• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Goldie Lookin Chain

Ron Manager

I've been listening to a couple of tracks that I downloaded for a few months, looks like they're starting to get a fair bit of success now. Any opinions....?

I like the odd bit of hip-hop, I like comedy, not got a lot of time for the welsh but that's still 2 out of 3.

To me they are a bit like the rap Half Man Half Biscuit, so no bad thing there. The video for 'Guns don't kill people, rappers do' is hilarious!

Was gonna be my next posting subject after American Psycho!!

I really wanna like the GLC - "Guns dont kill..." is a brilliant song and I play it loads every day - helped by that mad video. I've downloaded 5-6 other songs and they are pretty poor IMO. Hopefully when they get re-recorded for the upcoming album they will have some better production.

That said, I'm very excited about seeing them tomorrow at Leeds - they are on first thing Saturday and the last band I saw first on at the Carling Festival was another little Welsh outfit called the Stereophonics in '97 so if they can come close to that performance they will be ok!

I do love the 'idea' of the GLC so - all the members look nuts and its a good gimmick. If they can back it up with more songs like "Guns..." they will be huge I reckon - "You f**king knows it"
biggrin.gif

... just to add, the best other GLC song I've heard is "21 Ounces" which starts like Sugar Hill's "Rappers Delight" then the chorus is based on that "21 Seconds to go" song - except replaced with "I've got 21 Ounces of blow..."

Good lyrics and pretty funky tune to...

"sh*t Myself" is one to avoid tho, as it sounds as good as the title.

Saw the "Guns Don't Kill" video the other night... enjoyed it quite a lot - although thought to myself "hope they don't do too many more like this... or else they'll just become a self-parody..."

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Aug. 27 2004,17:13)]Saw the "Guns Don't Kill" video the other night... enjoyed it quite a lot - although thought to myself "hope they don't do too many more like this... or else they'll just become a self-parody..."

rock.gif
They probably have a fairly limited shelf life to be honest with you Matt. But then in the early days The Beastie Boys were considered not much more than a novelty act and yet they managed to carve out a long, succesful and pretty criticaly acclaimed career so who knows...

fwiw, GLC will probably last a couple of months then fade into obscurity. Good hooks, funny lyrics, etc, do not a cool hip-hop group make. I can hardly see Jurassic 5 worried

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Aug. 27 2004,17:58)]fwiw, GLC will probably last a couple of months then fade into obscurity. Good hooks, funny lyrics, etc, do not a cool hip-hop group make. I can hardly see Jurassic 5 worried
Are Jurassic 5 any good? Seeing them at Leeds tomorrow too and know nothing about them...

Recommend any choons?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Aug. 27 2004,17:58)]fwiw, GLC will probably last a couple of months then fade into obscurity. Good hooks, funny lyrics, etc, do not a cool hip-hop group make. I can hardly see Jurassic 5 worried
I agree, they probably will fade into obscurity pretty quickly and are not a serious band. However a bit of fun is not neccesarily a bad thing and is only dangerous if the band start to take themselves seriously (such as The Darkness).

Back