• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

George Best

Sad.

Hate to say it, but if it is his liver then it's his own fault. He was warned when he had that transplant a few years ago, but he just couldn't stay off the booze

When it comes to George Best, this setence from that link sums it all up:

After years of heavy drinking, the 59-year-old pledged but failed to give up alcohol after the transplant.

Hope he gets better though!!

Sorry this sounds insensitive but the man's an idiot. If his hospitalisation is drink related I have no sympathy at all. This is the second liver he's set about destroying.

People are quite literally dying before they can get a liver transplant and they waste one on a washed up old soak like Best.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ Oct. 03 2005,15:11)]Sorry this sounds insensitive but the man's an idiot. If his hospitalisation is drink related I have no sympathy at all. This is the second liver he's set about destroying.

People are quite literally dying before they can get a liver transplant and they waste one on a washed up old soak like Best.
I don't think that's insesnsitive - it's 100% true and even he knows that (after watching a documentary a while back where he admitted it).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lee_sufc @ Oct. 03 2005,15:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ Oct. 03 2005,15:11)]Sorry this sounds insensitive but the man's an idiot. If his hospitalisation is drink related I have no sympathy at all. This is the second liver he's set about destroying.

I don't think that's insesnsitive - it's 100% true and even he knows that (after watching a documentary a while back where he admitted it).
It is if he has a death wish now.
What a truly gifted footballer, I know genius & great are over used but Best was all of these, as a player, and the expression "flawed genius" really does apply to him.

Insensitive to say, but....
Tough s%&t.
It's all your own fault.

Some unlucky bastid had to die to give you a second chance and you throw it back in the persons face.
Shame on you

[b said:

I second that my friend!

suspect.gif

Difficult one to call - it does appear that he's been foolish with his second chance but he's alcoholic.

After reading Paul Gascoignes autobiography I have to say I have a bit more sympathy with alkies than I used too. Its an illness just like any other.

Sorry, but couldnt care if he dies. He had a chance a few years back with his Op, but he abused it and is paying the price for it now. Someone else could of had his liver, someone who needed it more than him

what sickens me more then the fact that he has abused his 2nd chance at having a liver is that Sky Sports sacked Rodney Marsh but continued to pay Bestie despite him beating his wife up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Its grim up north! @ Oct. 04 2005,11:04)]
[b said:

I second that my friend!

suspect.gif
Thirded.

Even worse, it sends out a bloody appalling message / image about transplants... people are bound to ask themselves whether they should bother being organ donors if their organs are going to be wasted on alcoholics like Best.

Alcoholism isn't just like any other illness, incidentally. There is an absolute, 100% total cure for alcoholism... but it requires enormous strength and self-will to achieve it (I know this not from personal experience, but through a friend who has been through it and has come out the other side - and has been dry for nigh on a decade).

It is not, despite the protestations of Gazza or Best, an illness like cancer - one which may have no cure, and one which you may not be able to do anything about.

Rant over.

mad.gif

Whilst it's sad to see anyone ill and in hospital, my well of sympathy for Best has run completely dry, I'm afraid.

glare.gif

Back