• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What would you do to improve the standard of refereeing throughout the game ?

(I'm not disagreeing with you, by the way.)

Its very easy to improve the standard of referees. Get the managers, coaches and players to eradicate the massive amount of cheating and the refs will have less contentious moments to decide upon. Players of all teams go down if breathed on. They are deliberately trying to deceive the officials and then wonder why the officials don't always get it right. The game has become shameful.

Correct answer.

I would quite like to see alternatives to just yellows and reds. I am a fan of rugby's sin bin for ex minutes. The only other change I would like to see is the adoption of an extra point for 4 goals

Correct answer.

The referees performance yesterday had nothing to do with players cheating; so though I agree that will help, it's not the sole cause of the problem.

Also, sometimes you can't blame players for making a meal of it, as players hardly ever get free-kicks unless they actually go to ground

The referees performance yesterday had nothing to do with players cheating; so though I agree that will help, it's not the sole cause of the problem.

Also, sometimes you can't blame players for making a meal of it, as players hardly ever get free-kicks unless they actually go to ground

I agree with you. Nothing too do with the players. Yesterdays performance was governed by a young assistant referee who, for some reason wanted to get involved. I'm convinced the referee changed his mind over the penalty because of him and it was he who flagged the foul. The applause from the home fans for the officials yesterday at half time was very telling.

On the other hand the fact they are so easy to dupe and they ignore blatent cheating encourages more and more of what apparently makes their life difficult..

Their number 5 spent the game simulating injury yesterday- did anyone seem the 'refere' telling him to cut it out? I would have told him very early on if he continued I would assume he was always play acting and give the benefit of doubt to whoever challenged him ( and I would also mention I didn't like cry babies). If they weren't so weak there would be less of a problem.

Am I being paranoid? Adrian Pennock -nasty Gills manager was born and brought up in Ipswich and Carl Fitch-Jackson incompetent linesman also appears to have been born and brought up in Ipswich. Isn't everyone from Ipswich related to each other.

At first sight and without the benefit of the highlights, I'm not too upset at the penalty decision. I think if it had been the other way around we would be screaming for it.

As for the second yellow for Inniss... my word, in no way was that even a foul, let alone a yellow card. i'd love to know what the lino has actually seen there.

Other interesting decisions not mentioned -

1 - There was a blatant shove on McGlashan early on in the box that, if he hadn't have thrown his arms up theatrically, may have on another day gone our way. It was a clear push.

2 - Midway through the first half, in the middle of the park, Wordsworth (I think) is battling with a Gills player and is fouled; the ref plays advantage. Well, that is, until we actually get an advantage by the ball being fed to Coker who has acres to run into. Then it's brought back for a free kick to us where Woody was fouled.

3 - The late trip on Lenny as he is powering forward. Definitely a trip, Lenny tries to keep going but a couple of paces later falls over. He would have been in control of the ball and he wasn't in the area. Why fall over deliberately?

Not a very good performance by the guys in the middle. Sorry, that's probably the biggest understatement ever.

The two big decisions were actually taken by the linesman Mr Fitch from Ipswich. It seems he has previous history of sticking his oar in incorrectly

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=fa+commission+kyle+mcfadzean&*

The google gives a link into the Fa Commission verdict and the reasoning (PDF). Karl Robinson insisted it was not even a foul and I believe him.
Fitch apparently had quite a few championship games in the last few seasons but does not appear to have any this year.

There are few a decisions that can be found through google. I now understand why premier league players often get reds rescinded - the clubs employ expensive QCs for these appeals.

Whitestone's biggest mistakes were believing Fitch.

I'm still seething at the injustice..............

Did the ref know in advance that no-one was going to trying and cheat him during this match? I seriously doubt it, and his years of experience of having players try to cheat him would have influenced his actions.

Originally Posted by onceknownasrab Its very easy to improve the standard of referees. Get the managers, coaches and players to eradicate the massive amount of cheating and the refs will have less contentious moments to decide upon. Players of all teams go down if breathed on. They are deliberately trying to deceive the officials and then wonder why the officials don't always get it right. The game has become shameful.

Correct answer.

Players not diving, over reacting etc would certainly improve the position. However, Innis's red card was a mistake pure and simple. It is not an isolated incident either.

My main concern with your "correct answer" answer is that as a referee you see the problem as laying with the players. Referees too need to accept that they are inconsistent and making too many mistakes. Until they take responsibility and work at ways of improving the level of officiating the situation will not improve.

Blaming it all on simulation and the modern game is not the correct answer.

Did the ref know in advance that no-one was going to trying and cheat him during this match? I seriously doubt it, and his years of experience of having players try to cheat him would have influenced his actions.

The point I was making is that the guy Innis tangled with didn't even go down, if you watch the highlights he carried on chasing the ball - hence my comment about eradicating diving would have made no difference whatsoever on Saturday (and in many other examples) which was a poor decision by the ref and/or linesman.

At first sight and without the benefit of the highlights, I'm not too upset at the penalty decision. I think if it had been the other way around we would be screaming for it.

As for the second yellow for Inniss... my word, in no way was that even a foul, let alone a yellow card. i'd love to know what the lino has actually seen there.

Other interesting decisions not mentioned -

1 - There was a blatant shove on McGlashan early on in the box that, if he hadn't have thrown his arms up theatrically, may have on another day gone our way. It was a clear push.

2 - Midway through the first half, in the middle of the park, Wordsworth (I think) is battling with a Gills player and is fouled; the ref plays advantage. Well, that is, until we actually get an advantage by the ball being fed to Coker who has acres to run into. Then it's brought back for a free kick to us where Woody was fouled.

3 - The late trip on Lenny as he is powering forward. Definitely a trip, Lenny tries to keep going but a couple of paces later falls over. He would have been in control of the ball and he wasn't in the area. Why fall over deliberately?

Not a very good performance by the guys in the middle. Sorry, that's probably the biggest understatement ever.

There was also a high kick on the edge of their area in the second half they missed (or ignored) as well

The point I was making is that the guy Innis tangled with didn't even go down, if you watch the highlights he carried on chasing the ball - hence my comment about eradicating diving would have made no difference whatsoever on Saturday (and in many other examples) which was a poor decision by the ref and/or linesman.

Fair enough. I was being generic. I haven't even watched the highlights yet.

Even as a guest commentator on the BBC match of Brighton vs Newcastle Phil has made a reference about referees

"I think the referee will know that and he'll certainly referee the situation, not the occasion."

Another dig at Saturday's ref??? :winking:

Originally Posted by onceknownasrab Its very easy to improve the standard of referees. Get the managers, coaches and players to eradicate the massive amount of cheating and the refs will have less contentious moments to decide upon. Players of all teams go down if breathed on. They are deliberately trying to deceive the officials and then wonder why the officials don't always get it right. The game has become shameful.

Players not diving, over reacting etc would certainly improve the position. However, Innis's red card was a mistake pure and simple. It is not an isolated incident either.

My main concern with your "correct answer" answer is that as a referee you see the problem as laying with the players. Referees too need to accept that they are inconsistent and making too many mistakes. Until they take responsibility and work at ways of improving the level of officiating the situation will not improve.

Blaming it all on simulation and the modern game is not the correct answer.

This is why all referees at levels above park are regularly assessed. Those a FL level are assessed every game.
This is why Premier and Championship refs are now full time, so that they are able to concentrate on their performances
This is why all refs at that level spend at least one day a week in training events evaluating their performances
This is why all refs have mentors, with experience of reffing at the top, to help them improve
This is why all refs run the risk of being demoted down the league or even out of it if they don't improve or meet a standard

Behind closed doors, there is communication between refs, managers and clubs. It is not unknown for refs to explain decisions to managers, or in some cases even apologise for getting a decision wrong. Phil Brown himself will tell you that.

So yes refs are fully aware that they make mistakes, and they don't just roll up on a Saturday to spoil a game with incompetence.

Refs get a massive amount of support, do hours and hours of training and fitness, yet still make errors. That's coz they're human and in many cases its far easier to blame the ref than take responsibility. You only need to look at the furore around Marriner's dismissal of Atkinson - a decision that was absolutely and utterly correct - yet you find people who've never blown a whistle in their life arguing with some vigour it was wrong.

Gillingham needed Dean Whitestone help tonight and they didn't get it as they lost 3-1 to Swindon :hilarious:

Back