• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Gillingham 51 years ago today (28th April)

LCBB72

Manager ⭐
51 years ago today Southend swamped Gillingham. The guys in this picture are Old Leigh Comm who took the Rainham End as well as other ends that season. Leigh Comm were the main crew at the Southend North Bank at that time. This picture was taken a few years back at an Old Leigh Comm reunion when about 30 guys turned up - with some flying over from Europe for the occasion.pub snap.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Boreham Wood did not take the North Bank , the old Bill put them in there at 1 o clock . A dozen Leigh Com steamed into Boreham Wood at the back of The North Bank about quarter to three and gave a good account , where were you .
But when did they realise it was a 7.45pm kick off ?:-)

Where were they when Harlow Town run across the pitch from the South Bank to attack the North Bank kids in the FA Cup in the mid 80s around half hour before kickoff ;-)

Lightweights compared the CS Crew IMHO

Hahahaha

BTW I was there , Harlow fans was made up of Tottenham and Arsenal fans , about 30 of us started singing Southend songs from the old North Bank Pen

For a laugh , we started to sing , Come and Join us come and join us over here.

So funny watching 500 or so Harlow fans running across the pitch, no one got hurt as they realised we was just kids...lol all happened before 2.30 no police in the ground.

Last edited:
Where were they when Harlow Town run across the pitch from the South Bank to attack the North Bank kids in the FA Cup in the mid 80s around half hour before kickoff ;-)

Hahahaha

BTW I was there , Harlow fans was made up of Tottenham and Arsenal fans , about 30 of us started singing Southend songs from the old North Bank Pen

So funny watching 500 or so Harlow fans running across the pitch, no one got hurt as they realised we was just kids...lol all happened before 2.30 no police in the ground.

Hahahaha

Harlow was 78 when most of the Leigh Comm were all in there 20s , it was up to those that came after to deal with the likes of Harlow .

Many also supported West Ham back then, & went to their home game v Arsenal. The Boreham Wood mob who turned up were Arsenal who had intended to go to the West Ham game, but changed their minds en route during the train journey. One told me that afterwards at Southend Central.

Never heard of the CS Crew, when did they appear on the scene, & do what?. As already explained Leigh Comms heyday was between 69-75, as many 'mature' aged fans on this site would verify if asked.
And as you have said that you were still a kid in 1980, then surely you'd know nothing about those who frequented the North Bank & the adventures at away games some 8-10 years previously?.

Who are the lads in the photo?? I knew you all then,but time changes us all.
Also today..29 th April..1976 i was at Sheff Wed,that thursday night game that put us back into the fourth.
Also,like Gillingham 72( iwas on a LC coach from the Elms).. today 1978...we took over Newport,our last away gmae of the season.KK and myself took a coach there...the Nelson pub,as i was told, only came back from there 50% of the lads they went with.
Still got Parkers shirt hanging on my wall from that game.
Again after the Gills away game, left the LC coach and went to my nans living in Elm Rd and watched England get beaten by Germany live on TV 1-3 i think

Who are the lads in the photo?? I knew you all then,but time changes us all.
I can name them all, but out of respect to LCBB72 who uploaded it, i'll let him do the honours!.
Ironically i couldn't attend that night, as i had to collect my eldest son from Term 5 Heathrow, who was visiting for Christmas. Of all the days to fly over, it had to be that one!!!!.

Hahahaha

Harlow had a large Spurs mob amongst them, wearing Spurs scarves and shirts. Boreham Wood had a lot of Arsenal amongst them.

Back