• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch ..... Gillingham part one

Mick

Life President
Been away for a few days. Any news ?

Refwatch seems perhaps a little trite at this time but here goes anyway:

Tomorrow evening brings Gavin Ward from Oxted to Roots Hall for his fifth visit. This is his third season as a League referee.

His first three games went pretty much okay. They were the JPT defeat on pens by Dagenham, the 2-1 win against Hartlepool (who had Sam Collins sent off in that match) and last season's 2-1 home win against Swindon.

The fourth one was last season's home match against Bristol Rovers when he declined to send off the opposing goalkeeper for a handball outside the area. Notwithstanding that decision it wasn't the best of performances from Mr Ward.

He was an absolutely first class linesman. Lined in numerous Premiership matches and some full internationals. He is looking to replicate that success in the middle and therefore will probably be disappointed that he has been overtaken in the pecking order by several younger officials (even if they don't look younger).

His 10 matches this season have seen an above-average 33 yellows and 2 reds.

Adrian Sannerude from Lowestoft and Paul Martin from Northampton will be assisting. Richard Kendall from Bedford will carry out 4th official duties.

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! It's the bloody poisoned dwarf!!!!! F***ing 12 years old and a complete bloody *****!

P.S. Sorry!

Watch out for new thread next week - Administratorwatch. Will we get the Howard Webb of the football administration world, Begbies Traynor, or perhaps one of the smaller, less experienced ones.

The ref threads are going to be very interesting as we progress through the season.
Basically we will need to win as many games as poss to climb that points deficit before the squad gets broken up. We have a very important couple of months methinks.

..unles Ron has a huge stash under his bed ready for next week.

He was as awful as ever

Lost control of the match - 9 bookings in a game he could have got under control early if he wasnt 3 ft 7. Some baffling decisions tonight, again not helped by incompetent linesmen. Credit to our lads for getting the 3points in the face of poor refereeing. At least I suppose he disallowed their freekick .. you dont often see them disallowed for pulling

Absolute cack.
Dear oh dear, we get better refs for SZfc on a Sunday morning.
Loved the way in the second half he give it the biggun and booked everything that moved.
Typical wannabee in the world that is officialdom. Probably is a loner, neighbourhood watch co-ordinator and in his spare time does the community speed camera thingy that i've seen in Hatfield Peveral, real Mr nobodys waving a speed gun pretending to nick you.

Gavin Ward, i present to you from me...:flamer:

Been away for a few days. Any news ?

Refwatch seems perhaps a little trite at this time but here goes anyway:

Tomorrow evening brings Gavin Ward from Oxted to Roots Hall for his fifth visit. This is his third season as a League referee.

His first three games went pretty much okay. They were the JPT defeat on pens by Dagenham, the 2-1 win against Hartlepool (who had Sam Collins sent off in that match) and last season's 2-1 home win against Swindon.

The fourth one was last season's home match against Bristol Rovers when he declined to send off the opposing goalkeeper for a handball outside the area. Notwithstanding that decision it wasn't the best of performances from Mr Ward.

He was an absolutely first class linesman. Lined in numerous Premiership matches and some full internationals. He is looking to replicate that success in the middle and therefore will probably be disappointed that he has been overtaken in the pecking order by several younger officials (even if they don't look younger).

His 10 matches this season have seen an above-average 33 yellows and 2 reds.

Adrian Sannerude from Lowestoft and Paul Martin from Northampton will be assisting. Richard Kendall from Bedford will carry out 4th official duties.

I would suggest he sticks to running the line then because he clearly has no clue how to referee!

He was as awful as ever

Lost control of the match - 9 bookings in a game he could have got under control early if he wasnt 3 ft 7. Some baffling decisions tonight, again not helped by incompetent linesmen. Credit to our lads for getting the 3points in the face of poor refereeing. At least I suppose he disallowed their freekick .. you dont often see them disallowed for pulling

I see ...... well we are due some luck.

I believe I was right :stunned:. I'll just try and get my predictions right in the PL.

Their player did nearly rip Laurent's shirt off him but I've never seen that before and wouldn't have thought it would be disallowed for just that!

He was as awful as ever

Utterly disgraceful referreeing and linesmanship. I could do better and I'm only a clueless woman
icon10.gif

Two things made me laugh - Mildy was blatantly fouled, 8000 people saw it, and the ref had to ask the lino... result = yellow card 10 minutes after the event; and the nonsensical indirect free kick on our goal line...?? They ref is an idiot!

I never want to see his schoolboy face at a Southend match ever again. What an idiot - Barney and Macca's bookings for "fouls" were never bookings, but I suppose it allows them to sit out a potentially pointless FA Cup 1st round tie.

The free kick in the box was completely laughable - I thought he'd given a free kick to us! If anyone was watching on SSN, I just wonder whether anything was said about it? Never seen anything like it! It wasn't even a dirty game really, and yet all those bookings.

I've seen some bad refs over the years but Gavin Ward was horrendous !! the lino over at the West stand was equally as dreadful , the pair of them were a comedy of errors from start to finish.

Was it 9 bookings ? hardly a malicious foul all night. Only booked the Gillingham player for kicking Mildy because a) Mildy told him and b) the crowd saw it. He missed it and the lino didn't flag , so he shouldn't have booked him !

So many obvious decisions , either way I may add , were wrong. I'd like to think a report will go in and get this idiot demoted.

he was terrible he really was. gave us seriously nothing all game long. being 100% honest it was us v him. he was looking for an excuse to send barney off.

I never want to see his schoolboy face at a Southend match ever again. What an idiot - Barney and Macca's bookings for "fouls" were never bookings, but I suppose it allows them to sit out a potentially pointless FA Cup 1st round tie.

The free kick in the box was completely laughable - I thought he'd given a free kick to us! If anyone was watching on SSN, I just wonder whether anything was said about it? Never seen anything like it! It wasn't even a dirty game really, and yet all those bookings.

Wasn't Barnard booked for dissent?

Wasn't Barnard booked for dissent?

Nope, he was booked for 'backing in'. From my view in the South Upper he was trying manfully to stand his ground whilst being mounted by his marker. When the ref blew a bunch of us where I was sitting stood and ironically applauded the ref for finally giving us a decision thinking he'd blown for us. How wrong we were.

I thought the ref had an excellent first 20 or 25 minutes, then seemed to have a momentary loss of point and common sense. He lost control of the game there and then and never got it back because he'd lost the trust of the players.

However, There were certain incidents I thought he handled very well.
1) The free kick they 'scored' from, how many refs do you see actually correctly penalising players for obstructing / pushing in the wall? Good decision.
2) The player that 'kicked out' at Mildy didn't seem to make contact and I thought that our players were trying to get him booked after Barney's booking. Ref clearly hadn't seen it as he was running up the pitch for the clearance, but did the right thing and consulted his linesman once it was clear that something had happened. Lino may or may not have thought he saw contact but would certainly have seen intent, which is enough for a yellow.
3) Macca's booking looked stonewall booking from where I was - ankles wrapped around their guys thigh. Needless. But the most pointless (but deserved) booking was their captain for palming the ball off the pitch when we were going nowhere anyway. What a prat.

Mr Ward wasn't helped by a linesmen (especially the one in front of the East) who often couldn't tell who the ball's come off for a throw.

He lost control of the game when he suddenly started getting militant in the last 15 of the first half. Both teams seemed to be taken by surprise by this and therefore not surprised we saw 9 yellows. Hope he learns from this as he's got the makings of a good referee if he uses common sense to apply his match management tools.

Back