• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gardening

Pubey

**** me this is going to be a boring thread. Here goes...

I've dug out some beds in my garden. The garden is pretty shaded and stays reasonably damp. I'm looking for some nice plants and shrubs to plant which won't cost a fortune and are fairly idiot-proof.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Already got an acer and a hydrangea.

I love gardens.

Here is mine. I do the concrete bits (although I laid a bit of astroturf this weekend as well) , my wife does the plants but I dig the big holes...

DSC_0195.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0193.jpg
    DSC_0193.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 64
I love gardens.

Here is mine. I do the concrete bits (although I layer a bit of astroturf this weekend) , my wife dies the plants.

View attachment 3326

Very impressive, even if Mrs MC dies the plants. Mine is a bomb site, though have a load of broad beans growing quite happily.

Crabby Shrimper is your man Pubes. He is Charlie Dimmock in a yellow scarf.

Very impressive, even if Mrs MC dies the plants. Mine is a bomb site, though have a load of broad beans growing quite happily.

Crabby Shrimper is your man Pubes. He is Charlie Dimmock in a yellow scarf.

Do you have a fridge in your back garden?

Lupins and fuchsias are pretty fool hardy and don't need a lot of looking after, herbs are good too, and lavender.

Lupins and fuchsias are pretty fool hardy and don't need a lot of looking after, herbs are good too, and lavender.

I should have added that we already have a herb garden, lavender and a fuchsia.

Will have a look a some lupins. However our dirty industrial northern soil and lack of sunlight for most of the year might be an issue.:winking:

I should have added that we already have a herb garden, lavender and a fuchsia.

Will have a look a some lupins. However our dirty industrial northern soil and lack of sunlight for most of the year might be an issue.:winking:

Lol, well there you go, you have some pretty tough stuff in already! My in laws grew lupins ok, and they were further north than you. They are in partial shade but in a bright part of my garden. I have a load of nerines which are great too, they flower with great trumpet like heads in the autumn when everything starts to go a bit dark, and have great clumps of green leaves the rest of the year. Don't have to do anything with them, except clear them back once they've flowered.

**** me this is going to be a boring thread. Here goes...

I've dug out some beds in my garden. The garden is pretty shaded and stays reasonably damp. I'm looking for some nice plants and shrubs to plant which won't cost a fortune and are fairly idiot-proof.

for low plants, Bluebells will take the shade quite well. Also Heucheras, and Hostas (watch for slugs!). Vinca (periwinkle) is also a decent ground cover plant.

For larger perennials, fox glove (digitalis) is good (though it's also poisonous), or Acanthus spinosus, another flower spike plant.

Lupins are great. they prefer a slightly acidic soil, but will also take neutral. Think too much shade will leave them a bit disappointing though.

If you've acidic soil (if your hydrangea is blue, and stays blue, your soil will be acidic) then skimmias are nice medium sized shrubs and pieris can be anything from a small, to a large shrub with flowers, and good coloured growth in spring.

Viburnums can take some shade. Davidii is a tad dull (in my opinion) but Tinus is a nice evergreen with white spring flowers. Also consider a Bodnantense, or better still burkwoodii, or carlesi. The latter two are particularly good in shade, and come into flower around March. What makes them special, though, is the scent.

Add to this, rhododendrons and camellias (again, for acidic soil) and there's plenty to choose from

Pubey;1749075[I said:
]**** me this is going to be a boring thread[/I]. Here goes...

You weren't wrong!!

for low plants, Bluebells will take the shade quite well. Also Heucheras, and Hostas (watch for slugs!). Vinca (periwinkle) is also a decent ground cover plant.

For larger perennials, fox glove (digitalis) is good (though it's also poisonous), or Acanthus spinosus, another flower spike plant.

Lupins are great. they prefer a slightly acidic soil, but will also take neutral. Think too much shade will leave them a bit disappointing though.

If you've acidic soil (if your hydrangea is blue, and stays blue, your soil will be acidic) then skimmias are nice medium sized shrubs and pieris can be anything from a small, to a large shrub with flowers, and good coloured growth in spring.

Viburnums can take some shade. Davidii is a tad dull (in my opinion) but Tinus is a nice evergreen with white spring flowers. Also consider a Bodnantense, or better still burkwoodii, or carlesi. The latter two are particularly good in shade, and come into flower around March. What makes them special, though, is the scent.

Add to this, rhododendrons and camellias (again, for acidic soil) and there's plenty to choose from

Thanks again. Bought a skimmia (japonica?), a camellia (japonica too) and a couple of lupins. Also chucked in a cheap hibiscus i spotted in Wilkos.

I saw a really nice pieris and kind of regretting not buying it but had already spent enough, and my garden is tiny.

Last edited:
Back