• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gateshead kicked out of playoffs

Time to stop moaning about the 10 points and the embargo for that matter. We've had a superb season all things considered, and just a few more points in the locker (regardless of the 10 points) and we would have made the play-offs. It wasn't to be this season, soon we go to next season, properly prepped and resourced and we can smash up this league for fun.
Yeah I’m totally ****ed off hearing “10points and Due Diligence “ can’t they be added to the swear filter please.

Any club which does not meet this criteria for promotion should not be in this awful league. Gateshead have deprived one other club of the chance of promotion.

Gateshead haven’t deprived anyone else of the chance of promotion, other than on the field of play.

If you don’t finish in the top 7 you don’t deserve a chance at promotion. (Frankly I’m not sure teams who finish 7th deserve a chance at promotion either but that’s in the rules)

Let’s also be clear: Gateshead meet the criteria for being in the National League. They absolutely deserve to be in the National League. They don’t meet the criteria for the EFL. You can’t ban clubs from the National League for not meeting the criteria of a different league.

Gateshead were my dark horses for promotion at the start of the season, and the side I wanted to go up through the play-offs with us not in there.

Not sure why the NL are getting so much stick for this when it’s an EFL ruling and the NL have tried to assist them. There is a lot wrong with the NL, but this isn’t part of it.

Footballing matters should be decided on the pitch, but we all know that isn’t how it works, if it was we’d be getting ready for the play-offs.
Completely get this but the NL were always going to expect stick because they would have known earlier about this and allowed fans and players to believe a potential day out at Wembley was possible, by saying nothing. As it turned out, the money fans paid for attending games was all for nothing. Gateshead were not an EFL club so an announcement wasn't required from them, but as a registered NL club, it was down to the NL to be transparent. When we did have an announcement, they changed the goalposts twice with the fixtures - which was 2 days before the play-offs commence. The way it's been handled, communicated and it's timing, smells of complete incompetence.

My beef is not with the rules of membership or ground grading, or lack of onions: it's with the various bodies' transparency.
This has been on the horizon a while, and nobody thought to flag it up?

Let's assume Gateshead knew sometime since, shouldn't they have said something? And if they were lacking; shouldn't the NL have stepped in; said something and thus attempt to preserve the integrity of their own play-offs?

My beef is not with the rules of membership or ground grading, or lack of onions: it's with the various bodies' transparency.
This has been on the horizon a while, and nobody thought to flag it up?

Let's assume Gateshead knew sometime since, shouldn't they have said something? And if they were lacking; shouldn't the NL have stepped in; said something and thus attempt to preserve the integrity of their own play-offs?

The integrity would have been lost if Gateshead had given up at the end of Feb. No other club has missed out.

Seems its just bit of legal paper work that was required as the Heed are guaranteed use of that stadium under the rules of the tender. Their local council are the ones that could have easily solved the problem.

After years of SBC doing us no favours we should fully sympathies with them. Rather than bitch because we missed out.....Ron, 10 points deducted, embargoes and endless squandered chances costing us points are reason why we didn't make it. Going forward we won't have to worry about the first 3 on that list.....Just our finishing to improve and for once that will be down us. Its a problem the team can fix.

Any club which does not meet this criteria for promotion should not be in this awful league. Gateshead have deprived one other club of the chance of promotion.
Aldershot have deprived themselves the chance of promotion by coming 8th with a pathetic -9 goal difference. And they’re only 8th because of our point deduction, they don’t deserve a chance at promotion.

The integrity would have been lost if Gateshead had given up at the end of Feb. No other club has missed out.

Seems its just bit of legal paper work that was required as the Heed are guaranteed use of that stadium under the rules of the tender. Their local council are the ones that could have easily solved the problem.

After years of SBC doing us no favours we should fully sympathies with them. Rather than bitch because we missed out.....Ron, 10 points deducted, embargoes and endless squandered chances costing us points are reason why we didn't make it. Going forward we won't have to worry about the first 3 on that list.....Just our finishing to improve and for once that will be down us. Its a problem the team can fix.
No, you're quite right.
In fact, Altrincham finishing four points behind Bromley get the bonus of being treated the same.
I'll bet they're grateful they will play one match fewer.

You think they set out to rile fans?
Yes the way they ran to celebrate their goal in the south west corner, pointing at our fans and basically mocking them. Then when Dianaga got subbed he went off in front of the west and walked round gesturing 1-0 at our fans. These were 2 instances I can remember but there was more I am sure

Yes the way they ran to celebrate their goal in the south west corner, pointing at our fans and basically mocking them. Then when Dianaga got subbed he went off in front of the west and walked round gesturing 1-0 at our fans. These were 2 instances I can remember but there was more I am sure
That’s just football . Livens the atmosphere up ..

Every club in the National League and the North and South leagues is fully aware of the 10 year ruling, it’s nothing new.
The council should / could have granted a minimum 10 year lease irrespective of whether or not they were looking to appoint new operators for the stadium within that timeframe. A break-clause in the lease was unnecessary.

Although I feel sympathy towards Gateshead and their fans, players, club etc.. they must’ve known the rules to begin with? It’s almost like they didn’t expect to get in the play offs. In which case, you can only blame the board of directors for this position. Should the next available club then play the fixture by default?

If all of their results for the season were expunged, how would the table read? Over to you, you stat nerds.

So what happens next season, will Gateshead be thrown out of the NL if they cant sort out this situation with their council? Would the NL allow ground sharing?

So what happens next season, will Gateshead be thrown out of the NL if they cant sort out this situation with their council? Would the NL allow ground sharing?
Gateshead haven't broken any rules in the NL, it's the EFL that have a problem with them. There's no reason they wouldn't be allowed to play next season.

Gateshead haven't broken any rules in the NL, it's the EFL that have a problem with them. There's no reason they wouldn't be allowed to play next season.
Going to be a difficult season for them I fear, knowing they have a dead end campaign. What decent players will go there ....

Back