• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Getting a degree

Is Getting a degree

• a complete waste of time?

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • a life changing experience?

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I wouldn't know/Stopped at "O/A levels"/Bart etc

Votes: 12 54.5%

• Total voters
I also think a lot of degree courses (mostly arty/media types) could easily be condensed into 2 years rather than 3. You hear about some students who have 3/4 teaching hours a week - what are they paying for (or should I say getting in debt for)? If you shortened the course to 2 years it would cost them, and the taxpayer less.

I think that's highly unlikely/unusual.

For a degree to be called a 'degree' it has to meet a fairly strict criteria. Just because there may be relatively few 'teaching hours' doesn't mean that the student isn't working. Lectures are a fairly inefficient and 'outdated' way of learning, there's a big shift towards other methods.

My wife studied history - she maybe had 8 contact hours (lectures and tutorials), but was in the library a lot of the time doing research, reading and studying.

I don't think degrees could really be compressed into 2 years when most of the first year is correcting issues and gaps in knowledge and skills that arise from out outdated and not fit-for-purpose A-level system.

The one year I did was up to 30 hours a week Lecture and lab time and ,given the old rule of 1hour of lecture = 1 hour of writing up meant it was a very intensive course, however it does tend to indicate that any course with 10 hours of lectures / prac a week could certainly be condensed , particularly given the technology available these days .

For a degree to be called a 'degree' it has to meet a fairly strict criteria. Just because there may be relatively few 'teaching hours' doesn't mean that the student isn't working. Lectures are a fairly inefficient and 'outdated' way of learning, there's a big shift towards other methods.

My wife studied history - she maybe had 8 contact hours (lectures and tutorials), but was in the library a lot of the time doing research, reading and studying.

I don't think degrees could really be compressed into 2 years when most of the first year is correcting issues and gaps in knowledge and skills that arise from out outdated and not fit-for-purpose A-level system.

Yeah, during my last year I only had about 10 hours contact time a week and that reduced significantly for my final semester, but the contact time was replaced by compulsory work placements and various other bits.

The one year I did was up to 30 hours a week Lecture and lab time and ,given the old rule of 1hour of lecture = 1 hour of writing up meant it was a very intensive course, however it does tend to indicate that any course with 10 hours of lectures / prac a week could certainly be condensed , particularly given the technology available these days .

More and more students (unsurprisingly) are having to work part time, or commute from home. Compressing courses would have a significant impact on the ability of many people to actually undertake a degree.

I also think a lot of degree courses (mostly arty/media types) could easily be condensed into 2 years rather than 3. You hear about some students who have 3/4 teaching hours a week - what are they paying for (or should I say getting in debt for)? If you shortened the course to 2 years it would cost them, and the taxpayer less.

I only had 3 or 4 teaching hours a week for my undergraduate course.

I learnt far more than with my condensed 3 or 4 teaching hours a day for my post-graduate course.

Oh, and an addendum to my original post, it's not ten grand I owe, it's thirty. Thirty thousand three hundred and something and seventy-seven pence. Could've sworn I was in the last lot to pay the standard fees over the jumped up ones...

My degree was useful, but it's not a perfect fit for my current role. However, as I now help together online distance learning courses, some at post-grad level, I can see the other side of the equation if that makes sense.

You need to make the course fit your aspirations, even as far as specific modules that will make a difference to your job or future job. It's an expense but also an investment. I know MBA students that have got promoted/moved jobs and improved their salary by 10-15k.

4 years for me on a Scottish MA. Maybe 10 hours lectures a week; with added reading and seminars added to that. The first and second years were introduction to lingustics, the third and fourth were forget about the last two years, here's some new theories and think for yourself stuff.

Back