• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Geoff Cox / Jeff Allen

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Sep. 27 2005,09:24)]Remember the minutes Silence for the Queen Mum  "Queen Elizabeth the 1st he announced"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I'd forgotten about that one Gary - thanks for reminding me

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (AliC @ Sep. 26 2005,17:19)]Anyway, finally on Weds 31st August my patience was wearing thin at being unpaid and ignored, so i text him again - asking what was going-on, how much to invoice for and when i was going to be paid?.

I can only describe the reply as a completely OTT and abusive 'Toys Out Of The Pram' response, CARL BAILEY telling me to f-off and that I would never work for him again, if that's what I was like.

I have a very succesful career away from announcing, dealing with the client facing, business and contractual division of a pan-european business. I have NEVER known such an unbelieveble and unprofessional response to a simple, and genuine, request for fulfillment of an overdue commercial activity. As you can probably imagine, the conversations deteriated somewhat from that moment on. The final communication from CARL BAILEY was an abusive, physically threatening voicemail, with the added threat of telling Southend United "What I was like", not that it had ANYTHING to do with them. In response, I forwarded the texts to Brian Wheeler, to make him aware of what had been said and making it clear that it was nothing to do with the club and was chasing money owed to me from a private booking.
I don't know either party, and do not wish to comment in particular on the rights and wrongs, but do know there are 2 sides to every story.  No doubt if Carl Bailey had come on here with his version we would all be slagging Jeff off at this moment.

To anyone who has the time or the inclination, go down to the court house and listen to a case.  It's fascinating.  At the end of the prosecution case you will be convinced the defendant is guilty, bang to rights.  After you've heard the defence you'll probably change your mind.

Anyway, I suspect that the highlighted bit on the quote above is probably where it all went Pete Tong.  The trouble is, in order to deal effectively and correctly with the type of treatment Jeff says he received, then you have to keep your cool, no matter what the provocation.  Lose your rag and you lose your argument.

I think it is up to American Shrimper to do the 'commercial thing' and print off this thread ,go to the Xerox and circulate to his most senior bosses to let them see the strength of feeling here.

For me Jeff was excellent.

No problem with Jeff whatsoever. Thought he was good, and took his failing mic battery in good humour.
I know it's been said, but music on Matchdays is unbelievably poor. I'm not sure I've ever heard so much as a guitar the whole time I've been down the Hall, other than the predictable "We Will Rock you", which frankly is thoroughly unoriginal.
I'm not old, but I don't want to listen to crap Garage all the time. What's wrong with a bit of rock from time to time?
Oh, and turn it down while you're at it. I wouldn't mind having a chat before the game, like the good old days.
Rant over.
Good luck Jeff.

Seems a big shame really. As said before, Jeff was part of the furniture & did an excellent job on the mic. Will be missed .
Come on you MIGHTY BLUES!

Jeff's announcing has always been pretty decent and in my view has added to the match day as a whole. However having read alot of emails he sent to theYahoo list a few years ago and read about his actions from people who have met him and had dealings with him I'm inclined to feel that he may have put a certain spin on his story. And as FBM says I would be intruigued to hear COLIN BAILEY's take on it all before I join the campaign to get Jeff reinstated.

I also don't know how much work COLIN BAILEY has put in to the Macth Day music etc but this has also been a welcome addtition to match days even if the volume is still too loud in the South Upper.

Must admit whilst I thought Geoff to be comical at times, he was clearly a fan and had passion and if this is true then it’s very disappointing and unfortunately not that surprising.

Whatever the rights or wrongs of all this, to be sacked via a letter (that didn't turn up???) is well out of order. If the club wanted to change things around then fair enough, but you'd think they'd have the decency to tell him in person.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joolz @ Sep. 27 2005,13:43)]Whatever the rights or wrongs of all this, to be sacked via a letter (that didn't turn up???) is well out of order.
The club did that with Beardo as well, IIRC.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Sep. 27 2005,10:47)]I don't really know Jeff but I'm disappointed to hear of this whole situation. He's part of the furniture and matchday experience at Root's Hall and I wouldn't mind betting the players feel the same.
True, but I have not made the mistake in front of 6,000 people , nor have I come on here and slagged off my work colleagues.[/QUOTE]
Indeed but then you don't work in front of 6,000 people on a weekly basis and haven't been dismissed in what sound like pretty humiliating circumstances. (As far as I know!
wink.gif
) The job is in the public domain and is a labour of love so (IMO) I think it's excusable for the defence to be heard here - especially after Jeff's absence on Saturday was discussed and various theories put forward.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smudger @ Sep. 27 2005,13:54)]The job is in the public domain and is a labour of love so (IMO) I think it's excusable for the defence to be heard here - especially after Jeff's absence on Saturday was discussed and various theories put forward.
I agree, perfectly excusable for a defence to be aired on here, but I feel that the post was less of a defence and more of a rage at someone he believesto be resonsible for his dismissal .

Please forgive me for being cynical on this but JA/GC/GC whoever, made similar rants in a similar format (ie not using his real name) against various individuals and the Trust, some years ago on the Yahoo forum so it is hardly out of character..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joolz @ Sep. 27 2005,13:43)]Whatever the rights or wrongs of all this, to be sacked via a letter (that didn't turn up???) is well out of order. If the club wanted to change things around then fair enough, but you'd think they'd have the decency to tell him in person.
How do you know they didn't?

Although the club have done this sort of thing before, we only have Jeff's word that is how things went this time. I think we should wait for the clubs version before we start hailing Jeff as a Hero/Martyr/all round great bloke and the club as being in the wrong.
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]failing mic battery in good humour

I don't think that this is the problem, the problem is the distance between tranmitter (mic) and receiver (base unit) and any obstructions between the 2

[b said:
Quote[/b] (soul DJ @ Sep. 28 2005,09:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]failing mic battery in good humour

I don't think that this is the problem, the problem is the distance between tranmitter (mic) and receiver (base unit) and any obstructions between the 2
Like tons of steel and girders and that flying bat that darted above our heads emitting sonar radio waves no doubt.
They must have the same wireless technology as Spinal Tap, all we need is Southend Airport transmissions to be heard and it'd be confirmed

Sorry I am just posting from experiance of using Trantec Radio Mics, they can cut out inside as well.

not just steel girders, but other electrical items/wireing will interfere with the signal.

they need to upgrade the mic to a duel diversity UHF mic,

and on the subject of the bluebelles, they are legal as my brother knows one of them and was in his performing arts class at college. so perv away.....

and on the subject of the bluebelles, they are legal as my brother knows one of them and was in his performing arts class at college. so perv away.....

I as a long time friend of Geoff just have to reply to this thread.
I have supported southend home and away for over 25 yrs and Geoff is the bloke that 1st got me interested in the blues playing footy over the park when we were both young.
His and my love for the blues are set in us both and we have and always will follow southend im sure.
Geoff is a real fan and to be treated in this way by the club he loves is truely out of order.
His skills with the mic and knowledge of the blues are 1st class and geoff has really made the whole southend thing on matchdays work.
I think a few people at the club need to look at themselves over this matter and i will be urging you all to get geoff reinstated.
UP THE BLUES !!!!

Back