• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Google Nexus One Phone

Looks pretty good but initially on Voda only. Not a big Voda fan so will probably wait for the next edition Iphone which should be out in the summer hopefully.

Its available on T-Mobile at the moment. Will be available on Vodafone in the spring (along with an american provider). You can also buy the handset unlocked (available on all networks except AT&T).

Its available on T-Mobile at the moment. Will be available on Vodafone in the spring (along with an american provider). You can also buy the handset unlocked (available on all networks except AT&T).

Not on TMObile ion the UK is it?

Anyone else think its a bit ironic that they have called it "one phone" baring in mind what it will be challenging is the "iphone", i being one in Roman Numerals (for those that didn't know :)!!! So what we have is more or less two phones competing that are called the same!

However I am a huge admirer of Google and their approach at development (for those that haven't used Google Chrome yet, TRY IT!!!), so I shall be intrigued to here what real people think of it when they use it, as opposed to tech people that will think it is amazing, because they developed it!

On a slightly different subject, I am more looking forward to Google OS!!!

Anyone else think its a bit ironic that they have called it "one phone" baring in mind what it will be challenging is the "iphone", i being one in Roman Numerals (for those that didn't know :)!!! So what we have is more or less two phones competing that are called the same!

However I am a huge admirer of Google and their approach at development (for those that haven't used Google Chrome yet, TRY IT!!!), so I shall be intrigued to here what real people think of it when they use it, as opposed to tech people that will think it is amazing, because they developed it!

On a slightly different subject, I am more looking forward to Google OS!!!

Sorry to burst your bubble but it is called the "Nexus One". I've been reading a few blogs and they say that it has everything that will make it beat the iPhone ON PAPER. The iPhone is an amazing gadget but, from what I have heard, not a good phone. Lets hope that Google have created an amazing gadget AND phone in one.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it is called the "Nexus One". I've been reading a few blogs and they say that it has everything that will make it beat the iPhone ON PAPER. The iPhone is an amazing gadget but, from what I have heard, not a good phone. Lets hope that Google have created an amazing gadget AND phone in one.

Oops, may bad! I must have read quite an old article on this a while ago where it was called that. May have to read the new ones and catch up on it.

Yeah I am hoping that this is actually a phone first and a gadget second, which is where the iphone falls down, because it is just essentially an ipod with the ability to text and call people. Where google are so good is they start from scratch with a clean mind as to what a certain piece of technology should offer and they are very good at listening to people and implementing ideas that crop up a lot, rather than Microsoft who get an idea from 0.5% of there users and think that everyone wants it! And yes i know Microsoft don't make ipod's, i just don't like Microsoft!

Oops, may bad! I must have read quite an old article on this a while ago where it was called that. May have to read the new ones and catch up on it.

Yeah I am hoping that this is actually a phone first and a gadget second, which is where the iphone falls down, because it is just essentially an ipod with the ability to text and call people. Where google are so good is they start from scratch with a clean mind as to what a certain piece of technology should offer and they are very good at listening to people and implementing ideas that crop up a lot, rather than Microsoft who get an idea from 0.5% of there users and think that everyone wants it! And yes i know Microsoft don't make ipod's, i just don't like Microsoft!

Exactly! I was playing with my mates iPhone and I was like "Wow this is amazing" then someone called and I saw him get so frustrated with it. The virtual keyboard is so annoying as you need fingers of a 4 year old to hit the correct key. Google have made it so that it recognises speech very well (this was actually tested and released on the iPhone as an app by Google ...... :)) which means that you can listen to a speech and not listen!

Exactly! I was playing with my mates iPhone and I was like "Wow this is amazing" then someone called and I saw him get so frustrated with it. The virtual keyboard is so annoying as you need fingers of a 4 year old to hit the correct key. Google have made it so that it recognises speech very well (this was actually tested and released on the iPhone as an app by Google ...... :)) which means that you can listen to a speech and not listen!

Yeah I have heard about this speech thing that Google have been developing. Apparently they were told it would never work because you would have to account for so many different accents from around the World, but from what I have heard they are doing very well with it and are already looking to take it further, ie Voice command operating systems, although this is apparently some way off. Also as i mentioned previously if you haven't heard anything about the operating system they are currently developing, you should check it out! They are currently unhappy because it takes 6 seconds from pushing the button to turn it on to being ready to use!!! They want it faster,

Back on the phone subject though, when the iphone was released I wasn't interested at all. The fact i bought an ipod touch didn't help, but this phone is actually make me think, mmm I might get one of those. Might wait for the price to drop though, and for it not to be on Voda!

Yeah I have heard about this speech thing that Google have been developing. Apparently they were told it would never work because you would have to account for so many different accents from around the World, but from what I have heard they are doing very well with it and are already looking to take it further, ie Voice command operating systems, although this is apparently some way off. Also as i mentioned previously if you haven't heard anything about the operating system they are currently developing, you should check it out! They are currently unhappy because it takes 6 seconds from pushing the button to turn it on to being ready to use!!! They want it faster,

Back on the phone subject though, when the iphone was released I wasn't interested at all. The fact i bought an ipod touch didn't help, but this phone is actually make me think, mmm I might get one of those. Might wait for the price to drop though, and for it not to be on Voda!

I have heard about the Google OS (wasn't it called something like Cherry?). When they perfect the voice recognition then there is a huge amount of potential it could bring, (translation, learning a new language etc.). 6 seconds is pretty fast (my iPod touch goes from being off to usable to around 20-30 seconds but it is 2 years old!).

I'm not a fan of Vodafone at all. I'm on O2 (I'm surprised they didn't do a deal with Google to make it exclusively just for O2 but I read that Google have been working very closely with T-Mobile for a long time) and I get unlimited texts for £10 per month and unlimited internet + unlimited texts for £15. Would cost me lots more on Vodafone. £330 is alot for an unlocked one.

Hoping it will be affordable on Vodafone. I've been pleased with them, pay £15/month for 600 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited internet at the moment! Happy Days!
Still got my old E65 which I love and does so much even compared to modern phones. I need to upgrade soon and this may be the answer!

Where google are so good is they start from scratch with a clean mind as to what a certain piece of technology should offer and they are very good at listening to people and implementing ideas that crop up a lot,

Yes these people are called their advertisers, Google are more and more dictated by their advertising revenue streams than ever before. I am getting slightly nervous of their intent after reading recent press releases from the Head Honchos at Mountain View.

I have a Google Android phone and it is fantastic.

Most of the software developers I work with own an iPhone and they all moan about them.

I hope it does really well because Apple need some decent competition in the market. Apple's almost dictatorial stance on their products (you'll like it because we tell you to like it) is even worse than MicroSoft were 10 years ago, the only difference is that their products are streets ahead of the competition.

My only concern with a Google phone is that Google have essentially become an internet advertising company. Will the NexusOne end up becoming a portable marketing tool where users are bombarded with personalised adverts?

I have a Google Android phone and it is fantastic.

Most of the software developers I work with own an iPhone and they all moan about them.

I'm guessing that you only bought the handset.

Could you possibly give us a little review of it please, as I'd prefer to hear it from a 'normal' person than someone who spends all of their time blogging and would only look at the specs and not judge it by the feel and usability.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/01/analysis-yawn-google-introduces-iphone-clone/

Just read this 'interesting' article. This bloke is obviously an iPhone lover. He goes on to say that it is an 'iPhone clone' because it has apps. He knows nothing about business. He says that the Nexus One is better at some things.

He then goes on to offend T-Mobile by calling them a "Smallish cell phone network" (maybe they are in America but they aren't over here!) even though you can get the Nexus One unlocked and you couldn't get the iPhone unlocked, only the PAYG version on O2.

speech recognition for all apps, better camera, video and application multitasking are the ones that caught my eye

He goes onto say that the iPhone is better because it works with iTunes and Nexus One doesn't. Really? Apple made a product that works with their software? GENIUS!

The app store is a fifth of the size, even thought the iPhone has been going longer than the Android market and it is mainly filled with pointless apps.

He then criticises the price by saying it is the same as an iPhone and they should have released it at half the price. £330 for the Nexus One and £450 for the iPhone, only £120 difference and why sell it for a loss?

The fact that this article has had so many bad comments made about it shows how many people completely disagree with him.

I actually prefer personalised ads. At least some are relevant!

Unlike spam emails which are very funny.

"Great deals for credit cards"

"Teeth Whitening at home"

"Your personal fat burning diet" (Thats harsh :( so I forwarded to Fredhelm Holm ;))

"Become a driving instructor and earn £40k"

I'm 17 and weigh 11 stone.

Back