• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Gateshead v Southend United, Saturday 25th November 2023, 15:00k.o., NL

Starting XI and result

• David Martin

Votes: 51 76.1%
  • Gus Scott-Morris

• Harry Taylor

Votes: 52 77.6%
  • Ollie Kensdale

• Nathan Ralph

• Jack Bridge

• Noor Husin

• Oli Coker

• Wes Fonguck

• Daniel Kanu

Votes: 50 74.6%
  • Harry Cardwell

• Dan Mooney

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Brooklyn Kabongolo

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Jack Wood

• Mauro Valhete

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beau Macdonald

• Collin Andeng Ndi

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Win

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Lose

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
After the euphoria of the win against the league leaders, it’s the longest journey of the season to the north east to face Gateshead.

The Heed are spending their second season back at this level after winning National League North in the 2021-22 season. They finished a creditable 14th last season and also got to the FA Trophy Final which they lost to Halifax.

This season is going even better for them and they currently sit 5th in the table after winning 2-1 at Solihull Moors on Tuesday evening - 2 goals late in the first half, the first a penalty, were enough for them with Solihull only managing one in reply in the second half.

Much of their success has been put down to former manager Mike Williamson, who was originally appointed as player manager in June 2019 and went on to guide them to promotion and cementing their place in the fifth tier. As I hope we never find out, successful young managers in the National League will be coveted by those higher up the football ladder. So it was with Williamson when Franchise FC came calling last month and he upped sticks and moved south to the town of roundabouts and concrete cows to take over as their head coach along with a couple of his trusted backroom staff.

The Tynesiders have appointed former Newcastle United goalkeeper Rob Elliot as the interim manager, promoted from technical director. He drew his first game with Rochdale, lost the next 4-0 at home to AFC Fylde, and then (like us) got knocked out of the cup by Yeovil. Since then he seems to have found a winning formula with a 6-0 against Dorking, a 2-0 win at high-flying Barnet before Tuesday's victory.

They're in decent form and would be above us in the league even without our 10 point deduction, and their goal difference is superior to ours too so they are not to be underestimated.

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 22.21.54.png

Obviously we're in pretty decent form ourselves, with the win last Saturday underscoring what an excellent squad Kev and his team have assembled. We should welcome back both Daniel Kanu and Mauro Vilhete back from international duty and if Beau MacDonald is selected too, unknown new injuries aside, we could even field a full bench for the first time this season.

It's hard to see Kev changing a winning side, but to be honest Wood probably didn't impress enough last Saturday (playing out of position) to keep the impressive Kanu from returning.

Hopefully the takeover is nearly complete and with that the embargo can be lifted and Messrs Still and Collymore can work their magic and get us some additional signings - I've even optimistically left a few spare lines in the poll in case we get some last minute signings.

So who would you choose to start the game in the frozen north, and what do you predict the result will be?

Last edited:
Having Taylor back is a big plus.
Think although Gateshead like us have been in good form.
The game should be a cracker and it’s time to break our northern voodoo.
I’ve just got a gut feeling that we can win 2-1, and according to mrs Meekat I do have an ever increasing gut 🤪
COYB’s 💙💙💙

We can’t name 5 on the bench, the NL would force us to send back a couple of loanees surely?

Kanu is our only current loanee. He can play so long as Powell isn’t fit.

1. Andeng Ndi -> Martin -> Hayes
2. GSM
3. Bridge
4. Taylor
5. Kensdale
6. Ralph -> Kabongolo
7. Miley -> MacDonald (presumably)
8. Husin
9. Cardwell
10. Powell -> Kanu (presumably)
11. Fonguck
12. Demi -> Ralph
13. Coker
14. Mooney
15. Wood
16. Lomas -> Vilhete (presumably)

If everyone is fit we can name a 16 man squad.

I’m not sure however MacDonald will travel (he played 90 minutes today as the youths lost to 10 men Dover). I think we may also have an additional injury so it may be a 14 man squad.

2. GSM
3. Bridge
4. Taylor
5. Kensdale
6. Ralph -> Kabongolo
8. Husin
9. Cardwell
11. Fonguck
12. Demi -> Ralph
13. Coker
14. Mooney
15. Wood

I’m not sure however MacDonald will travel (he played 90 minutes today as the youths lost to 10 men Dover). I think we may also have an additional injury so it may be a 14 man squad.
Won’t it be 4 on the bench so squad of 15?

If we win on Saturday, I think that will crown Kev Manager of the Month again. Only Chesterfield and Gateshead would have as good a record this month as us - and we would have beaten both of them this month.

We’re capable of it, but Gateshead are in excellent form and have scored a shedload this season. We’ll have to be even better than we were against Chesterfield to get a result.

2. GSM
3. Bridge
4. Taylor
5. Kensdale
6. Ralph -> Kabongolo
8. Husin
9. Cardwell
11. Fonguck
12. Demi -> Ralph
13. Coker
14. Mooney
15. Wood

Don't think Kambongolo is Ralph's injury replacement - they were both named in same squad, which is not allowed

And my reading of the rules would be that assuming Kanu is Powell's injury replacement he can continue to play for us once Powell is fit, but they can not be named in same squad, and I doubt a loan extension would be allowed

Don't think Kambongolo is Ralph's injury replacement - they were both named in same squad, which is not allowed

And my reading of the rules would be that assuming Kanu is Powell's injury replacement he can continue to play for us once Powell is fit, but they can not be named in same squad, and I doubt a loan extension would be allowed
Kabongolo was/is Ralph’s replacement. Ralph then became Demetriou’s replacement when he got injured.

Kabongolo was/is Ralph’s replacement. Ralph then became Demetriou’s replacement when he got injured.
I'd think of it as Kambongolo is now Demi's injury replacement. That would allow Ralph and Kam to be in same squad

Kanu is our only loanee. Brooklyn was previously registered in place of Ralph, but now Demi. Vilhete is Lomas's replacement IMO - and is on a dual-reg with Hayes and Yeading United.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back