cardiff for promotion to the 1st division. 1 year later and we are preparing for some serious fun in the Championship after winning the league.

I wonder how the Lincoln City fans must be feeling. After their play off final defeat they lost many of their players and had to rebuild....whereas we have gone from strength to strength.

But what would have happened if we had lost in Cardiff? Who would have gained automatic promtion to the Championship? Would Forest have scraped into the play offs and secured promotion of their own? How would Lincoln have fared in the 1st division? How would we have coped with another season in the 2nd division? Would the Goat have joined us? Would Freddy still be with us?

Football.....so many what if's and buts. Funny old game.

Sadly for Lincoln, they seem to just be a perennial playoff team. Too good for most of the division in the regular season but worse than their rivals when it comes to the crunch. Maybe it'll be different next year, who knows.

Can't imagine they would have got near the league title though. I reckon Swansea would be up in our place in all honestly

Probably, but the Swans would still have had that mid-season collapse, so Col Ewe would probably have won the title.

Looking at the fourth division this season - which didn't exactly look strong - I reckon we'd have been gunning for promotion. It's not as if anyone was after our players...

IMO we would have romped League Two this year. THe only difference to our squad would have been not having the Goat, but that would not have detracted from us i dont think.

So lovely to see the Grimsby fans crying yesterday...now they know how we felt at their place!

So glad Grim Grimsby did not win Horrible fans ,depressing town and crap ground but no sour grapes for not winning automatic promotion there last year.Well done Cheltenham another small club doing well.

Yes it was nice that to see Grimsby fail at the final hurdle after being in the top 3 most of the season. So nice to think all their classless fans had to suffer yesterday.

Had we not won the play off Final last year who knows what might have happened? We may have had a season long hangover and not got anywhere near promotion its been known to happen. Tilson might have been sacked!
Our play off win last year might just have been the most important win in the clubs history

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpereeee @ May 28 2006,23:38)]This time last year we beat Lincoln City in the play off final at Cardiff for promotion to the 1st division. 1 year later and we are preparing for some serious fun in the Championship after winning the league.

I wonder how the Lincoln City fans must be feeling. After their play off final defeat they lost many of their players and had to rebuild....whereas we have gone from strength to strength.

But what would have happened if we had lost in Cardiff? Who would have gained automatic promtion to the Championship? Would Forest have scraped into the play offs and secured promotion of their own? How would Lincoln have fared in the 1st division? How would we have coped with another season in the 2nd division? Would the Goat have joined us? Would Freddy still be with us?

Football.....so many what if's and buts. Funny old game.
It is a funny old game. In my blue-tinted memory, we descended on Cardiff with a mission that we never looked likely to fail in. Watching this clip courtesy of our friends at You Tube and, until Freddy's goal, it could so easily have gone the other way!

League Two Play-Off Final 2005

Every time I watch it, I STILL think Jupp is going to be tackled!

If we did'nt went up .......

1.) Sdwlofc (Orient fans) would have taken the p!ss out of us every day on Southend forums - look at "Message of Sympathy" on www.shrimpernet.com.

2.) We would have to sit & watch in horror as Col Ewes win promotion to Championship as League 1 winner, years after we mocking them "we been to the Championship before & you haven't, of cause you will NEVER play there!" - Col Ewes fans will forever taunt us on this message board.

3.) We would have to put up with Orient fans taunting as Orient pip Southend to promotion & we lose to Cheltenham in Play-off final!

4.) P!sswich Town tempt Tilson & Brush an chance to manage at Championship level, will they take that chance? who know.

5.) We won't get Goater, he would have quit after Reading released him last summer & the Goat won't want to play at League 2 level, an league of long ball & won't suit Goater.

6.) After losing Tilson & Brush to championship side, Southend spend the 2006/07 season trying to avoid relegation to Conference & get beaten at home to Accrington Stanley 3-1!

Iam glad we going to watch the world cup, cheering on England, knowing Southend will be up agasint Leeds & Wolves next season!

I have to disagree that you would have gone up from League 2 this season.
It was tougher than last season

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GoochDogHighFives @ May 29 2006,15:38)]I have to disagree that you would have gone up from League 2 this season.
It's full of 'what ifs'... but if we didn't go up when we did and we kept our team together, I don't see why we couldn't have done it this time around. We managed to win League One after all.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GoochDogHighFives @ May 29 2006,14:38)]I have to disagree that you would have gone up from League 2 this season.
laugh.gif
What a load of old b******s!

So what if it was harder? We won League One FFS, which is much better than League Two. One glance at the play-off final yesterday was enough to remind me just how crap League Two is and how grateful I am that we wont be there again for a good few years yet!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ May 29 2006,14:48)]It's full of 'what ifs'... but if we didn't go up when we did and we kept our team together, I don't see why we couldn't have done it this time around. We managed to win League One after all.
I doubt if you would have kept Eastwood for a start

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ May 29 2006,15:10)]
laugh.gif

So what if it was harder? We won League One FFS, which is much better than League Two. One glance at the play-off final yesterday was enough to remind me just how crap League Two is and how grateful I am that we wont be there again for a good few years yet!
But(as overseas shrimper said) its ifs and buts.

You would not have had the same team if you did not go up.
And as someone who watched a hell of a lot of L2 football last year and this year, I think I should know

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GoochDogHighFives @ May 29 2006,16:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ May 29 2006,15:10)]
laugh.gif

But(as overseas shrimper said) its ifs and buts.

You would not have had the same team if you did not go up.
And as someone who watched a hell of a lot of L2 football last year and this year, I think I should know
Again, ifs and buts, but maybe Eastwood would have stayed with us for another season (which he was already contracted for)... or maybe Tilly and Brush would have unearthed another gem. Bit of a pointless debate really.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ May 29 2006,15:24)]Again, ifs and buts, but maybe Eastwood would have stayed with us for another season (which he was already contracted for)... or maybe Tilly and Brush would have unearthed another gem. Bit of a pointless debate really.
Yeah, it is really

(but you would not have found it so easy this year though)
smile.gif

A year ago we were in the League 2 play offs now we're only a year away from the premiership, happy days!

Back