• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Furloughed players (or non-furloughed as it turns out)

BriggBlue

Schoolboy
Chris Phillips has just tweeted that at least 7 players have been placed on Furlough

At least by being furloughed the players are going to get paid 80% of their wages by government, and the club can call them back to work anytime in the following 12months without penalty from the efl. ( if I understand the rules correctly!!!)

At least by being furloughed the players are going to get paid 80% of their wages by government, and the club can call them back to work anytime in the following 12months without penalty from the efl. ( if I understand the rules correctly!!!)
Yep up to a maximum wage of £2,500 per month. Not sure on the length of time isn't it 3 months at the moment?

Still much better than the £0.00 any newly self employed person is getting.

Yep up to a maximum wage of £2,500 per month. Not sure on the length of time isn't it 3 months at the moment?

Still much better than the £0.00 any newly self employed person is getting.

3 months. But the government grant doesnt kick in until late April so we may have to pay them first anyway before getting assistance.

and still better than directors who pay themselves in PAYE/dividends.

wonder why only 7, would that thought they'd all be furloughed. Can believe we can afford to be paying them at the best of times let alone now..

First I think it said at least 7. Also whilst the Gov pays 80% of uptown £2500 month the club can then make it up to whatever the full salary is.

Given there can be no training for sometime, let alone thoughts of games them probably makes a lot of sense. Maybe to start just fringe players who would not be involved in first team action but I hear Cambridge has furloughed the squad. If as expected this season is voided we are probably looking at training back maybe July so maybe 3 months furlough- originally it was available to end of May but with the caveat it was open to extension as necessary.

I believe it is 7 and you could safely assume probably the highest 7 earners\senior players.
It should be all the squad or none. Terrible decision i feel to only do 7.
It makes good financial sense to furlough all the club but you are reliant on the goodwill of the players furloughed to voluntarily stay fit as they cannot be asked or expected to train for team duties while under furlough or they wouldn't qualify.
Contractors\ consultants
I am one of those with a limited company and it annoys me i can only furlough the paye element which is the NI threshold -11k pa approx. I'm now working only one day a week - from home, which seemed a responsible thing to accept, but now that disqualifies me from furloughing at all.
You do what you think is the right thing, and get penalised .... But to be fair health etc is more important anyway.

Think this is fair enough - what is out of order, is Premiershite clubs putting their non playing staff on furlough!!
Mike Ashley is an embarrassment really. First trying to sneak his business into key worker status, then inflating product prices, now furlough .

I am one of those with a limited company and it annoys me i can only furlough the paye element which is the NI threshold -11k pa approx. I'm now working only one day a week - from home, which seemed a responsible thing to accept, but now that disqualifies me from furloughing at all.
You do what you think is the right thing, and get penalised .... But to be fair health etc is more important anyway.

Income from shares is never going to be protected.

Which is understandable and fair. But when considered alongside what the govt have done with reducing dividend tax relief to 2k and still pressing ahead with IR35 effective from April in the private sector, plus mentioning his intention to consider everyone as an employee in shape or form - it completely ignored the fact we choose and accept no sick pay protection, holiday pay, etc... I pay more or less equivalent amounts in tax via Corp tax \vat\ PAYE\ employee and employer ni to being an employed person.
I'm droning on!!!! I'm get me coat...
You can tell I'm not bitter about it !

It would be sensible to furlough any injured players, as they can’t come in for physio and can’t train. We seem to have had at least 7 of these at any one time for the past 2 seasons.

Back