• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gilly may have Southend role

Evening Echo

The News
BLUES boss Paul Sturrock has revealed that the signing of left-back Anthony Straker does not necessarily mean Peter Gilbert will be heading out of Roots Hall.

More...

BLUES boss Paul Sturrock has revealed that the signing of left-back Anthony Straker does not necessarily mean Peter Gilbert will be heading out of Roots Hall.

More...

He needs to look at where the money would be best spent. I'd suggest on a striker and a CM ahead of a 3rd leftback. Especially when Barker could play there too at a push.

He needs to look at where the money would be best spent. I'd suggest on a striker and a CM ahead of a 3rd leftback. Especially when Barker could play there too at a push.

You are assuming its one or the other, which it may or not be, I think PS is keeping his options open.

Stiker we are talking to Freddy still and I assume still looking for a centre midfielder.

Cant really see its worth keeping Gilbert though if Straker is any good. Prosser and Barker as you say can both cover that position.

Kane and Bilel could probably play there at a push too, and Hall played there briefly for half a game or so didnt he? Really is no need for him to be at the club, money best spent on a creative centre mid and goalie.

You are assuming its one or the other, which it may or not be, I think PS is keeping his options open.

Stiker we are talking to Freddy still and I assume still looking for a centre midfielder.

Cant really see its worth keeping Gilbert though if Straker is any good. Prosser and Barker as you say can both cover that position.

Yeah I am assuming its one or the other because to be honest it really should be. It's crazy to carry 3 left-backs at our level of the game and with our finances as they are.

Having Straker as first choice with Prosser as back up and then use Barker or a loanee should injuries/suspensions kick in.

Kane and Bilel could probably play there at a push too, and Hall played there briefly for half a game or so didnt he? Really is no need for him to be at the club, money best spent on a creative centre mid and goalie.

I think we need a defensive midfielder first to ensure we actually get hold of the ball. There's a distinct lack of anyone who can put their foot in in midfield and only Kane who can be relied on to close down.

Yeah I am assuming its one or the other because to be honest it really should be. It's crazy to carry 3 left-backs at our level of the game and with our finances as they are.

Having Straker as first choice with Prosser as back up and then use Barker or a loanee should injuries/suspensions kick in.

Certainly hard to justify, especially as we only have one right back. Maybe its because PS doesnt have as much faith in the left back side and wants competition?

Could Luggy be thinking Gilbert could be back up for Clohessy on the right? Presumably only if he takes a paycut.

Certainly hard to justify, especially as we only have one right back. Maybe its because PS doesnt have as much faith in the left back side and wants competition? Isnt Leonard back up for clohessy??

Maybe for some games, tactically, PS is thinking of playing Straker as a left midfield option rather than full back? Straker is a left back not left midfielder, wouldnt look good if he was played there ahead of Hall, Martin or Mosh.

Forgot about Leonard. In that case I have no idea what Luggy's thinking. :smiles:

Unless someone is on their way out.

Certainly hard to justify, especially as we only have one right back. Maybe its because PS doesnt have as much faith in the left back side and wants competition? Isnt Leonard back up for clohessy??

Maybe for some games, tactically, PS is thinking of playing Straker as a left midfield option rather than full back? Straker is a left back not left midfielder, wouldnt look good if he was played there ahead of Hall, Martin or Mosh.

You can add Hurst and possibly Tomlin to that list as well.

Insane.

We have just paid a fee for a left back so I assume he is first choice. In additon to this we have resigned Prosser who I thought was left back cover. If were now saying he is not then I dont see the point in keeping him as we have Barker (who can also play left back), Phillips and Creswell - Not even mentioning Moshni as a centre back.

For my mind its madness to even consider Gilbert.

Back